User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    But, could this explain why computers are so addicting for introverts? At least IxTx's? It's constant controlled self-contemplation.
    ...Are you admitting to an addiction? Well thats the first step, good for you.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity
    So what does it mean in terms of MBTI if you're a mixture?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ambiverts.html
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post

I think it's more likely that you are an extravert.

I have a 15 year old son who is an ENFJ and you sound like him.
    Thanks for your input!

.... It was observed that some people, in the way in which they consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives, are almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world. Facts and, circumstances, the opinions and feelings of other people, and ideas in current use, determine the adaptations which these people make to life. When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world. Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types. Another group of people are guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events. They are peculiarly sensitive to theseóto what they feel, how they think, about any situation. Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion. In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being. They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves. For this reason Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types.
    I found this very useful - I very clearly identify with the description of an extrovert. The only problem is that I identify more with the descriptions of INFJs than ENFJs....

MBTI
    ESTJ

Don't look at the descriptions as the determining factor. Decide using the function order. Probably best if you look at Ni and Fe and decide which has been with you since you were a young child, then decide which developed later on. There is a rather big difference between Fe children and Ni children I would think.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    I just think of introverts as more 'self-contained', in that their preference is for the inner world or the life of the mind as opposed to life in the outside world.
    Yeah, that's how I see it too. I've recently realised I'm more at the extreme end of introversion. Nearly everything I say has been thought through and examined carefully internally. My partner is also an introvert but less extreme - he thinks aloud a lot more than I do and I can't really picture what that's like.

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    As others have said, though, I fail at coming up with answers to questions on the spot.
    Yep, same here. If someone at work comes up to me and asks a question that I need to think through, I tell them to let me think through it and I'll get back to them in a few minutes. (if it's something I know backwards, I can answer straight away though) I can process things pretty quickly in my mind but it needs to be done internally.

Occasionally I will talk through things with my ISTJ colleague if I get stuck and know I'm missing something. She's ideal for this because she's also very introverted and doesn't dominate the conversation, and her T is good for asking questions that help clarify the problem (she knows a bit about personality theories and gets what I'm doing when I talk through stuff with her).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    I gain energy from people who I like and am comfortable with, usually people who think similarly to me...but isn't that true for everyone?
    Not really. I don't get drained by people I'm comfortable with but I rarely get energy from them.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Simple question, so it leaves a lot of room for answers.

It seems like a lot of people on here don't know what introversion really is, including myself. Seems like every trait of an introvert has been scrutinized to the point that they lose all meaning. Is there really a definition to lump all introverts together?
    An introvert person is someone not defined by the external world. They are defined from within... Damn that sounds hippie-like.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Not really. I don't get drained by people I'm comfortable with but I rarely get energy from them.
    Thats really interesting, and it makes no sense to me at all. Would you say being around someone you are comfortable with is the same as being alone or no? It just seems like the energy either has to be coming or going with interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    An introvert person is someone not defined by the external world. They are defined from within... Damn that sounds hippie-like.
    People are saying that introverts define themselves from their own thoughts and what is important to them. Extraverts define themselves by more external things. Don't extraverts have to take those external objects, internalize them, and make a concept of themselves? Am I confused or do these sound highly similar to each other?
    Since you are an Extravert can you explain this "external process" of defining yourself?

MBTI
    INTP

Thats really interesting, and it makes no sense to me at all. Would you say being around someone you are comfortable with is the same as being alone or no? It just seems like the energy either has to be coming or going with interactions.
    Hmm, not sure to be honest. I just don't feel particularly energised by interacting with people I'm comfortable with, but I don't feel particularly drained either. *shrug* Maybe I'm taking the being energised concept too literally? I'm not sure. One of my favourite things to do is just hang out with my partner, speaking a bit now and then, do stuff together or do our own thing in the same room. I usually find that restful and calming.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFJ

Don't look at the descriptions as the determining factor. Decide using the function order. Probably best if you look at Ni and Fe and decide which has been with you since you were a young child, then decide which developed later on. There is a rather big difference between Fe children and Ni children I would think.
    Can you give some examples or links?

I can think of things that point to both, but Ni seems stronger.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    An introvert is energized by his or her own thoughts and ideas and is tired out from interaction with the world.
    I believe that many people are a mixture of introversion/extraversion.
    Dr. van der Hoop wrote about that, too:

In saying this, it is obvious that contact with both the external world and the self are necessary factors in all living creatures. Even with animals this is evident. If they were to react to external stimuli only, they would become completely exhausted under certain conditions; while under other circumstances they would show no activity at all. If, on the other hand, they were to respond to inner needs without any regard to circumstances, they would probably soon perish. In man both influences are to be found in the conscious personality, but the distinctness with which their effects are seen varies considerably, according to whether the individual is predominantly introverted or extraverted.

Once this difference is recognized, there is usually little difficulty in finding extreme cases of the two types. There are outstandingly extraverted persons, who are almost exclusively led by impressions and impulses aroused in them from the outside. They are, as a result, lively and changeable, and they really do not know themselves at all. On the other hand, extremely introverted people entrench themselves against the external world, and after the slightest contact with it quickly withdraw into themselves again. They impress one as withdrawn and shy.

Even where the general attitude is less marked, it is usually possible, when things are difficult, to note which form of adaptation is the predominating one. The extravert, when uncertain, conforms to the opinion of other people, and immediately becomes more lively and freer in his activity. Under similar circumstances, the introvert is more inclined to withdraw into himself, seeking a solution there. The way in which they take life may also occasionally lead us to a correct diagnosis as to type. The extravert seeks, above all things, to remain in harmony with his environment; the introvert seeks harmony in himself.
    Conscious Orientation: Jung's Psychological Types
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]