• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and feeling special

G

garbage

Originally, I fell in a trap with the N/S dichotomy.

It created two groups:
the vast majority superficial, a small minority deep.

This is of course is entirely wrong. Only, I am afraid that many are drawn to MBTI feeling like they belong to a small "enlightened" community surrounded by the crowd of Ss, ESXX in particular, for who the world is better adjusted.

Yeah, I personally don't use MBTI as a way of viewing myself as superior to others, especially out of mere rarity. I think that flies in the face of the real purpose of the MBTI, anyway. Gifts Differing is titled as such for a reason.

Sure, it's helped me identify why my strengths are my strengths, but it also helps identify strengths present in other people and the roles that they can play. If anything, I'm much, much more accepting of others because of the model.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I wonder if the less common types became more common, would they actually be happier?

EDIT: I just want to add that there is a great gift in being misunderstood. I don't think many people realize that.

I think it's possible that the less common types would be happier if they were more common. They would have grown up in an accepting society well adapted for their particular needs.

It seems that the people most attached to their 'unique' status are compensating for the lack of understanding they've found in others; this would be an unlikely issue for someone with a common personality type.

As for being misunderstood- sometimes the language barrier makes conversation quite frustrating.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm, MBTI etc, was the first step in what appears to be quite a journey of self discovery for me. Yes, I did seek it because I was a misfit. I was 22, and desperately looking for an explanation as why I was the way I was. Several work mates, and the church I belong to at the time (I no longer participate in organized religion), all kinda pushed me into being officially tested. I came out as INXP. Through discussion and well, reading of the profiles, it was obvious I was INFP (although, I do identify with the INTP profile, particulary the intellectual arrogance part, ha, ha).
From that I discovered HSP (which I identify more with), and the possibility that I may have been an unrecognized gifted child .
I digress, what I was trying to say MBTI has acted as a key to start unlocking the puzzle that is me.
It's also a great communication tool. As for the sensor basis, LOL, I do share it in concept, but in reality, most of my significant relationships have been with S'es, having said that I have also suffered a great deal at their hands too. SP's are fun though.
MBTI, oddly can serve as armour, as well. INXX tend to need it whether as a reasoning tool or a seed of understanding.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I wasn't ever obsessed with personality theories. However, I've always had an affinity for management. Well, just learning about it. Actually practicing it...no. I can sit in the Management/leadership section of Barnes & Noble for hours. I ended up taking the StrengthsFinder test which was pretty accurate. I took the MBTI once when I heard a coworker talking about it. I scored INTJ first, but then found out later I was an ISTJ.

I always felt different from everyone else. I was always so quiet, independent, yet so rigid, logical and anti-social. MBTI kind of just showed me that I wasn't weird. I just think a lack of an acknowledgment can definitely lead you to think that there's something wrong with you. It's especially a problem for introverts living in an extraverted world. I think it was just the introvert thing that hurt me the most my entire life.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's possible that the less common types would be happier if they were more common. They would have grown up in an accepting society well adapted for their particular needs.

It seems that the people most attached to their 'unique' status are compensating for the lack of understanding they've found in others; this would be an unlikely issue for someone with a common personality type.

As for being misunderstood- sometimes the language barrier makes conversation quite frustrating.

mmmm.....this is obvious. Which is why I find the whole NT/NF divide here weird.
IRL, particularly back in my home country, we were kinda the ship wreak survivors, clinging to each other because at least we understood each other, because the sport freaks didn't get us at all.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
MBTI kind of just showed me that I wasn't weird. I just think a lack of an acknowledgment can definitely lead you to think that there's something wrong with you. It's especially a problem for introverts living in an extraverted world. I think it was just the introvert thing that hurt me the most my entire life.
But see? The Intuitors are saying the same thing. They differ from the "majority" of society in the N/S, just as you differ in the I/E. We all just want to be understood. :violin:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
But see? The Intuitors are saying the same thing. They differ from the "majority" of society in the N/S, just as you differ in the I/E. We all just want to be understood. :violin:

I've always noticed Ns. I actually thought that there were more Ns than Ss and that I just wasn't as sharp as them.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI actually makes me feel unspecial. But now I feel more one with others. (If that makes sense.)

When I realized my real type I was like. "wow, thats a little eerie. I thought all of these things were just weird quirks... I thought I was different....Now I know that 8% of the population is quite similar to me. Cool!!!"

Then I shouted out the window.. "I'm not a weird freak!!! i'm not a weird freak!!!"

