• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The elusive INFJ

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not in any real way a J (I laugh when someone tries to insinuate I could be, obviously they have not seen me in real life!) ... but when I get *really* angry, I start washing dishes and cleaning up and whatever else I can do as far as physical concrete tasks go into order to burn off the energy.

(If I don't, I think I'll explode.)

From the outside, it's quite hilarious to watch myself do this... talk about a frenzy of activity from someone who is normally so reserved/understated.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Have you ever done this?
When I would get angry, I would start cleaning and detailing while I thought about my angry feelings.

I don't so much clean as I do cook. Maybe it's the Italian upbringing. ;)

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not in any real way a J (I laugh when someone tries to insinuate I could be, obviously they have not seen me in real life!) ... but when I get *really* angry, I start washing dishes and cleaning up and whatever else I can do as far as physical concrete tasks go into order to burn off the energy.

(If I don't, I think I'll explode.)

From the outside, it's quite hilarious to watch myself do this... talk about a frenzy of activity from someone who is normally so reserved/understated.

My INTP friend goes to the gym every time he's angry/frustrated. He says HAS to burn it off or he'll explode -but he always does it in some sort of frenzy like you described. Or maybe it just looks like a frenzy because of his normally calm demeanor...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INTP friend goes to the gym every time he's angry/frustrated. He says HAS to burn it off or he'll explode -but he always does it in some sort of frenzy like you described. Or maybe it just looks like a frenzy because of his normally calm demeanor...

ha, maybe you're right...:) Maybe I still look like a Slowskie, but just after they've had a few shots of caffeine. ("Look at that turtle go! It must be... 3mph! Wow!")

Part of it is the stuffage. I just can't stuff anymore, and it is like a lightning bolt coursing through your brain, scrambling everything. Bye bye, conscious thought; all I can do is motor-related tasks.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does this happen to anyone else? Getting stuck in your introverted functions when you're down in the dumps & not utilizing your extraverted functions enough to pull yourself out of it?

Oh yes!! I get 'stuck' easily in my introverted thoughts.

And the silly part is that each time it happens, it's like it's the first time; I kinda allow myself to stay stuck, because of the concept of 'working through all of it'.

My thoughts tend to revolve around the same sorts of topics, so I always revisit the same things, over and over.

The net result is that I usually completely emotionally and mentally exhaust myself. I think it takes exhaustian on all levels for me to be done with it. :) And I often think I would have had the same net outcome, had I not gone there to begin with, and just done activities instead, and avoided the mental/emotional strain. ;-) After exhausting myself, I am then completely refreshed, calm, and can enter life with gusto, until the next time a stressor pushes me inward.

It's an odd thing. I'm getting better at it over time though. I think. :shock:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Have you ever done this?
When I would get angry, I would start cleaning and detailing while I thought about my angry feelings.

No, I tend to throw things. But my father is an INTJ and he does do what you do. My mother often jokes about making him angry on purpose so he'll finish his latest project.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No, I tend to throw things. But my father is an INTJ and he does do what you do. My mother often jokes about making him angry on purpose so he'll finish his latest project.
LOL! Your mom. She's funny.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I normally verbally vent. If it's too bad for that, I like to go for a walk or just run away from home for awhile. Go get a soda and read a book by myself for an hour or two.

If I'm cleaning, I'm usually in a foul mood but the cleaning (or rather that I'm the only one cleaning) is the cause of the foul mood, not the other way around.

sade

INFJs do seem to share common interests

I've been posting on a weather board for almost three years now, and it would be safe to assume that at least 90% of the posters there are IN's.... When polled, 38% of the board came up as INFJ.

I know a long hair board with disproportioned amount of INFJs & INTJs. When polled IN's were most common, with INFJs, INTJs, INTPs, INFPs and ISTJs cleary most common ones. The INFJs and INTJs were the most represented thought.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
My concern is that on iNuitive central, then INTPcentral, and now here, there is such an emphasis on valuing iNtuitive reasoning, that Sensing becomes a dumping ground for whatever thinking styles are rejected by the group as a whole. That is why we get these silly stereotypes like S's don't have a sense of humor, can't understand sarcasm, are unintelligent, etc. Of course people will assume they are an N instead when they are intelligent and enjoy sarcasm, etc. Also, it is very popular to consider oneself intuitive in the traditional use of the word. It implies special insight. Sensing is a word with less meaning to people in general. Sensors have a much richer pallet of reasoning than these boards suggest. I would just bet that if Sensing were treated with more respect and understood for all its diversity and depth that many posters here would realize they are not Ns at all. Many people who think they are infj's or think they know one would also discover a different type - and very often an ISFJ for example.

INFJ and ISFJ are equal in value, both with specific strengths and weaknesses, but they are quite different. Perhaps the reason it seems important to raise this issue is that people don't often understand the infj, and by lumping in a bunch of other types, labeling them as infj, we get this confused mess and a bunch of people assuming they understand a type that they actually have no experience with whatsoever.

Wow. I realize this was written a whole year ago, but I just want to say that this totally echoes the way I've thought for a long time! I believe many people have mistyped themselves and everyone they know, mainly because they really don't understand what it means to have a preference for iNtuition -- as opposed to using one's natural intuition to serve one's dominant preference for sening. How many times must it be written that everyone does both (in other words, uses their senses and their intuition) before the majority of people finally get it?

