User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by darlets View Post
    Toonia the other side of this is I think some people *want* to be typed as INFJ. I had a girl tell me she was an INFJ and I quite strongly think she wasn't.

INFJ are considerd to be *unique and special* (blah blah blah) so I wonder if some people engage in some self delusion. This is a real stab in the dark and based off very little evidence by the way.
    That reminds me!
    Once I shared the MBTI 8 dimensions of preference with a room of about 10 teens, and almost all of them thought they were ESFPs!
    including my ISTJ daughter!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    That reminds me!
    Once I shared the MBTI 8 dimensions of preference with a room of about 10 teens, and almost all of them thought they were ESFPs!
    including my ISTJ daughter!
    Ugh... a lot of teenagers have taken on ESxP behaviors for some weird reason... that's one reason I just can't stand most people my own age... The few times I've had to interact with most of them for much more than a few minutes, I always ended up "parenting" them, and feeling like they're rude, irresponsible brats. That's probably why people in school were so hard for me to relate to.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I am Jiminy Flippin' Cricket. When I was a kid I was in high demand because parents wanted their kids to hang out with me. I was considered a good influence.

I cannot stand Pinocchio. He put his dad through Hades because he just would not listen.
    Yeah! Pinocchio was naughty.
    So are the Little Rascals, for that matter.
    And Lucy.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Huh..interesting thread. And I agree with the OP with the skepticism, and mis-typing in general, and also comments on people testing as they *want* or believe they are, and not who they actually are (I sometimes wonder if I'm in fact guilty of that)...

I've decided all of the 'tests' are completely worthless to me at this point, because I've read too much on MBTI stuff!! Also, depending on the test I take, as well as the point of life I've been in, I have tested differently. To the point where I wonder if I shouldn't just type myself as INxx and be done with it. :-)

So the tests themselves, which are how I would think most people end up typing themselves, are the problem. I think, especially with the J/P questions, it's kinda silly. At least for me, the J/P stuff isn't as black and white as the tests make them out to be. Or, the tests don't really get to the interplay between J/P and the other functions. Also, the T/F questions are kind of lame in my opinion. 'Do you consider yourself more compassionate, or more objective?' The reader of that question then might go through subconscious little filters, where 'compassion' is viewed as good, and 'objective' as bad, or vice versa, or they might not be one way or the other 100% of the time....or maybe I'm just speaking for myself, hahaha. :-)

But my newest theory has been to look back at how I was as a kid, and just what my values in life are, and how I'm actually living my life, and how I ultimately act/react towards others, outwardly and inwardly. I have to forget the tests themselves, because I end up just confusing myself in my quest to get to ME. ;-)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I am Jiminy Flippin' Cricket. When I was a kid I was in high demand because parents wanted their kids to hang out with me. I was considered a good influence.
    I was in the same situation too. Especially in school... Teachers would put the poorly performing kids all near me thinking I'd help them, and I would; yet I always felt a little used, that the teachers didn't care that I wanted to have some peace sometimes. Most of the time I wanted to tell them, "I can't save these kids, okay! They don't care. There is nothing I can do about that! Now stop putting them near me because they're starting to bully me!"

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    So the tests themselves, which are how I would think most people end up typing themselves, are the problem. I think, especially with the J/P questions, it's kinda silly. At least for me, the J/P stuff isn't as black and white as the tests make them out to be. Or, the tests don't really get to the interplay between J/P and the other functions. Also, the T/F questions are kind of lame in my opinion. 'Do you consider yourself more compassionate, or more objective?' The reader of that question then might go through subconscious little filters, where 'compassion' is viewed as good, and 'objective' as bad, or vice versa, or they might not be one way or the other 100% of the time....or maybe I'm just speaking for myself, hahaha. :-)
    I loathe the J/P and T/F sections. Because whatever the question is, I'm both, neither, and one of them all at the same time! It's like...where's the "all at once" answer? To me, being compassionate means maintaining a certain amount of objectivity while experiencing this other person's emotions as your own. Otherwise, it's useless. You get bogged down in the emotions and forget that being compassionate (to me anyway) means not just understanding how someone feels, but finding solutions to solve the problem. The whole point of getting into that other person's head (so to speak) is to gain a new perspective of the situation at hand.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Ugh... a lot of teenagers have taken on ESxP behaviors for some weird reason... that's one reason I just can't stand most people my own age...
    You are totally right, that's the new spirit of the age. The United States used to be very SJ in the 50's. Now I would call the popular culture very SP, with a dose of N thrown into things (or at least SPs are open to N in a way that SJ is not).

