ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Oh I'm special, oh so "special".

MBTI
    INFJ

For me, discovering MBTI and my type was extremely beneficial. I think all of us already know that there's something very dynamic about people and interraction and differences in behavious and thought. As soon as I began to understand the distinction between 'N' and 'S,' I just felt extremely comforted because I felt like everything I thought I knew (but doubted hugely) had been validated by other people. I actually believe the process of learning about MBTI made me feel less 'special.' Most of my friends and family are S's, and I always felt like they never quite understood what the hell I was talking about , and they could never care about the things I could properly (and vice versa). This used to make me very apathetic, and made me feel very alone, unique and 'special,' it made me believe that nobody would ever understand me. Now that I know that there are others VERY similar to me, I don't feel 'special' anymore, but I do feel validated and happier.

I think, though MBTI certainly can't be used to classify every aspect of people (and can't be taken as the 'absolute truth') that it's SUCH AN IMPORTANT SYSTEM. I think the distinction that has been made between N and S is very, very important. I think there is a lot of 'S hatred' amongst groups of N's, but then again what can you expect? Especially upon discovering this distinction, N's would feel like 'hey, maybe I can be thankful/ proud of the way I am' and also, 'why hasn't anyone ever validated the way I am?'

I think it's so important to respect that yes, N's are (often) opressed. I had always felt I was 'wrong' or 'off' in the way I thought and behaved. That's what the largest chunk of society always shown me. Now that I know there are others, I feel like who I am is a gift, that the world needs people with a different way of thinking and doing. This also fills me with resentment at the thought that I was trying to (and being pressured to) change, to fit the mould.

This said, I've never not respected S types. They are (most of) the world and I love the world. The problem was that I didn't feel comfortable or sure about my position in the world. I think it's important that N's are validated, because insecurity about your very composition as a person causes you to shrink away and not give what you could, and I think N's should confidently present the world with their perspective. Just as S's have, and hence created (primarily) the society and traditions the world offers us at present.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    Is MBTI only appealing for those who feel unusual, misunderstood, or like they 'do not fit in''?
    I think the people who are more likely to be interested in MBTI are those who are unsure of themselves and where they fit into societys social structure. They research it to find out why they are the way they are and then wonder..."Are there others out there who feel like me?"...then BAM! They end up at typology central.

So yes Tayshaun, I think your theory is quite right or is one of many possible ones that make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleDusk View Post
    I think the people who are more likely to be interested in MBTI are those who are unsure of themselves and where they fit into societys social structure. They research it to find out why they are the way they are and then wonder..."Are there others out there who feel like me?"...then BAM! They end up at typology central.

So yes Tayshaun, I think your theory is quite right or is one of many possible ones that make sense.
    Think that's it really.
    I felt extremely different to most people, but at the same time I do feel that lots of people can relate to me. MBTI showed me that there are indeed lots of people who operate similar to me, which did suck at first...

Overall the internet/forum community seems to be composed more of intuitives than sensors.