User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 60

  1. #11
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    SolitaryWalker,

    I really think you should'nt mess with subjects you're not conversant with, or that you don't understand, and that includes Human Feelings, and Evolutionary mechanisms.
    I agree, especially when it comes to anything scientific, biological, or psychological, Mr. Wing, you are so out of your element.

    Anyone who is even slightly well versed in biological and evolutionary mechanisms will scoff at this thread, and you in turn.

    And anyone who has a grain of social intelligence and empathy will gag and laugh at your ill conceived "theories".

    I think, deep down, you have a heart and a wisdom, but you let your hate fester and manifest and lead you to believe and fortify these ludicrously delusional constructs.

    If you push people away, then you will suffer the consequences, namely, a life of bitter loneliness.

    Open your heart, then you will open your mind!!

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  2. #12
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    SolitaryWalker,

    I really think you shouldn't mess with subjects you're not conversant with, or that you don't understand, and that includes Human Feelings, and Evolutionary mechanisms.
    If that were the case (I do not understand human feelings and evolutionary mechanisms (I am not clear on what you mean by evolutionary mechanisms.), you should be able to do the following with ease.

    1)Summarize my argument. (Or what I think 'human feelings' and 'evolutionary mechanisms' are).


    2)Explain what 'human feelings' and 'evolutionary mechanisms' are.

    3)Specify the differences between the two and show why your argument is true and mine is false.

    Your input here is worthless, as usual. Save yourself the trouble kiddo.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  3. #13
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    If you push people away, then you will suffer the consequences, namely, a life of bitter loneliness.

    Open your heart, then you will open your mind!!

    Yeah, Christmas is time of luv.



  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Feeling is defined as a cognitive faculty of emotive valuation. For example, when an animal gets a pleasant feeling, or an unpleasant feeling, it engages the faculty of feeling.
    We're engaging in feeling when we are feeling? Not saying much there.


    You seem to have forgotten that predators are only a small threat to survival compared to other things. Those other things would have a larger effect on our instinctual and emotional evolution.

    In general feelings are a way of understanding the world much the same as verbal language is. They both can adapt to help survival in near any situation, even things like what colour clothes to wear or what diet to eat, all of which contribute to that. Same with instinct, intellect etc.

    Tigers are bad when they look angry, tigers will attack me when hungry/threatened et cetera are all essentially the same message.

    Regarding non-living things as living things is purely an intellectual exercise, since it is the intellect which coined those terms. In terms of feelings, both living and non-living things can be dangerous so on that level they are treated the same. When you encounter another human, you access your feelings based around humans to help you survive in this situation, if you encounter a cliff edge, you access your feelings based around heights to help you survive. There is no non-living/living distinction with feelings in the scientific sense.

    Feelings are more complex that this however, since they normally have multi-layered systems in order to self-program and adapt, much like all other parts to living creatures. Moral codes, empathy, culture, long-term planning and others that came from this evolved for obvious reasons.

  5. #15
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Again with the rules and the 'my way or high way approach'. The point is, when you don't speak Chinese, you don't go writing essays on how it originated and how it evolved to what it is to today. And on top of that, you don't ask the people who actually speak Chinese, to prove you wrong in eloquent English and dismiss their statements because they don't know how to use paragraphs or because their grammar sucks.

    Write about what you know. It's one fo the basic rules in writing.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  6. #16
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    We're engaging in feeling when we are feeling? Not saying much there.


    You seem to have forgotten that predators are only a small threat to survival compared to other things. Those other things would have a larger effect on our instinctual and emotional evolution.

    In general, feelings are a way of understanding the world much the same as verbal language is. They can adapt to help survival in near any situation, even things like what colour clothes to wear or what diet to eat, all of which contribute to that.

    Same with instinct, intellect etc.
    Its true that floods, hurricanes, other weather conditions or other non-living entities, however those things were very complicated. Animals did not understand what they were. Or they did not understand what exactly was hurting them. Because of this, they were unable to come up with a symbol to represent those dangers.

    However, when a tiger attacked them, they had a clear idea of what their danger was.

    It is true that non-living entities were a bigger threat to animals than living entities, however, that is not relevant to the question of why animals and people tend to anthropomorphize things. The reason why they do tend to anthropomorphize things is because they have perceived living predators as their biggest threats and have used them as symbols for danger in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Again with the rules and the 'my way or high way approach'. The point is, when you don't speak Chinese, you don't go writing essays on how it originated and how it evolved to what it is to today. And on top of that, you don't ask the people who actually speak Chinese, to prove you wrong in eloquent English and dismiss their statements because they don't know how to use paragraphs or because their grammar sucks.

    Write about what you know. It's one fo the basic rules in writing.

    Thank you for your contribution. Very eloquent! Profound insights that I did not even hope to have bestowed upon this thread!

    Come again soon please!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Its true that floods, hurricanes, other weather conditions or other non-living entities, however those things were very complicated. Animals did not understand what they were. Or they did not understand what exactly was hurting them. Because of this, they were unable to come up with a symbol to represent those dangers.

    However, when a tiger attacked them, they had a clear idea of what their danger was.

    It is true that non-living entities were a bigger threat to animals than living entities, however, that is not relevant to the question of why animals and people tend to anthropomorphize things. The reason why they do tend to anthropomorphize things is because they have perceived living predators as their biggest threats and have used them as symbols for danger in general.
    I don't think there is a living/non-living distinction with feelings. There was no evolutionary need for one.

    Instead anthropomorphism arose because, like you sort of said, it allowed an easy understanding of the enviroment. Technical understanding of what, say, a hurricane was didn't provide any more short term survival than any other method of knowing the pattern they came in. Feelings evolved prior to intellectual capabilities, so a simple understanding was to envisage them the same as any other threat.

  8. #18
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I don't think there is a living/non-living distinction with feelings. There was no evolutionary need for one.

    Instead anthropomorphism arose because, like you sort of said, it allowed an easy understanding of the enviroment. Technical understanding of what, say, a hurricane was didn't provide any more short term survival than any other method of knowing the pattern they came in.
    My point is that animals thought that living predators were their main threat because it was easy for them to associate danger with those things than with non-living things.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #19
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    My point is that animals thought that living predators were their main threat because it was easy for them to associate danger with those things than with non-living things.
    How about fire?

    I still don't see what your point is, though. Animals are afraid. So what? Are you going to twist this so that it means you are better than me (again)?

    And why are you not using your xmas avatar?

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    it was easy for them to associate danger with those things than with non-living things.
    My point was that it's as easy to associate danger with non-living things as with living things. Feeling-wise it makes no difference if it's a force of nature or a creature pissed off at you, either way you run from it.

    It was the intellect that caused anthropomorphism, since prior to it there was no need to distinguish between living and non-living. It was the intellects attempt to translate feelings that made it seem like everything was living.

Similar Threads

  1. The importance of feelings?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
  2. Avoidance of Feelings = Ignorance of Facts? What Does that say About Ts?
    By Mempy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 09:33 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Essence of Feeling
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
  4. Originators of MBTI and Temperaments
    By marm in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
  5. ORIGIN OF EVIL
    By LIND in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO