• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Left - handedness

What characterizes me best?

• Female-Left Handed-I have some kind of inability(eg spatial awareness,inborn health difficulties...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female-Right Handed-I have some kind of inability(eg spatial awareness,inborn health difficulties..)

• Female-I use other organ than my hands to day to day activities-(specify in post)

• Male-Right Handed-I have some kind of inability(eg spatial awareness,inborn health difficulties...)

• Male-I use other organ than my hands to day to day activities-(specify in post)

• Total voters

Gauche

This topic includes poll

As we know, left handedness could have a serious impact on psychological aspects of the person. Two sides of a coin are either improvement or impairment.

According to certain theories, also gender plays role here. Women are supposedly not affected by left handedness so markedly than men.

Do you have encountered interesting alterations in human personality, caused supposedly by left - handedness?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many lefties I've known personally seemed quirky, and creative Thinking types. At times, some of the females seemed slightly lacking in a few typical female gender role qualities, and vice-versa. Socially awkward in some way or another, regardless of introversion or extroversion. Dry humor. Highly intelligent.

Personally, I write with my right hand, but with regard to overall handedness, I have what is referred to as cross-dominance (not to be confused with actual ambidexterity. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance). I chose "ambidextrous" in the poll, as cross-dominant wasn't an available option.

I'm not sure if there's any actual correlation with handedness, but I'm sort of a mix between my own gender-role, and fairly creative, and not incredibly social. Dry humor is great to me. So are painfully corny puns. I vary between emotional intensity and being totally aloof. High IQ. Self sufficient. Total klutz with regular tasks, but great with random things like changing my shoes while driving. Good penmanship. Looks like the speech-bubble text used in most comic books.

I recently injured my left shoulder, and can't use my left arm/hand for a lot of things. I feel incredibly restricted/handicapped right now.

I tend to hypothesize that my handedness was a learned behavior, to an extent. I'm not sure how much genetics come into play when it comes to handedness. My mom's a righty (a shy & emotionally unstable ESFJ), & my dad was a lefty (ENTx). My older brother & primary playmate growing up, was also a lefty (ESTP). My dad was in the navy & out to sea a lot, & died when I was 9. My mom worked a lot, so my brother & I were left to our own devices. I believe it's possible that I was born right-handed like my mother, but developed cross-dominant motor skills from modeling after my brother.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
well i'm a male and i'm left handed...I think i'm pretty normal..all though the only thing I do with my left hand is eat and write. Everything else I use my right hand for. I've only met one freaky left handed person and she always played the victim and I think she was bi-polar. I don't think that had anything to do with her being left handed though.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Of the left-handed people I can think of, I never noticed anything particularly weird in their personalities, male or female. They all have a vast array of personalities, like I would expect to see in right-handed people.

One guy was pretty weird, but more in an autistic way lol. And I had an art teacher who was left-handed and liked to suggest that being left-handed meant they used their more creative side of the brain more, but she was pretty normal to me. And I remember one of my leftie friends having trouble using a pair of scissors with her left hand, but that just speaks more on the right-handed majority society we have and the ergonomics of common products. But I think generally, left-handed people should be pretty well adjusted. I mean we don't live in a day and age where it's really looked on as evil anymore. Though that reminds me, I did know of one guy who was originally left-handed and his mom forced him to write with his right hand. He was pretty weird.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Many lefties I've known personally seemed quirky, and creative Thinking types. At times, some of the females seemed slightly lacking in a few typical female gender role qualities, and vice-versa. Socially awkward in some way or another, regardless of introversion or extroversion. Dry humor. Highly intelligent.

Personally, I write with my right hand, but with regard to overall handedness, I have what is referred to as cross-dominance (not to be confused with actual ambidexterity. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance). I chose "ambidextrous" in the poll, as cross-dominant wasn't an available option.

I'm not sure if there's any actual correlation with handedness, but I'm sort of a mix between my own gender-role, and fairly creative, and not incredibly social. Dry humor is great to me. So are painfully corny puns. I vary between emotional intensity and being totally aloof. High IQ. Self sufficient. Total klutz with regular tasks, but great with random things like changing my shoes while driving. Good penmanship. Looks like the speech-bubble text used in most comic books.

