User Tag List

First 3456 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    Originally, I fell in a trap with the N/S dichotomy.

It created two groups:
    the vast majority superficial, a small minority deep.

This is of course is entirely wrong. Only, I am afraid that many are drawn to MBTI feeling like they belong to a small "enlightened" community surrounded by the crowd of Ss, ESXX in particular, for who the world is better adjusted.
    Yeah, I personally don't use MBTI as a way of viewing myself as superior to others, especially out of mere rarity. I think that flies in the face of the real purpose of the MBTI, anyway. Gifts Differing is titled as such for a reason.

Sure, it's helped me identify why my strengths are my strengths, but it also helps identify strengths present in other people and the roles that they can play. If anything, I'm much, much more accepting of others because of the model.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    I wonder if the less common types became more common, would they actually be happier?

EDIT: I just want to add that there is a great gift in being misunderstood. I don't think many people realize that.
    I think it's possible that the less common types would be happier if they were more common. They would have grown up in an accepting society well adapted for their particular needs.

It seems that the people most attached to their 'unique' status are compensating for the lack of understanding they've found in others; this would be an unlikely issue for someone with a common personality type.

As for being misunderstood- sometimes the language barrier makes conversation quite frustrating.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmmm, MBTI etc, was the first step in what appears to be quite a journey of self discovery for me. Yes, I did seek it because I was a misfit. I was 22, and desperately looking for an explanation as why I was the way I was. Several work mates, and the church I belong to at the time (I no longer participate in organized religion), all kinda pushed me into being officially tested. I came out as INXP. Through discussion and well, reading of the profiles, it was obvious I was INFP (although, I do identify with the INTP profile, particulary the intellectual arrogance part, ha, ha).
    From that I discovered HSP (which I identify more with), and the possibility that I may have been an unrecognized gifted child .
    I digress, what I was trying to say MBTI has acted as a key to start unlocking the puzzle that is me.
    It's also a great communication tool. As for the sensor basis, LOL, I do share it in concept, but in reality, most of my significant relationships have been with S'es, having said that I have also suffered a great deal at their hands too. SP's are fun though.
    MBTI, oddly can serve as armour, as well. INXX tend to need it whether as a reasoning tool or a seed of understanding.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    LoLz

I wasn't ever obsessed with personality theories. However, I've always had an affinity for management. Well, just learning about it. Actually practicing it...no. I can sit in the Management/leadership section of Barnes & Noble for hours. I ended up taking the StrengthsFinder test which was pretty accurate. I took the MBTI once when I heard a coworker talking about it. I scored INTJ first, but then found out later I was an ISTJ.

I always felt different from everyone else. I was always so quiet, independent, yet so rigid, logical and anti-social. MBTI kind of just showed me that I wasn't weird. I just think a lack of an acknowledgment can definitely lead you to think that there's something wrong with you. It's especially a problem for introverts living in an extraverted world. I think it was just the introvert thing that hurt me the most my entire life.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    I think it's possible that the less common types would be happier if they were more common. They would have grown up in an accepting society well adapted for their particular needs.

It seems that the people most attached to their 'unique' status are compensating for the lack of understanding they've found in others; this would be an unlikely issue for someone with a common personality type.

As for being misunderstood- sometimes the language barrier makes conversation quite frustrating.
    mmmm.....this is obvious. Which is why I find the whole NT/NF divide here weird.
    IRL, particularly back in my home country, we were kinda the ship wreak survivors, clinging to each other because at least we understood each other, because the sport freaks didn't get us at all.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    MBTI kind of just showed me that I wasn't weird. I just think a lack of an acknowledgment can definitely lead you to think that there's something wrong with you. It's especially a problem for introverts living in an extraverted world. I think it was just the introvert thing that hurt me the most my entire life.
    But see? The Intuitors are saying the same thing. They differ from the "majority" of society in the N/S, just as you differ in the I/E. We all just want to be understood.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    But see? The Intuitors are saying the same thing. They differ from the "majority" of society in the N/S, just as you differ in the I/E. We all just want to be understood.
    I've always noticed Ns. I actually thought that there were more Ns than Ss and that I just wasn't as sharp as them.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

MBTI actually makes me feel unspecial. But now I feel more one with others. (If that makes sense.)

When I realized my real type I was like. "wow, thats a little eerie. I thought all of these things were just weird quirks... I thought I was different....Now I know that 8% of the population is quite similar to me. Cool!!!"

Then I shouted out the window.. "I'm not a weird freak!!! i'm not a weird freak!!!"

(just kidding, that second part didn't happen.)

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post

Thats kind of sad and it makes sense. I guess when you are misunderstood for so long you start to cling to your uniqueness because its all you have.

At the same time, being a minority allows you to transcend many of societies pitfalls like conformity. It's usually the "rarer" types that end up making the largest impact. Don't give up and don't make excuses. People who have a different view of the world need to voice their opinions to shake things up. Society becomes mundane otherwise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    According to CAPT the rarest types are:

INFJ 1-3% of total population
    INTJ 2-4%
    ENTP 2-5%
    ENTJ 2-5%
    INTP 3-5%
    INFP 4-5%
    ESTP 4-5%
    ISTP 4-6%
    ENFP 6-8%
    Either the last ~50 sets of frequency data I've read over the past decade are way off, or the CAPT figures are way off. Thanks for posting that, interesting to see another set of data, especially one that doesn't figure ESTPs are ~25% of the population.

Anyway, I don't think that being rare or commonplace makes you special per se. However, it does affect the study and understanding of typology imho. If I can define part of my difficulty with others as due to the fact that I am so different from them, then that gives me a start point to work on understanding how to better communicate with people and come to a place of understanding with them. For example, from Please Understand me by Keirsey:

"The purposes of SPs, SJs, and NTs are understood by SPs, SJ, and NTs alike, although they may not embrace them... None of these understand the aim of the NF, and in turn, the NF cannot really grasp the others' commitment to what seems to the NF to be false goals."
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM