• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type with the best sense of direction?

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Just something I thought to ask/investigate when getting lost in Atlanta today. :p

Surely not INFJs.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Mine used to be flawless. Not anymore.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ESTJ? maybe ISTJ too
kinda makes sense.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hmm... well.... S types might be able to describe EXACTLY where they are... but NP types can get a general sense of where they are and how to get to their destination.

I have a wonderful sense of direction - navigation wise. But don't ask me about left and right...

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
General sense of direction...? How does that work? The only way I know to get around is to memorize streets and highways. If I don't know exactly how to get somewhere, I figure out which direction it's in, and head that direction. If something's southeast, I'll just keep taking roads that lead southeast until I get where I want!

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
My sense of direction is very poor if going to a place for the first time. However, I never forget a place I have been. And Penelope, don't feel so bad, Atlanta is a horrible mess to navigate.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My sense of direction is very poor if going to a place for the first time. However, I never forget a place I have been. And Penelope, don't feel so bad, Atlanta is a horrible mess to navigate.

<- still has Atlanta memorized from when he lived there...9 years ago? I loved that place. It's like driving through a battlefield. Except no one is shooting at you, and all of the other soldiers don't know wtf they're doing.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
It's like driving through a battlefield. Except no one is shooting at you, and all of the other soldiers don't know wtf they're doing.

Yeah, all while hoping and praying it doesn't start raining...and even worse, God forbid there's a "huge ice storm" that will cripple the city for 2-3 days. Any day it's raining I know it's gonna be at least and hour and a half to get back home! Oh ATL, how I love and hate you all at the same time!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i would guess istj.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mine on the other hand is TERRIBLE!!!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah, all while hoping and praying it doesn't start raining...and even worse, God forbid there's a "huge ice storm" that will cripple the city for 2-3 days. Any day it's raining I know it's gonna be at least and hour and a half to get back home! Oh ATL, how I love and hate you all at the same time!

I guess it doesn't help that I didn't know how to drive when I lived there. That didn't stop me from knowing the city better than the majority of the people I knew that COULD drive. I was like, "WTF, how do you NOT know what each exit on 285 is?" :doh:

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Not INTJ. :D

If I think about the fact that I have to get back to where I was while I go somewhere, then I can do it. But this takes major conscious effort.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pretty much what they've said. :yes:
General sense of direction...? How does that work? The only way I know to get around is to memorize streets and highways. If I don't know exactly how to get somewhere, I figure out which direction it's in, and head that direction. If something's southeast, I'll just keep taking roads that lead southeast until I get where I want!
I expect them to have the roads memorized. I'm still amazed by my friends who've grown up here and don't know the names and numbers of roads and highways. But that just means I get to tell them, and I love doing that. So we all win.

Last edited:

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
<- still has Atlanta memorized from when he lived there...9 years ago? I loved that place. It's like driving through a battlefield. Except no one is shooting at you, and all of the other soldiers don't know wtf they're doing.

Ugh, that is so true. Not only is there a complete lack of a grid system (it's more like triangle-system), but the other drivers are insane and/or stupid. Plus, you have to watch out for drunk homeless guys trying to cross the street in the middle of traffic. It's like Frogger on steroids.

But I just tend to get lost wherever I am. :(

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm... well.... S types might be able to describe EXACTLY where they are... but NP types can get a general sense of where they are and how to get to their destination.

I have a wonderful sense of direction - navigation wise. But don't ask me about left and right...

This is right on from my perspective. My ISTJ always defers to me regarding navigation when we are traveling. Somehow I instinctively know where I am relative to where I want to go even when I don't know where I am. Don't ask what that means. Can't put it in words.

I can also look through a phonebook and pick out the perfect restaurant. Don't know how I do that.

In a sense I am always "lost" because street names and numbers don't register with me. It's more instinctual traveling somehow.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
well i'm an ISFP and I got lost in columbia, maryland which is a planned community..I got lost for 2 hours because everything looked the same and I didn't have my glasses at the time :( very frustrating! Although with my new glasses I'm very good at reading street signs and figuring out where I need to go :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Nah, if I'm truly an ISTJ, then no it's not true. My sense of direction is horrible.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm a human gps.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nah, if I'm truly an ISTJ, then no it's not true. My sense of direction is horrible.

Mine isn't so good either. But like the other SJs said, I can remember streets pretty much forever. Street names and N/S/E/W confuse me to no end unless I have landmarks and images in my head to go by.