12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default Help! In desperate need of SHADOW info

Q: I am looking for a book or any reference about MBTI that covers cognitive processes, most importantly the SHADOW processes. Anybody know of where I could find such info?
    I want to know more about why and under which cirumstances we switch to the other processes, the shadow.

MBTI
    INTP

This is about the best book around:

Amazon.com: Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence: David Keirsey: Books

It has been a while since I read it. I don't remember anything specifically about Shadow types. It should go into sufficent depth to help. Character (Software) vs. Temperament (Hardware).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Keirsey does not cover Shadow types at all; and technically his system is a variation of MBTI, not "real" MBTI in terms of how he creates his own archetypes. He's more interested in archetypes, per se.

Shadow types have been discussed here a great deal in the past -- use the Search feature to find more.

Linda Berens has done some writing on it as well.
    And John Beebe has done some presentations on it.

There's also the notion of shadow types in terms of "the cliche opposites" (INTP vs ESFJ, for example); that's been discussed in this subforum as well...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Afkan View Post
    Q: I am looking for a book or any reference about MBTI that covers cognitive processes, most importantly the SHADOW processes. Anybody know of where I could find such info?
    I want to know more about why and under which cirumstances we switch to the other processes, the shadow.
    just out of curiosity, I must ask why?

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Keirsey does not cover Shadow types at all; and technically his system is a variation of MBTI, not "real" MBTI in terms of how he creates his own archetypes. He's more interested in archetypes, per se.

Shadow types have been discussed here a great deal in the past -- use the Search feature to find more.

Linda Berens has done some writing on it as well.
    And John Beebe has done some presentations on it.

There's also the notion of shadow types in terms of "the cliche opposites" (INTP vs ESFJ, for example); that's been discussed in this subforum as well...
    Thank you, Totally Twinky. I have read (obsessively) the Keirsey books I and II. I have also searched the forum about the shadow processes, and while the information is helpful, I was hoping for a book I could read with more "meat." I have search for Linda Berens's books, and am considering buying a couple...I will definitely check her out more. And thank you for John Beebe's name, I will look him up also.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    just out of curiosity, I must ask why?

Sure, I welcome you to ask why. You may be dissapointed with my answer, though... intellectual curiosity. May I ask why you ask why?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

curiosity as well.... inquiring minds you know....
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I read something interesting about the shadow functions last night. It was a line from Jung discussing how the limits of human freedom are conditioned upon the limits of self-acceptance. The shadow represents the part of our personality we don't trust, regard as inferior, and can't accept. The book I read it in was Radical Acceptance, Chapter 4ish.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Shadow dynamics in the eight process model is primarily the brainchild of John Beebe. However, he has not really published much of it, so it is mostly from his lectures. Berens books go into them, as do Haas and Hunziker, whose book on type is available on Berens site. Vicky Jo Varner is also another source for a lot of that theory, on her sites, and also in internet discussions in some places. She even goes into how one person's function "talks to" another with the function in a different position.
    But it seems the real meat of the theory would be found in the lectures. I wish they would at least be available in recorded form, but I don't see that anywhere.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

skip the functions and just read keirsey's books. the functions are just the model the system is based on and really dont tell you as much as the temperaments. imho.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1