User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Default Si and Ni - how to tell the difference?

I've been trying to type some of my friends, and most of the extroverts can usually tell whether they're Se or Ne, and so can I, but the some of the introverts are having trouble. They relate to both descriptions.

I guess it's easier to know which you have a preference for yourself, and I can't really tell which they have a preference for being on the outside. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I'm just seeing them as a whole?

So I was wondering if you guys could give me some example of the differences between Si and Ni. Please don't just say abstract or concrete, because they can relate to both of those depending on the situation.

I was hoping for some questions I could ask them so we could become more clear to what each of them has a preference for. Also maybe some situational or conversation examples, so it would be easier for me to tell from the outside?

Thanks so much to anyone that helps! I'm pretty new at this, and a bit lost.
    Come to the edge, he said,
    They said:
    We are afraid
    Come to the edge, he said.
    They came,
    He pushed them,
    and
    they flew.
    -Guillaume Apollinaire

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I've been trying to type some of my friends, and most of the extroverts can usually tell whether they're Se or Ne, and so can I, but the some of the introverts are having trouble. They relate to both descriptions.

I guess it's easier to know which you have a preference for yourself, and I can't really tell which they have a preference for being on the outside. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I'm just seeing them as a whole?

So I was wondering if you guys could give me some example of the differences between Si and Ni. Please don't just say abstract or concrete, because they can relate to both of those depending on the situation.

I was hoping for some questions I could ask them so we could become more clear to what each of them has a preference for. Also maybe some situational or conversation examples, so it would be easier for me to tell from the outside?

Thanks so much to anyone that helps! I'm pretty new at this, and a bit lost.
    This could be way off but one area that always stood out as difference to me between sj and nj is the views on tradition and authority. I am not sure if it is a decisive factor but you may want to see which side of the fence you fall on for those issues to give you a better idea.As far as describing the difference between si and ni, I'm not the one for that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I love when people give me this reminder, so maybe it will useful to you, too: Remember that Si and Ni are not decision-making processes. They're information-gathering processes, so they happen before you ever make a decision. Even though I know this about the theory, I forget it sometimes when I'm caught up in analyzing things.

Si is about recalling things that actually happened or existed, as people say. But not just that, also remembering how it "seemed" or "appeared" or "felt to me." Sentimentality can involve Si, I think. Maybe phrases like "this reminds me of (some event or experience they went through)" could be indicators? I think of it like Grandpa on his rocking chair, telling stories of his youth.

What I've noticed with recent Si-moments is that when I recall something, the people I'm telling remember it, too. They just might not have pulled up that memory on their own. With Ni, the people in the room probably won't see it also. But maybe I just think that because I'm not very in touch with Ni, and neither is my family.

I hope I haven't said anything misleading.

Here is a thread where we tried to explore Si: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-clearly.html
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-23-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: link
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

As an Entp my Ne runs wild.

I'll try to give a few elements that may be related to my Ne.
    I See things as systems rather than isolated facts.
    For example, today I did a psych test while watching a movie. So i'm not focused on the structure of the test or each individual questions and more or less answering on autopilot.
    Yet when my 'Ti' processes the information, i'll effortlessly notice if the test was biased and why. Even if I won't recall 'individual examples' or something like that.

Ne seems to be a less 'specific' information gathering system. But it's very good at recognizing paterns out of what seems to be 'random connections'.

About my time perception, again maybe it's just me but: I almost never ever think about past events. And what I 'learned' from my past experience is just a part of my 'present state', but I'll never compare two situation directly in a conscious way.

Compared to S types, I find intuition very unconscious for lack of a better word
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

I'd like to hear more on this topic. I'm sorry though I can't provide any helpful answer....I'm quite incapacitated when it comes to mbti functions and theory.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Si is the awareness of personal comfort and aesthetics -- sensations that relate to the self as opposed to objective awareness of sensations (Se).

Ni is the awareness of the imagery of the mind -- but rather than extroverting their visions like Ne would, Ni muses upon them.

Si types often seem very calm and passive, Ni types often look more melancholy with a sense of longing.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Personal comfort, true. Sensations as related to the self, describes it well, if you think about it.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-23-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: more agreement, why not?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The first step to understanding the problem correctly and easily is to see that Si types are not the SJ's in general, but ISTP ISFP ESTJ ESFJ (thus changing the S/N axis gives the correspondent intuitive group - INTP INFP ENTJ ENFJ). Then you will notice how all of them prefer to relate descriptions of physical(if ISTP or ESTJ) or emotional(if ISFP or ESFJ) phenomena to systems (cause-effect systems) that are "direct" and "immediately observable". Ni types instead relate physical (if INTP or ENTJ) and emotional (if INFP or ENFJ) phenomena to systems that are "symbolic" or "abstract". If it's an example that you need, I will give you one of ENTJ and ESTJ.

First, where an ESTJ strategy is successful and an ENTJ strategy is not:
    ESTJ: "My tooth is aching because I have eaten sugary food"
    ENTJ: "My tooth is aching because of the conjugate action of a quantity of self-replicating bacteria interacting with each other"
    Then, where an ENTJ strategy is successful and an ESTJ is not:
    ESTJ: "The stock market went up because they decided to bail out GM"
    ENTJ: "The stock market went up because of the systematic expectations of the agents on the behavior of their neighboring agents, which is in line with what was predicted by the diffusion model"
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What I've noticed with recent Si-moments is that when I recall something, the people I'm telling remember it, too. They just might not have pulled up that memory on their own. With Ni, the people in the room probably won't see it also.
    Why do you think this is?

Thanks for the link BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Si types often seem very calm and passive, Ni types often look more melancholy with a sense of longing.
    So are Ni types more liking to daydream then? Or zone out during a conversation or class?
    Come to the edge, he said,
    They said:
    We are afraid
    Come to the edge, he said.
    They came,
    He pushed them,
    and
    they flew.
    -Guillaume Apollinaire

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    So are Ni types more liking to daydream then? Or zone out during a conversation or class?
    Probably.

Even recently, when I was taking a spanish class with 3 other students, at the end of the week the teacher threw some expressions on the board, one of which was: "...estar en la luna", which basically means daydreaming or lost in thought. And she pointed at me, and everyone laughed (including myself! I was thinking...wow...it's not that I'm not paying attention, I just tend to space out quite a lot, and my mind starts drifting to other topics while the teacher is talking about stuff! It's involuntary, it just happens.)

Comparing my ISFJ friend (Si dominant) to myself, I'd say she's much more preoccupied with day to day matters, and tasks, and getting things done around her house and helping her grandson and daughter out in tangible ways. Me, I don't get as much done; not as task-oriented as she, I don't think. I tend to muse a lot more, just think about stuff, and day-to-day things tend to annoy me. Whereas I think it gives her pleasure to scratch things off her to-do list.

Also, when describing her weekend, she'll go into incredible detail, and she'll *speak about the details* and she remembers everything. Me, I am quite vague, I don't think the details are terribly important (or even interesting) and sometimes have to think hard to remember what I did two days ago -- because the little things aren't as important to me, so I don't make it a point to remember, maybe.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