User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default Is clear preference really desirable?

    For those types with X's in their type or for those who have weak preferences in the dichotomies, does it tear you apart when you see people who have very clear preferences for their type (like 100%)? Is it necessary to be confident of what type you are and do you constantly wonder about it?

    I want to know if it is really the most ideal to be sure what your preferences are, or if there are advantages to not being sure.

    When I first took MBTI almost 5 years ago I got ISTP. Then INTP. And then I was almost sure I was an INFP if not ISFP. And I scored ISFJ ISTJ INFJ INTJ along the way as well. I don't know if adolescence has anything to do with it (would it?), but it kind of drives me mad. Should it? Should I try to get a clear preference, or is it actually really awesome not to have a clear preference, or is it irrelevant?

  2. #2
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    I agree, as someone who is unsure of his own type- I don't think it is possible to have a 100% preference for a certain half of a dichotomy.

    No human being is completely devoid of introversion or extraversion, sensing or intuition, thinking or feeling, and judging or perceiving. Unless, you are a Vulcan,
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  3. #3
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    I think no clear preference is desirable, makes you enigma-like and let's you fill in the blanks or even hybridize the types. Clear preference is only desirable for ease of have to decide "who you are" etc.

  4. #4
    soft and silky sarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    isfp
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    For those types with X's in their type or for those who have weak preferences in the dichotomies, does it tear you apart when you see people who have very clear preferences for their type (like 100%)? Is it necessary to be confident of what type you are and do you constantly wonder about it?

    I want to know if it is really the most ideal to be sure what your preferences are, or if there are advantages to not being sure.

    When I first took MBTI almost 5 years ago I got ISTP. Then INTP. And then I was almost sure I was an INFP if not ISFP. And I scored ISFJ ISTJ INFJ INTJ along the way as well. I don't know if adolescence has anything to do with it (would it?), but it kind of drives me mad. Should it? Should I try to get a clear preference, or is it actually really awesome not to have a clear preference, or is it irrelevant?

    All a "clear preference" really means is that you've read some good-quality literature on the subject of type and temperament, and you've given a lot of thought to which pattern fits you overall. It's the pattern that counts, not the details in the type descriptions, and not test results.

    Adolescence probably makes finding your best fit type rather confusing, because you're already trying to establish an identity (regardless of type) and feel flexible enough to try on a number of different "ways of being".

    I think whether or not you know your best type fit isn't something to be really concerned about to the point of feeling upset. But if you want to explore more about type, I highly recommend anything written by Linda Berens and/or Dario Nardi. Their writing seems to be the clearest, and their descriptions the most accurate (because they actually interview people of all 16 types and use those people's words in the descriptions, rather than relying on guesses or imagination).

    www.bestfitttype.com. Check it out!

  5. #5
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    www.bestfitttype.com. Check it out!
    Too many t's in the URL.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #6
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    All a "clear preference" really means is that you've read some good-quality literature on the subject of type and temperament, and you've given a lot of thought to which pattern fits you overall. It's the pattern that counts, not the details in the type descriptions, and not test results.

    Adolescence probably makes finding your best fit type rather confusing, because you're already trying to establish an identity (regardless of type) and feel flexible enough to try on a number of different "ways of being".

    I think whether or not you know your best type fit isn't something to be really concerned about to the point of feeling upset. But if you want to explore more about type, I highly recommend anything written by Linda Berens and/or Dario Nardi. Their writing seems to be the clearest, and their descriptions the most accurate (because they actually interview people of all 16 types and use those people's words in the descriptions, rather than relying on guesses or imagination).

    www.bestfitttype.com. Check it out!
    Thanks~ I have been to that site many times, and it is one of the more helpful ones but I still find myself relating to a few different types, mainly a difference between NF and NT. I've read a lot of stuff from a lot of sites, over a good period of time, which is why I have chosen INFP, but I still don't show a clear preference for it consistently, so I don't think it has to do with that exactly.

  7. #7
    soft and silky sarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    isfp
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Too many t's in the URL.
    Aaah! Thanks for spotting that. Here's the link:

    Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type

    By the way , have you seen this cognitive processes test? Perhaps it might help...

    Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

  8. #8
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    For those types with X's in their type or for those who have weak preferences in the dichotomies, does it tear you apart when you see people who have very clear preferences for their type (like 100%)? Is it necessary to be confident of what type you are and do you constantly wonder about it?

    I want to know if it is really the most ideal to be sure what your preferences are, or if there are advantages to not being sure.

    When I first took MBTI almost 5 years ago I got ISTP. Then INTP. And then I was almost sure I was an INFP if not ISFP. And I scored ISFJ ISTJ INFJ INTJ along the way as well. I don't know if adolescence has anything to do with it (would it?), but it kind of drives me mad. Should it? Should I try to get a clear preference, or is it actually really awesome not to have a clear preference, or is it irrelevant?
    To be honest I think there are a lot of people who rather do not take typology adventures. It could only confuse them more.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #9
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Yes, dammit. Pick one and get on with your life!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  10. #10
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    To be honest I think there are a lot of people who rather do not take typology adventures. It could only confuse them more.
    like me, right

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yes, dammit. Pick one and get on with your life!
    Well see, I think I'm an INFP. That might have something to do with it

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI is a Preference
    By wolfy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 02:45 PM
  2. Is INFP man really done with me? Tell me the truth...
    By Serafina in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
  3. Is the truth really so bad?
    By Into It in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM
  4. [NF] NFs is your art really yours?
    By felt up in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
  5. This is how you REALLY seduce an NT female
    By nozflubber in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO