• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Okay, I'm gonna be honest here : I can never picture someone I consider intelligent as a S. In a way I don't think I'm misguided since intelligence is subjective to begin with, and I admit I do associate the concept with abstract thinking ever since I was a little kid. Conversely, I highly doubt all the people I consider intelligent (whether I'm consciously using my own definition or not) are all N. So I know I'm not right but I'm not necessarily wrong either.

That being said, I'd like to know how you guys type people when it comes to the N/S dichotomy. What makes a S a S and a N a N, for you, and how can you tell?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
How weirdly they look at me on average. Weird looks usually come from S's, the rest are N's.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
IQ is correlated with the use of the right brain. And right brain use seems to be correlated with N.

I'm just too lazy to give details. So there some truth in it (if you correlate iq with intelligence).

Sensors often have much more sharp memories, and will talk about facts.
My sensor mother is a real encyclopedia. SJ will be the most likely kind to tell me 'for god sake shave\dress your hair'.

Also S are less likely to get my jokes, and will stare hoping for an explanation. but it's not like it's a rule or something.

redacted

I know a few very smart S types. Some of them are focused on different kinds of things than I am, but it doesn't mean they're not smart.

I happen to prefer Ns on average -- but I honestly think most people are stupid and annoying, no matter what type they are...

When I find smart/chill people, I don't care what the hell type they are, I'm just happy to find them. I do tend to type people I think are cool as N at first, for some reason (confirmation bias). But I try to consciously challenge my assumptions, so eventually I'll probably type them correctly.

Anyway, it's hard to type people. Especially smart/mature people -- they sometimes have good use of Thinking AND Feeling or Sensing AND Intuition.

Typing people is somewhat useless, anyway.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I know a lot of smart Sensors.
They are often intelligent, very practical, but unimaginative.
That is the difference between a smart Sensor and a smart iNtuitive: Creativity.
Smart Sensors have the same superior reasoning skills as smart Intuitives.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is the difference between a smart Sensor and a smart iNtuitive: Creativity.

In contrast, I'm a dumb Sensor, which must be why I'm very imaginative and creative. :cheese:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...but I'm not necessarily wrong either...
lmao. thanks. But ignoring the intelligence potshot, my way of telling N vs S is the same as any trait - talk to the person, listen to what he's saying, figure out his interests and motivations as best you can, and go from there....

As you said, it's a preference for abstract thoughts over more realism-based ones. Ns tend to be more interested in talking about patterns/symbolism than, let's say, people/places/things. General over specific - philosophy over neurology/psychology, physics over biology. etc.

As with any trait, there isn't a "fail-proof" test because 6+ billion people don't fit neatly into 16 boxes, let alone 2. You can make some rough generalizations and predictions, but nothing can ever be absolute.

Going back to intelligence and creativity, obviously neither type has a monopoly on creativity or intelligence, although the way it's manifested is often related to type (and not just S vs N, either).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
of course there are a lot of s types that are intelligent and a lot of n's that are not...i would just think the n's are more likely to come up with new ideas.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm such an extreme N that I just know... Ask them to describe something in their own words then ask them why they used that approach. Usually that method can tell you their temperament if not type.

wolfy

awsm

bullshit.

absolute complete bullshit.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
bullshit.

absolute complete bullshit.

I agree. However I would take it a little step further and borrow Nightnings determination method and say that the way information and references are utilized and leveraged are pretty distinct. Both sides tend to be disproving of the others methods.

wolfy

awsm
I'm such an extreme N that I just know... Ask them to describe something in their own words then ask them why they used that approach. Usually that method can tell you their temperament if not type.

I agree. However I would take it a little step further and borrow Nightnings determination method and say that the way information and references are utilized and leveraged are pretty distinct. Both sides tend to be disproving of the others methods.

Sounds like a good approach.
The mechanics. That's where it's at.

Teach it to me like I'm a five year old.
I'm a sensor ... after all. :devil:

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ask the person if they think people who are really detailed are "REALLY" intelligent. If they say yes, they are an S. If they say no, they are an N.

Roight roight? XD

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
[youtube=tDaiLK0ii0k]I knew it.[/youtube]

If you define intelligence as mental aptitude, it's not tied to a preference.