I recently injured my left shoulder, and can't use my left arm/hand for a lot of things. I feel incredibly restricted/handicapped right now.

I tend to hypothesize that my handedness was a learned behavior, to an extent. I'm not sure how much genetics come into play when it comes to handedness. My mom's a righty (a shy & emotionally unstable ESFJ), & my dad was a lefty (ENTx). My older brother & primary playmate growing up, was also a lefty (ESTP). My dad was in the navy & out to sea a lot, & died when I was 9. My mom worked a lot, so my brother & I were left to our own devices. I believe it's possible that I was born right-handed like my mother, but developed cross-dominant motor skills from modeling after my brother.

OMG! Thanks for that link. I just read this part:

"A person who is Cross-dominant can also be stronger on the opposite side of the body that they favor; for example, a right-handed person can be stronger on the left side."

I've always known that my right arm was stronger than my left, and yet I use my left hand for fine motor movements. This explains me perfectly :D.

I tend to favor my left ear, eye, and hand, but I kick with my right leg. How do you determine leg dominance anyway? Is it the one you kick with or stabilize with?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you determine leg dominance anyway? Is it the one you kick with or stabilize with?

I'm certainly no athlete, so I couldn't say for sure. I'd assume it's the one you kick with, as that's seemingly the more "active" motion. Then again, the one you stabilize with is steadying your entire body, correct? So stabilizing could actually be the "motion" that requires the most coordination on your part... hmm...

What's your avatar from? It looks so.. epic. :)

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm certainly no athlete, so I couldn't say for sure. I'd assume it's the one you kick with, as that's seemingly the more "active" motion. Then again, the one you stabilize with is steadying your entire body, correct? So stabilizing could actually be the "motion" that requires the most coordination on your part... hmm...

What's your avatar from? It looks so.. epic. :)

I have no idea. I just found it on google by typing in sorcerer. Image search of course. Oh, and I looked it up and found that it was supposedly the leg that you kicked with.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm left-handed and I'm tired of those stinkin' right-handed scissors.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I looked it up and found that it was supposedly the leg that you kicked with.

I guess that would make sense, as you were noted: "A person who is Cross-dominant can also be stronger on the opposite side of the body that they favor; for example, a right-handed person can be stronger on the left side."

I've always known that my right arm was stronger than my left, and yet I use my left hand for fine motor movements. This explains me perfectly.

Following that logic, it makes sense to me that your right leg would be the stronger one, that is, if kicking isn't considered a "fine" motor skill.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I haven't noticed anything particular in the left-handed people I know (my mother is one of those).

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Ooooh I've never tried that. :thinking: I've always just used my right hand.

me too! I taught myself how to use them with my right hand...in kindergarten I would have to use the scissors with five finger holes :laugh:

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm left-handed, although semi-ambidexterous. I can switch hit, play racquetball/tennis with either hand, and most other things (such as a computer mouse, or tools) with either hand.

The only thing I can't do is write with my Right hand, although if I ever practiced that, I probably could. (Then again, my handwriting is nearly illegible with my left hand as well...)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm left-handed, although semi-ambidexterous. I can switch hit, play racquetball/tennis with either hand, and most other things (such as a computer mouse, or tools) with either hand.

The only thing I can't do is write with my Right hand, although if I ever practiced that, I probably could. (Then again, my handwriting is nearly illegible with my left hand as well...)

Sounds as if you're more likely what's called "cross-dominant."
Check out the link I posted in my initial response to the thread for more info if you're interested.

Gauche

ThreadNecro.jpg

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Like Lexicon, I'm merely cross dominant and not truly ambidextrous. Unlike Lexicon, I write with my left hand, and I've horrible handwriting.

I'm also a 'visual simultaneous' processor who relies on synthesis over analysis.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm right handed. But let's see... the lefties I can think of right off the bat...

INTP
ENFP
ESFP
ISTP

The only thing common is they're all P's.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
My left hand and my right hand have different typing speeds. Right hand is faster, but then again it's also more likely to make mistakes.

I have turtle-and-hare hands. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm right-handed, but I'm unsure how I should assess either my gender or my intellectual capacity.

My right hand seems to be weaker but more precise in movements, while my left hand seems stronger but less precise.