• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how can you tell quickly a person is N or S?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Most... is not all. Why try to figure it out yourself if somebody else has done the work already? Asking the question only takes 2 seconds.

Yes, but then it would involve more time explaining it to them, with zero results since they couldn't tell me so I'm still left with the question, plus I had to use more energy explaining something to them that I sort of understand but can't explain properly.

Easiest way for me is how they react when I inevitably start asking questions that have nothing to do with all things terra firma.

There is a connection with another N that is hard to explain, it's like a spark of familiarity, less so with an NT for me, but still there to some extent.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL!

This whole post tickles me, from the opening sentence to the N vs. S misunderstanding of "hypothetical".

It appears raz is one of the few (probably like 3) on the forum who's capable of differentiating applications of rhetoric.

My applause to you raz.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about this, is this any good? Two girls are dating the same guy, and he picks one. The one he didn't pick is FURIOUS because she wears so much better shoes than the girl that was chosen. Gotta be an S, right?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
How about this, is this any good? Two girls are dating the same guy, and he picks one. The one he didn't pick is FURIOUS because she wears so much better shoes than the girl that was chosen. Gotta be an S, right?
It could also be a rodeo clown, denying a more serious character flaw. :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Yes, but then it would involve more time explaining it to them, with zero results since they couldn't tell me so I'm still left with the question, plus I had to use more energy explaining something to them that I sort of understand but can't explain properly.

Easiest way for me is how they react when I inevitably start asking questions that have nothing to do with all things terra firma.

There is a connection with another N that is hard to explain, it's like a spark of familiarity, less so with an NT for me, but still there to some extent.

Of course there's a connection with Ns... that's not really my point though.

Why would you want to know whether somebody is an N or a S? Because you'll likely be interacting with said person for at least the next little while. Would you randomly try to type every person walking down the street? I sure wouldn't... it'll be meaningless.

If you ask them do they know of their MBTI type and they say no. Then ask you about it... then it's the perfect opportunity to define their type by having them answer questions. I think that'll be a whole lot more accurate than you judging as to whether they're paying attention to their surroundings or not.

In other words, what's the purpose of the quick read? To just randomly assign a type? Or do you actually want to get it right?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Or do you actually want to get it right?

I think you'll find most people simply want to classify others... simplify their world view, put people into little boxes.

I wish I could say otherwise, but that's the tendency... The N/S highlights it well, with a lot of 'you don't understand because you are a...'.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think you'll find most people simply want to classify others... simplify their world view, put people into little boxes.

I wish I could say otherwise, but that's the tendency... The N/S highlights it well, with a lot of 'you don't understand because you are a...'.

*smacks head*

Never mind then... keep going with your categorizing... :steam:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Of course there's a connection with Ns... that's not really my point though.

Why would you want to know whether somebody is an N or a S? Because you'll likely be interacting with said person for at least the next little while. Would you randomly try to type every person walking down the street? I sure wouldn't... it'll be meaningless.

If you ask them do they know of their MBTI type and they say no. Then ask you about it... then it's the perfect opportunity to define their type by having them answer questions. I think that'll be a whole lot more accurate than you judging as to whether they're paying attention to their surroundings or not.

In other words, what's the purpose of the quick read? To just randomly assign a type? Or do you actually want to get it right?

I don't know.....this thing called communication? As long as you don't get too black and white about it.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Throw something at their head. If they catch it, they're S, if it hits them, they're N. If they get pissed about it, they're J.

I could image you saying that by looking at your avatar picture. To determine S or N, try talking theory to them. S types will attempt to bail. N types will probably be taken in. J types will get pissed off and yell at you at the minimum.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This is the toughest category (S/N) to judge if you know a person and are trying to type them. I can usually tell N's easily if they think of things in a different way than I do, and in a unique, more imaginative way. I perceive things more directly.

The humanmetrics test can get a lot of ST's mistyped as NT's because of the contemplation questions. An ST can find themselves exposed to a lot of N things out of interest, but it doesn't mean it comes as easily to them as it would for an N.

Very good point, raz.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I usually identify Ns - if I'm just observing people from afar - as the people that stare up and off to nowhere when they are thinking, or intimidatingly, while talking.

Just something I've picked up along the way. This mostly derived from the fact that I do that, and the Ns that I know personally do that as well.

I do that a lot, and I'm definitely an S.

Niki, I'm not sure it's the fastest way, but if you talk to someone for about 5 minutes, and the words "what if" come out of their mouth multiple times in that conversation, I think you're likely talking to an N.

This is a good one. I don't like to use "what if" at all. For the most part, I look at things as they are.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I do that a lot, and I'm definitely an S.

This is a good one. I don't like to use "what if" at all. For the most part, I look at things as they are.

Uhh. I tend to use What if a lot, but more directed toward a specific situation in a manner of preparation, not in a general sense.

Snow Turtle

I was contemplating the difference between the Ni user and the Si user in terms of thinking for the future.

Ni - What could be? What if?
Si - What will be. The what if are still directed towards realistic scenarios.

Edit: Just noticed timing of this thread: Fail bump by other user... >_>

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
^ ^
I work with an ISTP who seems almost unable to tolerate me at times because of this one. I get a lot of, "Well, that isn't very realistic..."

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Uhh. I tend to use What if a lot, but more directed toward a specific situation in a manner of preparation, not in a general sense.

Haha alrighty then. I guess it was just me.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The other day I went fishing with my Dad (ISTP), my cousin (ENTP) and a family friend (likely a ESTJ). My cousin and I were, for some reason, discussing time travel and predestination paradoxes.

My Dad turns to the family friend and says, "Some people's minds just never stop".

This to me is one of the major differences between Ns and Ss. An N just can't stop mentally pulling things apart and trying to work them out, purely for the sake of understanding it all. An S deal more with what's around them, what is concrete and what necessitates attention.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
The other day I went fishing with my Dad (ISTP), my cousin (ENTP) and a family friend (likely a ESTJ). My cousin and I were, for some reason, discussing time travel and predestination paradoxes.

My Dad turns to the family friend and says, "Some people's minds just never stop".

This to me is one of the major differences between Ns and Ss. An N just can't stop mentally pulling things apart and trying to work them out, purely for the sake of understanding it all. An S deal more with what's around them, what is concrete and what necessitates attention.

I don't mean to blast your theory, but I love discussing time travel, paranormal, and other unreal things. Just because it's interesting to me. And I'm an S.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Thats not a typical ISTP response, yo may want to try retyping him based in functions themselves. ISTPs are Ti dominant, my mind never stops thinking. A typcial ISTP response to an N conversation is say where theories fall apart. I love philisophy for the fact that it is like a goal, but I can give so many reasons why we will never reach that goal and I can also get into so many reason why we still need to push toward it even though we will never reach it. Basically I make the theory practical, I pull out of a theory the reason why humanity needs to strive towards it and why we need to believe in it even though it may fall apart at so many levels.