Just watch MTV, what's popular musically, what films are popular, what sort of sports are very popular (skateboarding and extreme sports have largely increased in popularity), many of the video games are SP-action-oriented.

SP kids are having a heyday with things. It is very much a matter of immersing oneself in various experiences and enjoying the moment. And because our country is basically prosperous (in the sense that many of these kids do have disposable income and aren't worrying about survival), they see no need to plan much for the future, they are totally freed up to live like the grasshopper rather than the ant.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

My sister types as INFJ. I would want to be friends with her if she wasn't my sister. I feel blessed to have mutual sibling affection, and I am blessed, truly.

My beloved types as INFJ. Tovlo's expression-of-self is experienced as beauty by me. The resonance I have with her is one of wonder. I love her very much.

I have a coworker who types as INFJ. He is very much an introvert, but even so, he does not hide his deeply caring nature for those around him.

Yea, INFJs rock.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    xNFJ

Teachers told my parents that they put me in the class with the most disruptive pupils every year to balance things out. :rolli:

Ironically, I've become rather anti-establishment in my (very relative) old age. While everyone else is learning to accept and appreciate authority, I'm more suspicious of it everyday. One step away from dressing mainly in foil.

I don't think INFJ is the most rare type, actually. I read somewhere that the statistics were very flawed. From my experience online and off, I'd say it's more likely ISFP, INFP or ENFJ. INFPs are common online but hard to find anywhere else, ENFJs are almost impossible, and I think I've only ever known of one ISFP, and that was online.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You are totally right, that's the new spirit of the age. The United States used to be very SJ in the 50's. Now I would call the popular culture very SP, with a dose of N thrown into things (or at least SPs are open to N in a way that SJ is not).

And the late 60s and 70s were very very NF, and based on the 1939 World Fair the Depression era and WW2 was NT, the 20's were SPish. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a cycle here...
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    I was in the same situation too. Especially in school... Teachers would put the poorly performing kids all near me thinking I'd help them, and I would; yet I always felt a little used, that the teachers didn't care that I wanted to have some peace sometimes. Most of the time I wanted to tell them, "I can't save these kids, okay! They don't care. There is nothing I can do about that! Now stop putting them near me because they're starting to bully me!"

I loathe the J/P and T/F sections. Because whatever the question is, I'm both, neither, and one of them all at the same time! It's like...where's the "all at once" answer? To me, being compassionate means maintaining a certain amount of objectivity while experiencing this other person's emotions as your own. Otherwise, it's useless. You get bogged down in the emotions and forget that being compassionate (to me anyway) means not just understanding how someone feels, but finding solutions to solve the problem. The whole point of getting into that other person's head (so to speak) is to gain a new perspective of the situation at hand.

I was always seated near the poorly performing kids as well. I ended up helping them, but like you, I felt a bit used. I find that happens often now that I am older... In the past at work, I tended to be placed with the more difficult people, poorly performing stores, and really in any situation where it would be my responsibility to improve upon something. To bring it to a personal level, I also tend to attract people who need to be "fixed" & are taken back when they realize the older I get, the less I feel like "fixing" someone.

The J/P & T/F sections drive me up a wall. Do you have a messy desk? Yes, I do - but I'm definitely not a P. I also have a messy room & when I'm tired, my house can look like a downright disaster (though I tend to keep my house clean in case I get company, as I wouldn't want to make my guests uncomfortable - yay Fe). Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Well, my J need for closure & completion tends to be a bit more task oriented - especially when I am in the process of working towards a goal & even more so when I am close to a deadline. Does that make me a T??

I wonder if this is an INFJ thing, actually. I've read that we tend to be the more "T" of the NF's and the more "P" of the J's - whatever that means.