User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

Default What is introversion?

Simple question, so it leaves a lot of room for answers.

It seems like a lot of people on here don't know what introversion really is, including myself. Seems like every trait of an introvert has been scrutinized to the point that they lose all meaning. Is there really a definition to lump all introverts together?

MBTI
    IsTP

I generally prefer my own company and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Is there really a definition to lump all introverts together?
    At least your intent is noble.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTP

Devotion, complete interest, and precedent placed on my thoughts. Imagination is one of my most cherished traits. It needs constant fuel and a desire to remain somewhat detached and isolated. Focus turned inward. Control of self is the most comforting and desirable thing. Somewhat constant struggle to achieve it. Thoughts are sorted out before further action. Self emanates from mind.

*My self perception.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think the definition of an introvert is a person who takes energy from being alone. I see introverts and extroverts like battery chargers that need a different kind of outlet to charge up in. Introverts need to be away from people to recharge. It's the solitude that they plug into. Extroverts use people to recharge, is the social energy that they plug into. That's how I see it at least. (example: I'm an introvert, when I'm upset or hurt I want to be alone. My father is an extrovert, when he's upset or hurt he wants people with him ALL THE TIME).
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    I generally prefer my own company and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...
    And you think this is true for all introverts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    At least your intent is noble.
    I just want to understand if introversion is actually something significant. It seems like the definition of introversion is always being expanded upon to the point where it almost seems irrelevant now. I'd like to hear some of your insights Mycroft.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Devotion, complete interest, and precedent placed on my thoughts. Imagination is one of my most cherished traits. It needs constant fuel and a desire to remain somewhat detached and isolated. Focus turned inward. Control of self is the most comforting and desirable thing. Somewhat constant struggle to achieve it. Thoughts are sorted out before further action. Self emanates from mind.
    *My self perception.
    very interesting. Some of those things you said never seem to be associated with being an introvert but seem to be something that could be thought on more. Do you think most introverts show these traits?

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    I think the definition of an introvert is a person who takes energy from being alone. I see introverts and extroverts like battery chargers that need a different kind of outlet to charge up in. Introverts need to be away from people to recharge. It's the solitude that they plug into. Extroverts use people to recharge, is the social energy that they plug into. That's how I see it at least. (example: I'm an introvert, when I'm upset or hurt I want to be alone. My father is an extrovert, when he's upset or hurt he wants people with him ALL THE TIME).
    This seems like one of the things that isn't true for everyone. Some extraverts would say they go into isolation when upset. Is it really as simple as "where you get your energy"?

violaine

And you think this is true for all introverts?
    True for me. I don't really suffer without the company of others... though love spending time with the people I love. I like socializing, but I really don't need it. Explanation via e.g.: I went to a party recently I didn't know the hosts well (both extroverts) not at all shy about going alone. I talked with loads of different people until 8am the following morning. That afternoon they rang and wanted to do it again... ('are you serious, no way, see you in a month!') Love people, but they still drain me.

I just think of introverts as more 'self-contained', in that their preference is for the inner world or the life of the mind as opposed to life in the outside world. <---- An extrovert or other introverts may want to tinker with that definition. As there are varying degrees of extroversion and introversion, may be hard to be any more specific about it.

This seems like one of the things that isn't true for everyone. Some extraverts would say they go into isolation when upset. Is it really as simple as "where you get your energy"?
    ^hmm, I think those may be two different things though.

I am energized and regroup by having alone time. Unscheduled do-whatever-I-want alone time. Not being interrupted by another person. If I don't have it, I become very unhappy! I know a lot of extroverts say they need this too, but I suspect they can go a lot longer without it. I need it at regular intervals regardless. I would imagine an extrovert can fit it in around their interactions with other people?? (Just guessing.)

I also prefer my own company when I'm very upset, though I try not to shut my partner out if they want to be around.

EDIT: Basically, I feel weird if I'm around people for too long or unrelentingly. I will crave alone time. I think an extrovert on the other hand will feel agitated if they are not around people for an extended period of time and will crave company.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

E=The desire to engage the world of people, directly or indirectly.
    I=The desire to avoid the world of people.

N/T=The ability to get straight to the nits & grits & cut out the BS like I just did, for all of you. You're welcome.

violaine

^hahaha. Truth.

I'm an extrovert, and I don't necessarly enjoy all my social interactions/relationships but it does re-charge me. I love being in crowds and experience this life energy.

I always actually give the impression of being very introverted (and very reserved) but does not make me an introvert. Of course, it's people who bore me who get this impression.