User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm an ESTJ and I'm an only child.

I was actually kind of offended by the whole "imaginary friend" thing. Being an only child is not so miserable as to require THAT! (unless the parent-kid relationship is bad... that would suck!) I was never lonely. It was probably my MBTI type that helped me with that, actually - I'm excellent at finding things to do, and I have been since I was very little. (My parents don't remember me being bored EVER until maybe middle school!) I'm positive, though, that my lack of siblings is the reason why I score so low on E. I was so self-reliant that I often forgot the concept of "hanging out with friends". And I wasn't so sad about it, either! Not that I disliked being with friends - it was fun... well, hopefully other only children know what I'm talking about.

I do express my emotions very easily, but that certainly doesn't come from prior success with tantrums. My parents had no tolerance for that - I was not a spoiled kid.
    The tantrum thing would indeed be variable based on parenting styles. But what would be common is having the undivided (or less divided) attention of the parents and probably having your feelings acknowledged (either positively or negatively).

I am guessing that N Onlies would be much more likely to have imaginary friends than S Onlies.

I didn't have imaginary friends, but my brother and I (both Onlys), when we did play together would often create imaginary worlds for our stuffed animals to have adventures in. Its almost like we were playing alone with each other.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?

I'm an INTP first born. I suppose his description of what happens with first borns was possibly the case for me... I wouldn't remember though. I did become the 'good kid', and may have somewhat tried to perform. I actually fulfill the second-born description better - maybe because my brother was just a more natural performer than me, regardless of the 2 years I had on him. I'd say I'm mostly a mixture of his first- and second-born descriptions.

These descriptions are particularly interesting for me because I come from a family of four. While the first two were, I think, thrown off by my strong INTP-ness, the third- and fourth-born descriptions are right on the money for my little brother and sister. I don't know the type of the middle two kids, but I know my fourth-born sister is an ISxJ, so she can contribute a fourth-born statistic.

Also, both of my parents were first-borns and they are an ENTJ and an ISFx.

MBTI
    INFP

I think the thing about family patterns also is that they are more easily viewed in retrospect by the insiders. When you're "in it" it's much more difficult to get the picture.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by LunaIndigo View Post
    I'm an only and an ENFP. I can identify with the feeling of being lonley through out childhood and had many imaginary 'siblings'.
    Interesting. I never felt lonely, and relished the attention of being the only. I am also an only, and an ENxP.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Interesting. I never felt lonely, and relished the attention of being the only. I am also an only, and an ENxP.
    I guess it just depends on how your childhood was. My parents faught a lot so I felt more 'alone'.
    ENFP 4w5

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm the second born and I'm and ENTJ

My brother is the first born and he is an INTJ

My dad is the first and he is an INTP

My mom is the fourth and she is an ESFJ, and all four of her sisters are XSFJs.

Mine does fit me for the most part. I am afraid of being inadequate.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm fourth and last born (ENFP).

I didn't get what exactly he meant by "trying hard" in the 4th born's description ...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I read up on birth order a few years back. . Leeman? (forgot his name), and listened to his podcast..

It was also mentioned in a Counseling Theories and Techniques class of mine (topic I signed up for that interested me at that time)..

When the class had a show of hands, we did a count on those who were attracted to the profession as a whole, according to their birth order. Surprisingly, we found no correlation, but I still find this topic fun to read up on, especially when it comes to mate selection- those who we tend to find intriguing according to birth order (supposedly, the youngest are the ham, which I find is true).

It's funny. I know some first-borns who were less *serious* than the last borns, vice versa. Some last borns are even more serious/shy than the first born.

it's fascinating how people develop.. especially in multiple birth circumstances.. twins, triplets, and families with 10 kids+. My aunt/uncle really dug each other, and kids who grew up in foster-care environments.. I have a soft spot for them.. Their birth order changes according to their situation. Interesting..

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

only child
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

INFP, and I could be either the second, third, or fifth born, depending on how its looked at. Also the youngest. Its a little different with my family; I can identfify more with the second child, but my older sister is more of a third, older brother an only, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Erudur View Post
    The Only learns to play alone without feeling lonely, dislikes intrusion, and can be overly expressive via the positive feedback created by the tantrum.
    I'm pretty sure this just means that there's increased feedback instead of actually getting rewarded for their behavior. IOW, positive as in more, not positive as in good. It seems he's saying that they can be attention whores.