User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I know a few other ISFJs like Shimpei, and they all seem to transcend their "stereotypical descriptions," remaining grounded in reality while keeping open-enough spirits to emulate behavior more typically ascribed to N's. Just very very strong, vibrant people.
    I think... maybe... we call such people... balanced. A rare concept, I know, but there you go!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I think... maybe... we call such people... balanced. A rare concept, I know, but there you go!
    I think we should create a new theory of personality, with two types:

- Balanced
    - Unbalanced

What do you think?

(And since we are both P's, I'm also willing to negotiate with you and create a type called "Sorta Balanced" in-between... where everyone will inevitably be categorized. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

- Balanced
    - Unbalanced

What do you think?

(And since we are both P's, I'm also willing to negotiate with you and create a type called "Sorta Balanced" in-between... where everyone will inevitably be categorized. )

Oh no you don't. I promised not to break the normal distribution graphs anymore.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh no you don't. I promised not to break the normal distribution graphs anymore.
    <considers carefully, then files post in "Unbalanced" category>

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

<considers carefully, then files post in "Unbalanced" category>
    I could of told you that ('INP' being the unbalanced grouping!)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I could of told you that ('INP' being the unbalanced grouping!)
    At least you are in good company, then. (i.e., MINE! )

heart on fire

- Balanced
    - Unbalanced

What do you think?

Well, this might be a good point. Instead of trying to keep people from talking about any of the negatives of their opposite types, they could instead re-phrase it to say "to me that seemed like an example of NF out of balance" or something like that. I think I have benefited by reading the posts of NTs who felt free on INTPc central to express what they felt was the negative side of NF, I can also see myself at different parts of my life in some of the descriptions.

In my opinion, everyone does not inevitably end up in the sort-balanced category. I am a P but I have relatives who rarely act the balanced form of their types. I know that for some reason people don't like to admit that people can be like that, but it is the way some people are.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Normally such emotional goo would send me frantically searching for a spatula, to clean myself off... but I can't help but happily agree with you here, Toonia.
    You really mustn't encourage me like this... picks up handful of goo with a crazed look of glee...
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

- Balanced
    - Unbalanced

What do you think?

My understanding of type and personal development is a vague mix of a lot of what I've read, and from what I understand, it's kind've like this-

1. People who cling to their dominant function and its representative lifestyle while not making any effort to explore outside that mindset tend to become maladaptive, unable to adapt to many situations but possibly excelling in topics they're naturally gifted. By Lenore Thomson's measure, such people tend to show negative aspects of their opposite type, usually without being aware of it.

2. People who explore outside their dominant viewpoint, which Lenore suggests involves a wholesale commitment to the active use of one's secondary function, become more "well-balanced" people who are able to relate to the world and its quirks more positively, while becoming aware of the dangers of their inferior function and their potential to misuse it. I tend to view this as a matter of maturity.

I consider the former an "imbalanced" individual, and the latter a "balanced" individual. I tend to evaluate a person in terms of their type, and then, their level of "balance" as a measure of maturity. I can say with some level of confidence I have seen that people who seem to be immature or imbalanced do tend to exhibit signs of their inferior function in a negative manner. I would consider this another dichotomy to tack onto the end of one's MBTI type.

It has been my personal goal, ever since ~1-2 years into my study of typology, to become one of the latter individuals, and Lenore's advice that I engage Ne as much as possible seems to be working for me. For an INTP, such an act would basically involve "GETTING OUT MORE," and it has helped.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    It has been my personal goal, ever since ~1-2 years into my study of typology, to become one of the latter individuals, and Lenore's advice that I engage Ne as much as possible seems to be working for me. For an INTP, such an act would basically involve "GETTING OUT MORE," and it has helped.
    That was well put! The only thing I'd add is that it may not be as simple as simply using the opposing function...

Every trait has multiple facets. Si can be extremely useful as a way of gathering data - numbers, facts... the accounting stuff. So can Ne, to see the big picture and bring things together.

The problems really lie in dominance within each facet. The reliance on data can make one blind to what the data represents, just as the reliance on the big picture can cause one to ignore that things actually do matter, even the small things that make up the big picture. Unhealthy really shouldn't mean that the other side is absent, IMO, but rather that a facet of the function has taken control. Ne over Ti is just as dangerous as Ne over Si - they both lead to a non-critical look at the world (conspiracy without critical thought vs conspiracy without data).

There is more to to just balance than the degree of preference. Functions need to be channeled together (traits interact, IOW). You can't just work on on being more "F" or being more "Fe". As an INTP, the goal is to learn how to adapt your set of functions to deal with the outside world. In some cases, like small talk, training S-F traits is important, while in other cases, often in philosophy class or something similar, those NF relating traits might be more important. Likewise, in art, you often need multiple traits working together - often some part of Se and N.

Balance here is literal. If you are able to cope other situations, situations that draw upon your weaker functions, you are balanced. If you are heavily avoidant, anxious and/or simply unable to function, you are unbalanced.

(Speaking as someone who has fought for balance on three personality dimensions - not really understood from MBTI - I should also mention that the degree of balance comes from the ability, not from the preference. I'd still rather bury myself in a cave than deal with people... but I'm still able to function and will do so.)