(just kidding, that second part didn't happen.)

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Thats kind of sad and it makes sense. I guess when you are misunderstood for so long you start to cling to your uniqueness because its all you have.

At the same time, being a minority allows you to transcend many of societies pitfalls like conformity. It's usually the "rarer" types that end up making the largest impact. Don't give up and don't make excuses. People who have a different view of the world need to voice their opinions to shake things up. Society becomes mundane otherwise.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
According to CAPT the rarest types are:

INFJ 1-3% of total population
INTJ 2-4%
ENTP 2-5%
ENTJ 2-5%
INTP 3-5%
INFP 4-5%
ESTP 4-5%
ISTP 4-6%
ENFP 6-8%

Either the last ~50 sets of frequency data I've read over the past decade are way off, or the CAPT figures are way off. Thanks for posting that, interesting to see another set of data, especially one that doesn't figure ESTPs are ~25% of the population.

Anyway, I don't think that being rare or commonplace makes you special per se. However, it does affect the study and understanding of typology imho. If I can define part of my difficulty with others as due to the fact that I am so different from them, then that gives me a start point to work on understanding how to better communicate with people and come to a place of understanding with them. For example, from Please Understand me by Keirsey:

"The purposes of SPs, SJs, and NTs are understood by SPs, SJ, and NTs alike, although they may not embrace them... None of these understand the aim of the NF, and in turn, the NF cannot really grasp the others' commitment to what seems to the NF to be false goals."

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh I'm special, oh so "special".

tess2008

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me, discovering MBTI and my type was extremely beneficial. I think all of us already know that there's something very dynamic about people and interraction and differences in behavious and thought. As soon as I began to understand the distinction between 'N' and 'S,' I just felt extremely comforted because I felt like everything I thought I knew (but doubted hugely) had been validated by other people. I actually believe the process of learning about MBTI made me feel less 'special.' Most of my friends and family are S's, and I always felt like they never quite understood what the hell I was talking about :shock:, and they could never care about the things I could properly (and vice versa). This used to make me very apathetic, and made me feel very alone, unique and 'special,' it made me believe that nobody would ever understand me. Now that I know that there are others VERY similar to me, I don't feel 'special' anymore, but I do feel validated and happier.

I think, though MBTI certainly can't be used to classify every aspect of people (and can't be taken as the 'absolute truth') that it's SUCH AN IMPORTANT SYSTEM. I think the distinction that has been made between N and S is very, very important. I think there is a lot of 'S hatred' amongst groups of N's, but then again what can you expect? Especially upon discovering this distinction, N's would feel like 'hey, maybe I can be thankful/ proud of the way I am' and also, 'why hasn't anyone ever validated the way I am?'

I think it's so important to respect that yes, N's are (often) opressed. I had always felt I was 'wrong' or 'off' in the way I thought and behaved. That's what the largest chunk of society always shown me. Now that I know there are others, I feel like who I am is a gift, that the world needs people with a different way of thinking and doing. This also fills me with resentment at the thought that I was trying to (and being pressured to) change, to fit the mould.

This said, I've never not respected S types. They are (most of) the world and I love the world. The problem was that I didn't feel comfortable or sure about my position in the world. I think it's important that N's are validated, because insecurity about your very composition as a person causes you to shrink away and not give what you could, and I think N's should confidently present the world with their perspective. Just as S's have, and hence created (primarily) the society and traditions the world offers us at present.

:shock::doh:

PurpleDusk

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is MBTI only appealing for those who feel unusual, misunderstood, or like they 'do not fit in''?

I think the people who are more likely to be interested in MBTI are those who are unsure of themselves and where they fit into societys social structure. They research it to find out why they are the way they are and then wonder..."Are there others out there who feel like me?"...then BAM! They end up at typology central. :yes:

So yes Tayshaun, I think your theory is quite right or is one of many possible ones that make sense.

Snow Turtle

I think the people who are more likely to be interested in MBTI are those who are unsure of themselves and where they fit into societys social structure. They research it to find out why they are the way they are and then wonder..."Are there others out there who feel like me?"...then BAM! They end up at typology central. :yes:

So yes Tayshaun, I think your theory is quite right or is one of many possible ones that make sense.

Think that's it really.
I felt extremely different to most people, but at the same time I do feel that lots of people can relate to me. MBTI showed me that there are indeed lots of people who operate similar to me, which did suck at first... :huh:

Overall the internet/forum community seems to be composed more of intuitives than sensors.