User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So what does it mean in terms of MBTI if you're a mixture?
    Everyone is a mixture.
    You just have to learn the system well enough to know which one describes you the most accurately.
    There's 7 billion people in the world and 16 types; surely no description is going to fit 100%.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Hmm, not sure to be honest. I just don't feel particularly energised by interacting with people I'm comfortable with, but I don't feel particularly drained either. *shrug* Maybe I'm taking the being energised concept too literally? I'm not sure. One of my favourite things to do is just hang out with my partner, speaking a bit now and then, do stuff together or do our own thing in the same room. I usually find that restful and calming.
    I might need a second opinion on this but that makes sense. An introvert would enjoy calm activities with one or two people they enjoy being with. Saying it is "restful and calming" and enjoying those things would make sense if you were an introvert. I doubt most Extraverts would consider this to be a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Can you give some examples or links?

I can think of things that point to both, but Ni seems stronger.
    Of course.

Extraverted Feeling Child

Introverted Intuitive Child

Maybe get someone who has known you since you were young to check these out.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Everyone is a mixture.
    You just have to learn the system well enough to know which one describes you the most accurately.
    There's 7 billion people in the world and 16 types; surely no description is going to fit 100%.
    Very true. On the same token, to describe introversion, either a person had to take a group of people and find the best fit (As in take a person who they thought was the 100% introvert and describe introversion using that person) or take a group of people and describe introversion by listing off things that the group had in common.. The first idea is really interesting to me, because that would mean there is someone out there who is an 100% introvert. But yeah, like you said, I doubt any description is going to fit perfectly, just based on sheer odds.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Everyone is a mixture.
    I know which one describes me most accurately, problem is there are some MBTI types who can act and appear quite introverted despite actually being extraverted.

MBTI
    LoLz

Slap a label on them and tell them to stop being so out of character.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    guess if you are caught completly naked, when coming out of the shower in front of the whole classroom and you start dancing and giving a show to join the laughter, you are definitly not Introvert
    Except maybe if the introvert is... um... well endowed.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ

Oh, I say a study is in order. Is there a correlation between introversion and... um....yeah

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Of course.

Extraverted Feeling Child

Introverted Intuitive Child

Maybe get someone who has known you since you were young to check these out.
    Introverted Intuitive

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

For instance, someone mentioned in here that being alone deteriorates their mood and someone thought that he might be extraverted instead. Is it really that simple? Why would a simple statement make that person an extravert instead?

I gain energy from people who I like and am comfortable with, usually people who think similarly to me...but isn't that true for everyone? I almost think the energy gaining thing to describe introversion and extraversion is too muddled. What do you guys think?
    Many interesting responses and questions in this thread, don't feel like doing all of them justice.

I think you raise good questions.

And I think many of the traits that are casually thrown around for introversion are actually more temperament-oriented, or sticking to dichotomy's in mbti, are combo's of I plus F, or I plus T, etc. Simple example (and I have no doubt that there will be exceptions to what I'm about to say.. ;-) -- IxTx's will probably be more likely to say they can go days without seeing or interacting with other people, and are fine with that. IxFx's won't be able to relate to this as well.

And all of the 'where do you get your energy from' definitions can get pretty muddled and situational IMO. Based on some of the statements regarding this in here, I'd be an E. Which I'm not. ;-)

I thought TrueHeart's post was getting to the meat of a general Introversion trait/definition that could be true for all I's. More along the lines of cognitive processes and decision-making and data gathering in the brain - most easily observable in childhood before the individual matures and starts balancing out. Extroverts reacting to external stimuli immediately (questions directed to them, behaviors others exhibit towards them, conversation stuff, etc) and also initiating many things. Introverts will have a delay before reaction, where they do their little assessments/ computations/analyses/observations/deliberations/value-checks in their head first, before acting externally. (this delay could also explain why in general excessive interaction is physically tiresome for I's -- stuff has to go through their internal filters first before being externalized, and externalizing obviously isn't the dominant trait of the I.). Of course this could end up being an equally muddied definition, but oh well. ;-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Slap a label on them and tell them to stop being so out of character.
    I think you're on to something!

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Introverted Intuitive
    Yeah the two seem pretty dissimilar. Out of curiosity, what made you decide on the Ni dominant?

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Many interesting responses and questions in this thread, don't feel like doing all of them justice.

I think you raise good questions.

And I think many of the traits that are casually thrown around for introversion are actually more temperament-oriented, or sticking to dichotomy's in mbti, are combo's of I plus F, or I plus T, etc. Simple example (and I have no doubt that there will be exceptions to what I'm about to say.. ;-) -- IxTx's will probably be more likely to say they can go days without seeing or interacting with other people, and are fine with that. IxFx's won't be able to relate to this as well.

And all of the 'where do you get your energy from' definitions can get pretty muddled and situational IMO. Based on some of the statements regarding this in here, I'd be an E. Which I'm not. ;-)

I thought TrueHeart's post was getting to the meat of a general Introversion trait/definition that could be true for all I's. More along the lines of cognitive processes and decision-making and data gathering in the brain - most easily observable in childhood before the individual matures and starts balancing out. Extroverts reacting to external stimuli immediately (questions directed to them, behaviors others exhibit towards them, conversation stuff, etc) and also initiating many things. Introverts will have a delay before reaction, where they do their little assessments/ computations/analyses/observations/deliberations/value-checks in their head first, before acting externally. (this delay could also explain why in general excessive interaction is physically tiresome for I's -- stuff has to go through their internal filters first before being externalized, and externalizing obviously isn't the dominant trait of the I.). Of course this could end up being an equally muddied definition, but oh well. ;-)
    I think I'm starting to understand introversion a lot better now. I agree that introversion was being tied with feeling and thinking, often leaving half of the descriptions not defining all introverts.

Even talking with Nat seemed to cement this for me. Introversion does have much to do with decision making. Thats probably why the judging functions end up being tied into it. Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective. Try to look at what your natural tendencies were as a child before you started to become well rounded. Thats perfect. Studies show that differences between introversion and extraversion are observable before the age of 1.

So, can all you introverts agree that, as children, you had to internalize information before making a decision? Thinking in comparison with the other children, did you hesitate before speaking out on things you didn't take time to mull over?

MBTI
    ISTP

So, can all you introverts agree that, as children, you had to internalize information before making a decision? Thinking in comparison with the other children, did you hesitate before speaking out on things you didn't take time to mull over?
    Yes. Very much so. Always made me seem more mature/older, even though it meant I missed some opportunities because I hesitated to speak/raise my hand/whatever.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%