• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Animal types

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I suck at typing because I'm not enough of a MBTI pseudo-intellectual but I reckon you guys could give it a shot :yes:

So I was thinking earlier (there's probably a topic about this somewhere, hidden) about how it would be cool to think of animal species in terms of types. Any of you have any ideas?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Butterfly: INFP?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why, are you interested in dating one ? :rolli:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eck, go play in another thread, will ya :p

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i believe some animals are intelligent enough to pick up behaviors of different temperaments. take the dog, for example. you have your guards dogs (SJ) and you have you game (?) dog (the ones that hunt and race and crap like that) etc etc...

dogs, unlike most animals, have the cognitive capabilities to pick up on these behaviors and integrate them into their breed. also unlike most animals, dogs and humans have a symbiotic relationship and have been around each other long enough so that they could pick up on it.

dolphins are technically smarter in cognitive sense but obviously they do not hang around humans enough and thus dont pick up any personality traits that resemble human personality traits. they may have their own personalities but we just wouldn
t recognize them quite easily

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Why, are you interested in dating one ? :rolli:

Yep, kicking it old school. Before the skewed moral stances, society takes for granted these days, were even invented.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i believe some animals are intelligent enough to pick up behaviors of different temperaments. take the dog, for example. you have your guards dogs (SJ) and you have you game (?) dog (the ones that hunt and race and crap like that) etc etc...

dogs, unlike most animals, have the cognitive capabilities to pick up on these behaviors and integrate them into their breed. also unlike most animals, dogs and humans have a symbiotic relationship and have been around each other long enough so that they could pick up on it.

dolphins are technically smarter in cognitive sense but obviously they do not hang around humans enough and thus dont pick up any personality traits that resemble human personality traits. they may have their own personalities but we just wouldn
t recognize them quite easily

Very true, therefore if you want to do this, you should take the 'archetype' of the animal, otherwise its gonna be too messy.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Very true, therefore if you want to do this, you should take the 'archetype' of the animal, otherwise its gonna be too messy.

true

though temperament works if one thinks about it for about 5 minutes

problem is, it is early in the morning and im grumpy lol

also let me add:

the dogs aren't actually SPs or SJs or whatever. they do not actually use those ways of thinking. like i always say, mbti is a model for the human cognition and that isn't something that dogs can just grasp. that being said, they can pick up behaviors that are repeated by certain types. behavior is a reflection of cognition and dogs mimic human behavior so in many ways it almost seems like they have personalities

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Hey, if the existence of G-d can be debated so can this :p

Besides, this isn't to be taken too seriously. Obviously MBTI is supposed to be used for human being only.

I like you Butterfly one. There are a few analogies to be made there.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

Besides, this isn't to be taken too seriously. Obviously MBTI is supposed to be used for human being only.
lol ya view above statement (i just edited)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I like you Butterfly one. There are a few analogies to be made there.

Man, I'm all for this thread, I'm just saying to reduce the nitpicking, you should eiter limit it to archytypes or be open to several types per animal depending on the description of said animal by the contributor..

Glad you liked the buttefly one :)

How about ENFP for the archetype of the Black Cat?
And an INTJ for the Snow Owl

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've had cats all my life and some of them have mimicked my behaviors. We've had two cats who have imprinted on my husband. Our ISTJ cats. One we called "The little fire starter." and another "The house frau." The German appellation because she was a bit of a Nazi in her insistence about it all. (I know.)

They would tell my spouse when it was time to perform certain daily tasks, then "follow in front" to lead him to his chores. One we have now helps him shovel snow, rake leaves and helps me dig in the gardens. But she's more disruptive/playful than earnest about getting it done. Must be INFP.

We've had two male cats that I swear were raised with puppies, who met my husband at the garage door when he came home and walked him to the door telling him everything that happened during the day. They also followed us, dog-like, when we went for walks.

I've had four black cats and all of them seemed INFP to me. But I have known E cats as well.

Tortoise shell cats are sometimes called "naughty torties" for their contrary behavior. And a couple of cats I've known were so totally laid back that they fall off of things dozing in their lazy reveries.

I'm not good at typing but I do notice distinct personalities in various animals I've owned.

The primates also mimic humans. Or is it vice-versa? I once watched a gorilla at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago mock a man who stood watching him. It was very sly and clever.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
In general:

Dogs - ESFP
Cats - ISFJ

Lion - ISTJ
Cheetah - ISTP

Chimpanzee - ENFP
Gorilla - INTP

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Have you people read this?

ENTP "The Great White Hunter": King of imaginary bug-chasing. He talks a lot--maybe to you, maybe to something only he can see. Likes to be petted, but only for short periods of time; he's off as soon as the next synapse fires in his brain.

I feel like hugging myself.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
Animals types. INTP = raccoon? I'd like to go with sea otters but they seem a bit too graceful.

I've had cats all my life and some of them have mimicked my behaviors.

For a time when I lived in Maine, I bred Bengals. While some breeders use cages/pens, mine were raised underfoot - subjected to strangers visiting, a dog (our Sheltie/Eskimo mix who adored kittens) and being put in their place by older cats. As a result of both the breed characteristics and the upbringing, they grew to be some of the most gregarious (E)/idiosyncratic (N) cats I've ever known.

I used to get Christmas cards from the people to whom I'd sold kittens - generally outlining what their cat had done over the year and proclaiming "Best Cat Evah." My small way of giving back to the world.

But could someone explain to me how four small 9-wk-old kittens could lift a 25-lb, tile-framed bathroom mirror from the wall and send it crashing to the floor? (ENTP ringleader?)

Anyway, the petite female I owned - Snorkey - had the face of an angel and the soul of a drill sargeant. I once walked into the kitchen and found her walking around with an Exacto knife clenched in her mouth. "Psst. Everybody run - Snorkey has a knife and she's taking no prisoners."

Snorkey absolutely refused to have a litter of kittens unless I was home to tend to her. And as soon as I was home, sitting cross-legged on the floor, she would climb up onto me and flood my lap with amniotic fluid. And that, people, is self-control.

Mango, the male, was OTOH an absolutely gorgeous tri-color-marble with the brains of an arborvitae. He had an unfortunate habit of falling off the ledge of the porch while being petted.Occasionally, he also walked into doors.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmm, I'd say a raccoon is more likely an ENTP
They're always up to some crazy stuff and highly, annoyingly so adaptable.

I would consider the fox probably more INTP-like

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I would consider the fox probably more INTP-like

I could go with that, although INTPs are also very adaptable.

I'm drawn to crows as well. but they're too damn raucous to be INTP. Still, I do have a collection of crows above the cupboards in my kitchen.

I used to have a photograph from the early part of the twentieth century of two of my uncles sitting on the grass. One of them had his companion crow perched on his shoulder.

The only bird I ever had perch on my shoulder while I walked around was a bantam hen.