• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and feeling special

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think some N types are just as closed-minded as S types, and some S types are totally chill and accepting (and smart, and fun to be around).

Very true. At times I get sick of my intellectually arrogant NT friends. My IS friends are much more fun and accepting, as a whole.

redacted

I've always classified people into "intuitive" and "not intuitive," basically based on who would discuss and think about my [well-researched] theories about people and the world. Some of those who wouldn't I've since found out are classified as "intuitive" in MBTI, but I still think "not that intuitive." MBTI's baseline for intuition is way too low ;)

Or they're just interested in different ideas than you are. You can't use yourself as a baseline for a trait like that.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or they're just interested in different ideas than you are. You can't use yourself as a baseline for a trait like that.

It's just an automatic thing that I've always done. And they're my own personal thoughts, only for me, so I can use whatever baseline I wish.

redacted

It's just an automatic thing that I've always done. And they're my own personal thoughts, only for me, so I can use whatever baseline I wish.

True, you can use whatever baseline you wish, but it's not necessarily going to correlate well with other people's definitions, which becomes a problem in discussion.

I wasn't trying to attack you; sorry if it came off that way. I just think if you are discussing theories, you need to make sure to use the terms in the same way everyone else uses them OR explicitly redefine them, otherwise people are going to misunderstand you and argue with you even when you aren't wrong...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Wouldn't most on the forum, all N and I types, write "as an xNxx or Ixxx I have a love for psychology and understanding people".

I was wondering in the OP if it all stemmed from of a feeling of not being understood?

:)

Yeh, being not understood was a factor. I didn't really realise the extent of it till recently though. I'm normally understood quite well on most levels, but some type's inability to see me on a core level became more clear recently. Which is probably why intuitive thinking often got shut down by S types, and seen as random hence pointless information. (which as you said earlier can be the source of some bitterness among Ns). Introverted feeling has always got a hard ride too. You wouldn't believe how hard it is sometimes to smile and be nice about a comment like "so you do have feelings". The whole F style thinking gets a hard ride from Ts also. Though it can be shown to often be as accurate and maybe more efficient when it comes to answers.

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Introverted feeling has always got a hard ride too. You wouldn't believe how hard it is sometimes to smile and be nice about a comment like "so you do have feelings". The whole F style thinking gets a hard ride from Ts also. Though it can be shown to often be as accurate and maybe more efficient when it comes to answers.

Yeah, I often consider the xNFPs among my friends, those with a strong balanced Fi, to be the wisest and most nuanced - when they are not being excessively goofy - in conversation.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just think if you are discussing theories, you need to make sure to use the terms in the same way everyone else uses them OR explicitly redefine them, otherwise people are going to misunderstand you and argue with you even when you aren't wrong...

If they were really intuitive, they wouldn't need it redefined, they would just know :newwink:

But seriously, I'm always wiling to explain more or differently if they are willing to keep an open mind.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think there may be some closet Sensors on this site anyway, :)

Evan said:
I think some N types are just as closed-minded as S types, and some S types are totally chill and accepting (and smart, and fun to be around).
I agree with that. My INTJ friend is the most narrow-minded person I know. He has no tolerance for any opinions/beliefs that are not his own.
He's an N over an S since he also is very creative, intellectual, and not practical. However, his J side really shows.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
"May be some" is a giant understatement.
:yes:

the entp description I first read felt like somebody very observant had been stalking me with a passion.
I was into a body language, neurolinguistical prog, psychological studies period then.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Is MBTI only appealing for those who feel unusual, misunderstood, or like they 'do not fit in''?

For many, it seems that it's the impression of being dissociated from peers, or having society work against them, that drives them to exploring MBTI.

Thoughts?

Yeah. Sure it matters. Why would I be interested in a theory that says that I am normal... :devil:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't say that someone who really fit in all that well in real life would probably spend as much time online talking about theories and shit like a lot of us here do ;)

I'd say that someone who doesn't necissarily fit in with most people they know (or get really f***ing bored with them) will probably both be more likely to research personality theory (why don't I fit in?) and more likely to kill a lot of time fooling around online and such... and let's face it- a lot of Ns are kind of weird :doh:

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I identified more with the 4w5 description, but together they cover it pretty well.

For many, it seems that it's the impression of being dissociated from peers, or having society work against them, that drives them to exploring MBTI.

I never felt rejected by others or hindered by society; I thought that the kids my age were somehow lacking and that others seemed to think me different than I was. I rather rejected the external world at that time in favor of my own, more fascinating mind.

When you find a description that fits you so well it really is validating, but I agree that it can cause arrogance and bias. I see it more as a scale; my parents are both ISFJs, but my father is much more interesting to talk to than my mom.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:strawman: wierd? I'm not wierd! :violin:

no, no... OTHER Ns are weird, ENTPs are the normal seeming people of the MBTI! :D

normal like a 6 month labrador puppy on crack wandering through the morgue of a hospital....

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
whatever said:
no, no... OTHER Ns are weird, ENTPs are the normal seeming people of the MBTI!
Ah, that's why those ISFJ's always weird me out!

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, ENTPs are perfectly sane.
USFL98_035-walt-disney.jpg

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't say that someone who really fit in all that well in real life would probably spend as much time online talking about theories and shit like a lot of us here do ;)

Facebook for them it is! ;)

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Ok, so how was this test performed? Can't seem to find anything on the website.

A lot of different studies show different things. But I do understand the allure of being the regrettably rare but sweet type that no one understands.

I wonder if the less common types became more common, would they actually be happier?

EDIT: I just want to add that there is a great gift in being misunderstood. I don't think many people realize that.