• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The magic in not knowing

B

beyondaurora

I am interested in your thoughts on this in terms of functions and type.

I'm not a big fan of metaphors, especially if I am forced to interpret them (I am reminded of how much I hated my English literature class).

However, Tori Amos is my favorite musician. I admit that much of the time I have no idea what she's talking about, and I prefer it that way, because for some reason that's magical to me. Between her rhyming patterns, instrumentation, etc., a very beautiful landscape is painted and an emotional impression formed. Her music brings me to a very spiritual place.

Examples of her lyrics:

• "Caught a light sneeze, caught a light breeze, caught a lightweight lightening seed."
  • "Father Lucifer, you never looked so strange. You always did prefer the drizzle to the rain. Tell me that you're still in love with the milkmaid."
  • "And if there, is a way, to find you, I will find you. But will you, find me if, Neil makes me a tree? An athro, a pharoah, I can't go, you said so. But threads that, are golden, don't break easily."
  • "Don't stop now, what you're doing, what you're doing, my ugly one. Bring them all here, hard to hide a, a hundred girls in your hair. It won't be fair if I hate her, if I ate her, you can go now, you can go now, you can go now, you can go now."

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love her too!!!!! And yes I do agree that there is a certain magical mystery i not knowing what someone means however, I like it best when I get a vague impression of something in mind mind of what they mean.. almost like a ghostly echo of it in my mind... I find that haunting and I actively look for that feeling in music and films and painting and art in general... the ethereal and surreal makes the real a little more bearable..

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know exactly what you mean... I find this a little with some of Kate Bush's music too... and her writing is also haunting..

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
hehe actually this is the related to why I love Bocelli so much - I can't understand a WORD of italian, so all I pay attention to is the voice and music... Like when Red was listening to that opera piece in Shawshank..... sometimes it's better to imagine than to know!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I like Tori's music a lot also. She plays with words and images and does create a sort of ethereal, magical world complete with mind pictures.

It speaks to the heart even when the individual words don't make sense.

Every now and then I play "I want to kill this waitress" and have a good laugh.

A pensive, playful woman, she is.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Reminds me of a quote from Dawson's Creek:

Look. It's like this. Most people, when they get to college, feel really insecure. It seems like everybody around them knows so much more. So they race to try to catch up, pretend to know things, instead of slowing down to actually learn them. Because they don't realize that the discomfort of uncertainty is the most precious part of the experience. See, if you can feel comfortable... not knowing, you can learn anything, ANYTHING. And if not, well, then you've stopped before you've begun.

Different kind of "not knowing" I think, though.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Very interesting and so true you can never learn if you can never admit that you need to

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It was a quote from a creepy INFJ professor trying to get in the pants of his ISFJ student.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
OK thanks for that spin on it... kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth now...

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I guess it's the enigma of the whole thing? It makes things more interesting/wonderous.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
what do you think Tori's personality type is?