User Tag List

12 Last

beyondaurora

Question The magic in not knowing

I am interested in your thoughts on this in terms of functions and type.

I'm not a big fan of metaphors, especially if I am forced to interpret them (I am reminded of how much I hated my English literature class).

However, Tori Amos is my favorite musician. I admit that much of the time I have no idea what she's talking about, and I prefer it that way, because for some reason that's magical to me. Between her rhyming patterns, instrumentation, etc., a very beautiful landscape is painted and an emotional impression formed. Her music brings me to a very spiritual place.

Examples of her lyrics:

• "Caught a light sneeze, caught a light breeze, caught a lightweight lightening seed."
    • "Father Lucifer, you never looked so strange. You always did prefer the drizzle to the rain. Tell me that you're still in love with the milkmaid."
    • "And if there, is a way, to find you, I will find you. But will you, find me if, Neil makes me a tree? An athro, a pharoah, I can't go, you said so. But threads that, are golden, don't break easily."
    • "Don't stop now, what you're doing, what you're doing, my ugly one. Bring them all here, hard to hide a, a hundred girls in your hair. It won't be fair if I hate her, if I ate her, you can go now, you can go now, you can go now, you can go now."

MBTI
    ENFP

I love her too!!!!! And yes I do agree that there is a certain magical mystery i not knowing what someone means however, I like it best when I get a vague impression of something in mind mind of what they mean.. almost like a ghostly echo of it in my mind... I find that haunting and I actively look for that feeling in music and films and painting and art in general... the ethereal and surreal makes the real a little more bearable..
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    ..almost like a ghostly echo of it in my mind...
    Exactly! With Tori, especially, I feel as though I've been there before. As though she's describing my experience in a past life.

MBTI
    ENFP

I know exactly what you mean... I find this a little with some of Kate Bush's music too... and her writing is also haunting..

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

hehe actually this is the related to why I love Bocelli so much - I can't understand a WORD of italian, so all I pay attention to is the voice and music... Like when Red was listening to that opera piece in Shawshank..... sometimes it's better to imagine than to know!

MBTI
    INFP

I like Tori's music a lot also. She plays with words and images and does create a sort of ethereal, magical world complete with mind pictures.

It speaks to the heart even when the individual words don't make sense.

Every now and then I play "I want to kill this waitress" and have a good laugh.

A pensive, playful woman, she is.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    LoLz

Reminds me of a quote from Dawson's Creek:

Look. It's like this. Most people, when they get to college, feel really insecure. It seems like everybody around them knows so much more. So they race to try to catch up, pretend to know things, instead of slowing down to actually learn them. Because they don't realize that the discomfort of uncertainty is the most precious part of the experience. See, if you can feel comfortable... not knowing, you can learn anything, ANYTHING. And if not, well, then you've stopped before you've begun.
    Different kind of "not knowing" I think, though.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Different kind of "not knowing" I think, though.

Yeah...interesting quote though.

MBTI
    ENFP

Very interesting and so true you can never learn if you can never admit that you need to

MBTI
    LoLz

It was a quote from a creepy INFJ professor trying to get in the pants of his ISFJ student.