User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is part of our personality hidden from us?

This was posted by ? a while back?
    In their booklet “The 16 Personality Types: Descriptions for Self-Discovery”, Dr. Linda v. Berens and Dario Nardi said that there is a logic behind the names given in their system. The first word in the name is the inside view, how we often see ourselves and what others don’t see. The second word in the name is the outside view, how others see us and what we may not see in ourselves. Thus as an Analyzer Operator, I see the Analyzer (one who examines methodically by separating into parts and studying their interrelations) in myself, however I am oblivious to the Operator (one who operates a machine, apparatus, or the like). As such others may see us highly capable of operating tools but we do not see it in ourselves, resulting in non-relation to that aspect of who we are.

This is most likely the case of all introverted types resulting in INTPs seeing the Designer but not the Theorizer, INFJs seeing the Forseer, but not the Developer and so on.
    I would agree. I am ISFP and can see Composer but not Producer. In fact I often beat myself up over not being productive enough.

People have sometimes mentioned there is a part of me I cannot see.
    So I'm curious can you see the second word in yourself?

Here is the list of names.
    ESTP Promoter Executors
    ESFP Motivator Presenters
    ESTJ Implementor Supervisors
    ESFJ Facilitator Caretakers
    ENTJ Strategist Mobilizers
    ENTP Explorer Inventors
    ENFJ Envisioner Mentors
    ENFP Discoverer Advocates
    ISTP Analyzer Operators
    ISFP Composer Producers
    ISTJ Planner Inspectors
    ISFJ Protector Supporters
    INTJ Conceptualizer Directors
    INTP Designer Theorizers
    INFJ Foreseer Developers
    INFP Harmonizer Clarifiers

Sounds a bit like the theory behind Johari Wondow...

Wikipedia link

As ESTP I can actually see both descriptors in my personality...

(although I wonder which definition of "executor"they mean )

In case it may well be that I have tried to learn a lot about the strenghts and weaknesses of my type so I am able to recognise the descriptors.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

interesting...i don't know if others see me the same as i see myself...but that reminds me of an old boss who i was kind of arguing with in defense of someone else...and he said what are you...her advocate...and i was like no...i'm just blah...blah...but actually at the time i didn't even know what it meant!! that's embarrassing but true...i was young...but since then...i actually do sometimes notice when i'm doing it.

i sometimes feel like people can't express their point in a way that the person they are talking to will understand...i feel like i get where they are both coming from and i typically don't have a strong opinion about it but feel the need to help them communicate effectively...so yeah...i guess i am that way.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    interesting...i don't know if others see me the same as i see myself...but that reminds me of an old boss who i was kind of arguing with in defense of someone else...and he said what are you...her advocate...and i was like no...i'm just blah...blah...but actually at the time i didn't even know what it meant!! that's embarrassing but true...i was young...but since then...i actually do sometimes notice when i'm doing it.

i sometimes feel like people can't express their point in a way that the person they are talking to will understand...i feel like i get where they are both coming from and i typically don't have a strong opinion about it but feel the need to help them communicate effectively...so yeah...i guess i am that way.
    So you can see the discoverer part?

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    People have sometimes mentioned there is a part of me I cannot see.
    So I'm curious can you see the second word in yourself?
    ENTJ Strategist Mobilizers
    I definitely see both. We can't help but mobilize and coordinate others

I do think that our outward appearance may reflect a part of us that we can't see about ourselves, though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

So you can see the discoverer part?
    yeah for sure...it's my favorite...it's what i live for...adventure and discovery...never ending quest to find the meaning and/ or beauty in things...yep.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    EN_P
    Enneagram
    7or6
    Socionics
    IEE

yeah... I see both in myself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

so maybe cuz the extroverts are extroverting the behavior and get external feedback we can see it but an introvert might not?
    -Jim Morrison

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

INFP Harmonizer Clarifiers
    The only thing that comes in mind about clarifying is when there is a debate kind of situation, and one of the sides debates with huge amount of info about the subject, I am usually able to see the core through the unrelated or trivial things and often able to dig it out for the other people. I'm not sure if this is what it is supposed to mean.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Planner--yes
    Inspector--yes

Both pretty obvious. (submits his data)
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-12-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: pronoun
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.