• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The humor. The Ss seem to be more inclined to use humor that is based on something that happened. Some funny stuff they saw or a funny joke they remember. The Ns usually imagine stuff that would be funny if it happened.

S is for Slapstick.

N is for Nuance.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Hey, I was thinking this.. and, I have a theory. I would like someone to confirm it, if possible.

The humor. The Ss seem to be more inclined to use humor that is based on something that happened. Some funny stuff they saw or a funny joke they remember. The Ns usually imagine stuff that would be funny if it happened.

I think you're on to something. That's pretty palpable.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like the theory about the humour! And I think it fits most of the people whose types I know for sure. To further explore humour but a little off topic I know I have noticed a dry humour from SJs and impressions used as humpur alot amongst the SPs I know. NFs seem more goofy with their humour and NT celebral sacastic humour! mmmm interesting now I just need to find some MBTI types for comedians with these types of humour!

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Hey, I was thinking this.. and, I have a theory. I would like someone to confirm it, if possible.

Me, I cant tell a joke (in the stand-up style), it is impossible for me, because it never comes out funny. But I often find stuff that is funny if looked at from an absurd perspective.

So what does it say that the two funniest things in the world to me are either when something explodes, or when one of my friends makes up something completely ridiculous that relates to nothing?

My own use of humor tends to manifest itself in awful, awful puns. X3

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
N and S are basically preferences- an N can learn to be more S like and an S can learn to be more N like- it's called adaptation. My ISFJ mom has learned to understand N ramblings and weird associations after 26 years of living in a household of Intuitives, and through having a ton of S friends I learned to slow down occasionally and enjoy things in a sensory manner (mmmm... bubble bath with a glass of wine :wubbie:)

Ss are no less creative- they're just creative in different manners. A lot of art, sports, hiking trails, music and television can be attributed to Sensors- watch an old video of Mohammed Ali boxing and just SAY that the man wasn't creative! :rolli:

Pretty much, the easiest way to figure out the person's preference is by talking to them and seeing what type of descriptives that they use for something- pour them a glass of wine and see if they describe it with flavors and sensations or whether they describe it with associations or abstract adjectives... that'll give you the best idea :D (and you'd never imagine the look on a nice S couple's face when I described a wine as floofy a while back and another as pointy :dry:)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
So what does it say that the two funniest things in the world to me are either when something explodes, or when one of my friends makes up something completely ridiculous that relates to nothing?

You are pyromaniac?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm wondering, Eck, if you know what the letters "I" and "Q" in IQ stand for. *Scratching head here.*

My guidline for guessing the Esses from the Ens is what subjects the conversation tends to.

Esses seem to talk more about people, places and things and Ens about ideas.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I can usually tell with what they talk about. If they discuss abstract thoughts and ideas or things that they imagine then in my mind they would be classified as an N. One thing I have noticed..mind you I only have one N friend ( I wish I knew more)...is when they are doing a simple task they go about it in the most roundabout way. Also while telling a story one thing will catch her attention out of the corner of her eye and then she'll go back to what she was talking about 10 minutes ago.

I've been told by many that I'm a very detailed oriented person. I care about the who, what, where, when, how, why, all that information. I talk about things that have happened or are going to happen in the near future.

In regards to intelligence each type has strengths and weaknesses. Yes N's probably score higher on IQ tests then S's but I think that's because they are geared more to intuitives as opposed to sensors. I also think that for sensors it can be uncomfortable discussing theories that they've never heard of or very abstract topics.

To your theory I do joke a lot about what has happened in the past and with my intuitive friend we joke about things that aren't there or crazy theories or funny anecdotes and freaky connections.

hopefully I made some sense with this!! :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting a little bit better at reading N vs. S.

One thing I noticed about N's is that they are very curious. They like to say things like "I wonder if", "imagine if", "what if".

Sensors tend to go more past or present oriented, talk about things that have already been done or are currently be done. (They are easy for me to tell, too.) I'm still not an expert at reading this but that little trick is making me better.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I'm getting a little bit better at reading N vs. S.

One thing I noticed about N's is that they are very curious. They like to say things like "I wonder if", "imagine if", "what if".

Sensors tend to go more past or present oriented, talk about things that have already been done or are currently be done. (They are easy for me to tell, too.) I'm still not an expert at reading this but that little trick is making me better.

that's what I was trying to get at in my post :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah, honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic title was "Ns love hypotheticals." Now, obviously, Sensors ask "what if" questions too, but they tend to be more along the lines of stuff like "what if it rains later?" or "what would it taste like if I mixed these two sauces together?" whereas intuitives tend to ask questions like "what if you were reincarnated as fruit? :cheese:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The right vs left brain theory merely indicates we have a tendency to use one hemisphere for somethings (like language, logics for left and spatial perception, holistic thinking for right). It does not mean we only use one hemisphere for something. Also the wiring for each person is highly variable. The hemisphere of the brain corresponds to the "correct" activity only in "majority" that is like 60-70% of the ppl. It's true that for certain tasks, like talking... some areas are more important than others and can be affected by brain lesions. (e.g. Broca's aphasia). But those tend to be very specific disorders. When you talk about something like intelligence which is a combination of many processes, your whole brain is involved. Not just the right hemisphere. This is my main objection.

The idea that creativity originates from some pattern of activation I agree to... it's just people generalize too much when it comes to using buzz words like "right-brain thinking" when what they mean is lateral thinking.

I need to bring in the point that IQ tests are changing in that they're focusing more and more on fluid intelligence. As in testing for something that's completely abstract (what's next in the pattern of shapes etc) and bears no resemblance to practical use for real life. If that's your definition of intelligence, then fine by default Ns win.

That's not what intelligence means to me though. To me, how effective and efficient somebody is at solving a problem... and consistently being good over numerous scenarios is a better indicator. I've seen many a times SPs out performing NTs...
did u read my post at all ?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm wondering, Eck, if you know what the letters "I" and "Q" in IQ stand for. *Scratching head here.*

My guidline for guessing the Esses from the Ens is what subjects the conversation tends to.

Esses seem to talk more about people, places and things and Ens about ideas.
intellectual quotient, also known as idiot quotient.
base 100 with a normal deviation of 15 up to like 25 i think.
what was the point of the question ?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
And as I said, it's only if you correlate IQ with intelligence. . .

The correct appellaton is INTELLIGENCE Quotient, Eck. Which makes this statement absurd.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The correct appellaton is INTELLIGENCE Quotient, Eck. Which makes this statement absurd.
In france it's quotient intellectuel, so i made a litteral translation.

I still don't see your point or( why you hate me.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I hate you?

I love kids.

:huh: yees, riightt. glad you get second degree
Are you one of those more mature people who didn't make any sense all their lives and think that extra years are not only an excuse but also a free pass into bullshitting their way through life?