• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how can you tell quickly a person is N or S?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
how?
what is the quickest/fastest, and most efficient ways to know right-away if the person is an N, or an S , when you encounter 'em in daily-life & surrounding you?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Throw something at their head. If they catch it, they're S, if it hits them, they're N. If they get pissed about it, they're J.

allie bug

MBTI Type
ENFP
as an N...i just associate S with anyone dumbfounds me as to the way they think
unlogical maybe...but usually works!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's pretty simple. If you are very familiar with the person, think about the kinds of things they choose to discuss. Abstract or concrete?

Those two words can be intimidating if you don't know what they mean, but basically, do they discuss things in particular that have happened, will happen, or are happening... or do they discuss concepts about things that happen.. patterns and such.

That's how I sort them out.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Throw something at their head. If they catch it, they're S, if it hits them, they're N. If they get pissed about it, they're J.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

And if they fall down, get up quick again, look embarrassed and say, "Hey! What just happened? Sorry I fell down." then they're INFP!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
:yim_rolling_on_the_

And if they fall down, get up quick again, look embarrassed and say, "Hey! What just happened? Sorry I fell down." then they're INFP!

I don't know, that's a really ballsy INFP, talkin back like that...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Prolly stole 'em from someone else. ;)

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I usually identify Ns - if I'm just observing people from afar - as the people that stare up and off to nowhere when they are thinking, or intimidatingly, while talking.

Just something I've picked up along the way. This mostly derived from the fact that I do that, and the Ns that I know personally do that as well.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
hmm I don't really have a lot of experience with N's one of my best friends is an INFP and she's definatley unique. She'll talk to her dog in some random language that she's created. When we'll go shopping or to Newbury comics (a cd store) she'll walk up and down each aisle 5 or 10 times and this drives me crazy! She'll be driving us somehwere and she'll be involved in a story and we'll almost miss our exit until I chime in and say something. She likes and doesn't like how I bring her down to reality and I tell it like it is. She's always falling or going to the doctors for one thing or another.

It's not bad things just things that i've noticed. I love the fact that she doesn't give a damn and doesn't conform to society at all. She always wears something new every time I see her. Overall a very interesting person and I get excited whenever we get together because who knows what we can get ourselvs into :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how?
what is the quickest/fastest, and most efficient ways to know right-away if the person is an N, or an S , when you encounter 'em in daily-life & surrounding you?

What's the rush?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I usually identify Ns - if I'm just observing people from afar - as the people that stare up and off to nowhere when they are thinking, or intimidatingly, while talking.

Just something I've picked up along the way. This mostly derived from the fact that I do that, and the Ns that I know personally do that as well.

I do this. It's like I have to make a conscious effort to think. My husband says, "It looks like you're having a thought. Congratulations!"

Then I tickle him to death. :smile:

Yes, I think we're full of quirky fun.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
...Then I tickle him to death. :smile:

I can think of worse ways to die. :D

Niki, I'm not sure it's the fastest way, but if you talk to someone for about 5 minutes, and the words "what if" come out of their mouth multiple times in that conversation, I think you're likely talking to an N.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah Ns are likely to bring in hypotheticals.

Be more specific. As an ISTJ, I can surround you with hypothetical "what might happen if we do this?" questions. That doesn't mean I'm an N, just that I'm obsessed with preparation.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

that's funny but not true...haha...i have super fast reflexes like a ninja girl

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
like someone mentioned above, a lot has to do with modes of speech. abstract modes would be intuitive and concrete modes would be sensor. this is mentioned in Please Understand Me Part II.

now my personal opinion and my way of observing people:

just as a disclaimer, this is a very off hand way of describing it. it's very hard to formulate into words so i dont expect this to make sense but i generally type people with a 90% accuracy without even speaking to them.

SJ -> direct, focused, but aware of external environment look in their eyes and body language. they have an obvious cool and focused intensity.

SP -> seem to be aware of external environment but almost don't seem to care about it. this is the hardest for me to explain, its obvious when you see an SP though. i dont wanna say aware of external environment but layed back because that would be too easy

sensors in general seem like they have an idea of what is going on.

NF -> somewhat graceful in movement. they have a certain fluidity to them (especially NFPs). almost never have a focused or direct look in their eyes, always somewhere else. from the NFs i know, it seems that they are always looking around but never focusing on anything.

NT -> you can pick an NT out of a crowd without a problem. movements seem almost forced. many that i know (NTPs especially) crane their neck forward (though ive noticed this in a few NFs). many times i see NTs with a look of almost disgust or a smirk on their face, like they are criticizing something in their head.

intuitives in general dont SEEM like they have any idea what is going on

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
how?
I don't think there is a fool-proof method, to be honest.
It depends how well you know the system already,
and what you know and what you don't know.

I think N and S are the toughest to discern because those cover how a person prefers to take in information. Since we can't see them thinking, we have to wait for them to say something.

I guess my ISTP husband would say that an N is more likely than an S would be to not see something and bump into it. An S would be more likely to be eavesdropping on conversations or paying attention to their surroundings.

Never forget this is about preferences, so if you have limited contact with someone, it's possible you might be catching them at a time when they might not be using their preferred dimension.

Once a person starts talking, you can kind of tell what type they might be by how literal and specific they tend to be, or whether they frequently use general statements and give the general idea of something.
It's always better when you know a few real-life examples to compare with.
I don't personally feel comfortable jumping to conclusions about someone's type.
I just deal with the individual dimensions.

For instance, my INFP sister absolutely hates it when I want to help her do something the "quickest/fastest, and most efficient way". So frankly, I tend to think all INFPs have a tendency to consider speed and efficiency unimportant in meeting their goals in life. Just because you said that, should I assume one of you is not an INFP?

No. What I do, is assume I don't know enough yet.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Be more specific. As an ISTJ, I can surround you with hypothetical "what might happen if we do this?" questions. That doesn't mean I'm an N, just that I'm obsessed with preparation.

LOL!

This whole post tickles me, from the opening sentence to the N vs. S misunderstanding of "hypothetical".

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Check their name tag at the MBTI meet-up.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
like someone mentioned above, a lot has to do with modes of speech. abstract modes would be intuitive and concrete modes would be sensor. this is mentioned in Please Understand Me Part II.

now my personal opinion and my way of observing people:

just as a disclaimer, this is a very off hand way of describing it. it's very hard to formulate into words so i dont expect this to make sense but i generally type people with a 90% accuracy without even speaking to them.

SJ -> direct, focused, but aware of external environment look in their eyes and body language. they have an obvious cool and focused intensity.

SP -> seem to be aware of external environment but almost don't seem to care about it. this is the hardest for me to explain, its obvious when you see an SP though. i dont wanna say aware of external environment but layed back because that would be too easy

sensors in general seem like they have an idea of what is going on.

NF -> somewhat graceful in movement. they have a certain fluidity to them (especially NFPs). almost never have a focused or direct look in their eyes, always somewhere else. from the NFs i know, it seems that they are always looking around but never focusing on anything.

NT -> you can pick an NT out of a crowd without a problem. movements seem almost forced. many that i know (NTPs especially) crane their neck forward (though ive noticed this in a few NFs). many times i see NTs with a look of almost disgust or a smirk on their face, like they are criticizing something in their head.

intuitives in general dont SEEM like they have any idea what is going on

that is SO funny to me!! i mean...i know it's serious and everything but it's funny to me that people behave this way...i do totally...and how funny is that?
i love that and am totally going to be thinking of that now when i meet people haha