I have been discussing type for about 5 years now (on another discussion group in Yahoogroups), and I can tell you how annoying it is to have people write to me personally to tell me I can't possibly have ISFP preferences because (a) I'm articulate, or (b) "Sensors don't understand about type anyway", or (c) I'm not boring them to tears, or (d) I'm thoughtful --apparently it's believed that if you prefer sensing, you can't think--, or (e) I'm "sensitive" --because apparently people believe if you prefer sensing, you can't have strong, passionate feelings either. Is it any wonder that if this is the layman's definition of what it means to prefer Sensing, then they will only notice "Sensing" in those who are acting stupid, thoughtless and boring? And that they will "type" anyone else they run into as preferring iNtuition, whether or not they actually do have that as a preference?

so I end up saying to them, No, I don't prefer iNtuition. THIS is what a 37 year old college-educated ISFP who has lived around people of all types is like. Deal with it. ;) Can't say I'm sorry if that blows your biased beliefs out of the water.

There have been times I've been tempted to call myself an iNtuitive whenever I'm around type enthusiasts just so I can escape the negative labels that have been pinned onto my actual type, though I haven't actually done that, and I'd consider it a weakness. I'd much rather people stop believing all that crap about those of us who prefer Sensing. Although I can understand where the bias comes from (yes, we all know stupid people who never think and who only talk about the most boring things, and yes, they probably prefer Sensing), I don't think it actually helps anyone understand the people in their world better who prefer Sensing but who are also thoughtful and articulate, much less use psychological type to make relationships work better.

All the hoards of people who profess "INFJ preferences" and who champion the INFJ type as being the "rarest" of the types and therefore the most desirable really amuses me because my mother does indeed have a preference for INFJ, and I highly doubt she'd think that the more glamorized type descriptions of her type really speak to the heart of who she is. If anything, her preference for introverted iNtuition has been something she's struggled with, and made peace with rather than championed as being the cool thing everybody ought to aspire to be. (By the way, instead of concrete, sensory pastimes, my mother spends most of her waking moments in Biblical study, prayer and contemplation. She'd have made a good nun. So much for glamorous idea that INFJs live these fabulous and romantic lives).

Sarah
ISFP

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think INJs spend the most time online. Well, INTPs too.
18 hours a day, max. Except Saturday, we might pull an all-nighter.

I can tell you how annoying it is to have people write to me personally to tell me I can't possibly have ISFP preferences because (a) I'm articulate, or (b) "Sensors don't understand about type anyway", or (c) I'm not boring them to tears, or (d) I'm thoughtful --apparently it's believed that if you prefer sensing, you can't think--, or (e) I'm "sensitive"
I don't know what those people were thinking, that's all SJ stuff. I'm just kitten around.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't even understand the appeal of a fabulous exciting life. I just wanted a nice husband, some healthy kids, a home of my own, and a comfortable life. Are INFJs supposed to want fabulous exciting lives? :huh:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't even understand the appeal of a fabulous exciting life. I just wanted a nice husband, some healthy kids, a home of my own, and a comfortable life. Are INFJs supposed to want fabulous exciting lives? :huh:
Not in my book. I think introverts are pretty boring, especially myself.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Not in my book. I think introverts are pretty boring, especially myself.
Yeah, it seems to me that a fabulous, exciting life would interfere with reading my life away. My extroverted friends seem more interested in fabulousness and excitement.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, it seems to me that a fabulous, exciting life would interfere with reading my life away. My extroverted friends seem more interested in fabulousness and excitement.
That's why I love them. It provides balance to my boring existence. E and I go so well together.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree. I would almost prefer being the E in the relationship. But more than that, I would prefer being the F. Woohoo!

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Just so long as the E's let me finish my book before dragging me anywhere.

Had a great clash of realities last night. We were correcting 7th grade papers and one question was "IF you could be any TV character, which one would you choose and why?" My ESTP husband said, "If I were answering this I'd choose host on one of those fishing guide shows, and get paid to have fun." I just cracked up because I of course want to be Counselor on the Enterprise...Makes those INFJs really hard to find...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just so long as the E's let me finish my book before dragging me anywhere.

Had a great clash of realities last night. We were correcting 7th grade papers and one question was "IF you could be any TV character, which one would you choose and why?" My ESTP husband said, "If I were answering this I'd choose host on one of those fishing guide shows, and get paid to have fun." I just cracked up because I of course want to be Counselor on the Enterprise...Makes those INFJs really hard to find...

Interesting! See, and I kinda think I'd want to be on a show like Lost. :) Total adventure.

I've always felt rather 'split', though, in the sense that half of myself does crave stability, and comfort, a place to call home, and security, whereas the other half gets totally bored by that and wants a life of adventure and intrigue. ;-) It makes things..decision-making and planning..a bit more challenging for me, because I don't think I can ever fully satisfy all of my desires/needs. Fulfilling 60% of what I want means the other 40% isn't getting fulfilled..that sorta thing.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I started a thread in Bonfire re: what TV character everyone would like to be. Thanks, edcoaching.