User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

Okay, I'm gonna be honest here : I can never picture someone I consider intelligent as a S. In a way I don't think I'm misguided since intelligence is subjective to begin with, and I admit I do associate the concept with abstract thinking ever since I was a little kid. Conversely, I highly doubt all the people I consider intelligent (whether I'm consciously using my own definition or not) are all N. So I know I'm not right but I'm not necessarily wrong either.

That being said, I'd like to know how you guys type people when it comes to the N/S dichotomy. What makes a S a S and a N a N, for you, and how can you tell?

MBTI
    INFP

How weirdly they look at me on average. Weird looks usually come from S's, the rest are N's.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

IQ is correlated with the use of the right brain. And right brain use seems to be correlated with N.

I'm just too lazy to give details. So there some truth in it (if you correlate iq with intelligence).

Sensors often have much more sharp memories, and will talk about facts.
    My sensor mother is a real encyclopedia. SJ will be the most likely kind to tell me 'for god sake shave\dress your hair'.

Also S are less likely to get my jokes, and will stare hoping for an explanation. but it's not like it's a rule or something.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I know a few very smart S types. Some of them are focused on different kinds of things than I am, but it doesn't mean they're not smart.

I happen to prefer Ns on average -- but I honestly think most people are stupid and annoying, no matter what type they are...

When I find smart/chill people, I don't care what the hell type they are, I'm just happy to find them. I do tend to type people I think are cool as N at first, for some reason (confirmation bias). But I try to consciously challenge my assumptions, so eventually I'll probably type them correctly.

Anyway, it's hard to type people. Especially smart/mature people -- they sometimes have good use of Thinking AND Feeling or Sensing AND Intuition.

Typing people is somewhat useless, anyway.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    how can you tell?
    Tie them up, throw them in a lake and see if they float.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I know a lot of smart Sensors.
    They are often intelligent, very practical, but unimaginative.
    That is the difference between a smart Sensor and a smart iNtuitive: Creativity.
    Smart Sensors have the same superior reasoning skills as smart Intuitives.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I know a lot of smart Sensors.
    They are often intelligent, very practical, but unimaginative.
    That is the difference between a smart Sensor and a smart iNtuitive: Creativity.
    Smart Sensors have the same superior reasoning skills as smart Intuitives.
    In contrast, I'm a dumb Sensor, which must be why I'm very imaginative and creative.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ...but I'm not necessarily wrong either...
    lmao. thanks. But ignoring the intelligence potshot, my way of telling N vs S is the same as any trait - talk to the person, listen to what he's saying, figure out his interests and motivations as best you can, and go from there....

As you said, it's a preference for abstract thoughts over more realism-based ones. Ns tend to be more interested in talking about patterns/symbolism than, let's say, people/places/things. General over specific - philosophy over neurology/psychology, physics over biology. etc.

As with any trait, there isn't a "fail-proof" test because 6+ billion people don't fit neatly into 16 boxes, let alone 2. You can make some rough generalizations and predictions, but nothing can ever be absolute.

Going back to intelligence and creativity, obviously neither type has a monopoly on creativity or intelligence, although the way it's manifested is often related to type (and not just S vs N, either).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

of course there are a lot of s types that are intelligent and a lot of n's that are not...i would just think the n's are more likely to come up with new ideas.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    IQ is correlated with the use of the right brain. And right brain use seems to be correlated with N.
    *bangs head on table*