User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default The elusive INFJ

After reading more information on INFJs, I'm convinced that people are mistyped as INFJs very, very often. Many mistypings are actually ISFJs, and some are ISFPs. Some may even be ISTJs because of their clear-cut sense of right and wrong, and possibly some INTJs for those who are focused on intellectual pursuits.

From readings on this and the INTP forums, everyone and their dog seems to have an INFJ ex and that is pretty unlikely imo. I can see how a person would assume an introverted feeler who is structured or inflexible is an INFJ, but that is not accurate. Their primary function is Ni, which is not women's intuition, but an extremely abstract approach to life. It is a rare type, very private, one of the most conceptual of all the types, etc. There are many introverted feelers who need a great deal of private time, have complex emotions, and a deep sense of altruism. These people are not necessarily INFJs. Most of the quicky tests don't really give reliable results. The INFJ profile on some such sites even uses the word psychic to describe them. That right there will draw in all the introverts who want (or worse think they have) super powers. INFJs are less than 1% of the population and withdrawn, complex, extremely abstract... it's somewhat unlikely the average person will get to know one well, let alone date one. Thoughts? This has just been my impression which could well be flawed.

INFJ

INFJ Profile
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I would be curious to know what Rivercrow thinks, at least in terms of test application and error reduction.

MBTI
    INFJ

Toonia, where was that "dating" point derived from, another thread? At that moment your point w/in your post eluded me to some extent too...

heart on fire

I thought I was INFJ based on the MBTI until I took the cognitive functions test.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

One percent of the U.S. population is 3 million people. There are lots of INFJ's out there, but they are not all clustered together in the real world. On the internet rare types can group together and seem common, so you should expect to find more online than you would expect to find in RL if you are looking at spots where INFJ's would want to congregate.

Having said that I think you are right in that there is some degree of mistyping of INFJ's. But even if the mistypes were corrected, you should expect to see far more INFJ's on a site like this than you would know if RL.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    iNxj

INFJs do seem to share common interests

I've been posting on a weather board for almost three years now, and it would be safe to assume that at least 90% of the posters there are IN's.... When polled, 38% of the board came up as INFJ.

MBTI
    INTP

Hey, my dog did have an INFJ ex.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Caffiend View Post
    INFJs do seem to share common interests

I've been posting on a weather board for almost three years now, and it would be safe to assume that at least 90% of the posters there are IN's.... When polled, 38% of the board came up as INFJ.
    Based on the type description and the statistics i've read about MBTI, that would be a good example of more people assuming to be infj than actually are. INFJs are about 1% of the population, unless everyone starts labeling themselves that who are not. Also, weather is an interesting topic, but there isn't anything about it that would attract such large percentages of infjs that i can see. It has an abstract quality, but does not delve into the minds and hidden worlds of people, it doesn't involve imagination, it is not a subjective system of ideas, but one that can be observed and measured. Weather by its nature has concrete implications and it would make far more sense to me that it would attract Sensors in general - especially STs. There isn't anything in the literature to suggest that kind of tie to nature. The infj tie to nature is more aesthetic, philosophical, abstract to a level that defies definition.

My concern is that on iNuitive central, then INTPcentral, and now here, there is such an emphasis on valuing iNtuitive reasoning, that Sensing becomes a dumping ground for whatever thinking styles are rejected by the group as a whole. That is why we get these silly stereotypes like S's don't have a sense of humor, can't understand sarcasm, are unintelligent, etc. Of course people will assume they are an N instead when they are intelligent and enjoy sarcasm, etc. Also, it is very popular to consider oneself intuitive in the traditional use of the word. It implies special insight. Sensing is a word with less meaning to people in general. Sensors have a much richer pallet of reasoning than these boards suggest. I would just bet that if Sensing were treated with more respect and understood for all its diversity and depth that many posters here would realize they are not Ns at all. Many people who think they are infj's or think they know one would also discover a different type - and very often an ISFJ for example.

INFJ and ISFJ are equal in value, both with specific strengths and weaknesses, but they are quite different. Perhaps the reason it seems important to raise this issue is that people don't often understand the infj, and by lumping in a bunch of other types, labeling them as infj, we get this confused mess and a bunch of people assuming they understand a type that they actually have no experience with whatsoever.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That is why we get these silly stereotypes like S's don't have a sense of humor, can't understand sarcasm, are unintelligent, etc.
    It's more strongly motivated by memories of noogies, wedgies, rejected dance invitations, etcetera.

heart on fire

Wouldn't taking the cognitive functions test shed more light on who was and was not an INFJ?

If this board were to follow to form of other boards in this sort of vein, can we next expect witch hunts and outtings of those not deemed legitamately INFJ?