User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Functions

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i need to know the order of all 8 functions for an infj (and all types really).

in the developmental model is the idea that we generally only progress/develop 4 main jungian cognitive functions/processes? i want to know what would come 5th and 6th according to the theoretical literature.

i already feel as if my Ti is more developed than my Fe, due to an intense academic focus in theoretical work, and a lack of a supportive environment where i could/would want to connect with the feelings of others on a frequent basis.

also, what are the differing theories as far as function order goes 1-4?

From your posts alone I can tell you have strong Fe.

My tertiary feels pretty strong these days also. I think once you pass your teens your first three functions start to become pretty prominent. Your inferior appears to come 8th though, or at least with a lot of the ENFPs results I've seen, we get little or no Si.

Though if you take a step back from types and look at functions as more fundamental, the fact you are a certain type is just because function order is close to that. I'm something like Ne Fi Ti Te Fe, so have a tendency toward ENXP, even though my preference is clearly ENFP. It is interesting that there seems to be some order and not complete randomness though. Maybe some functions are too opposite to sit side by side as dominant and auxiliary, and others are more comfortable to pair.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    It is interesting that there seems to be some order and not complete randomness though. Maybe some functions are too opposite to sit side by side as dominant and auxiliary, and others are more comfortable to pair.
    exactly! balancing, like everything is more of a pattern of activation than a specific oppositional pair. they are part of a larger unfolding process and you can have strange growth but things fit together in complex but relatively durable ways.

as far as my first four functions go, it sounds about right.
    Ni Fe Ti (Se)
    these and this order i cannot disagree with

the Se Ti Fe Ni shadow of ESTP appears very menacingly and makes me uncomfortable, i have an irrational fear and distaste for them that gets better as i get healthier

i like this theory a lot, all this Fe Fi talk (much of which is in my head) and some Ni Ne discussion makes me very interested to know where these two functions hypothetically, generally, etc fall into place for me as an infj.

in some inferior is 4th, in some inferior is 8th (a more completist view?) or just less of a developmental model, in which case it would be absurd to think that anyone would develop all 8 functions in different epochs of their lives?

deleted

Functions do matter, but a true test result will be the best determiner.

If you really have Ti significantly over Fe then you should actually test as an INTJ on the 4 preference MBTI test, right?

Then you get to thinking, well if feeling is my primary extroverted function, the way I actually extrovert, then it must be pretty significant, just like Ni is your primary introverted function.

You have to ask yourself how dominant Ti is in the presence of Ni. If it is quite bold you are likely a T thinker. I think Ti / Ni conflict with each other is another decent sign of a T thinker.

For instance if Fe has an independent role within you and Ti and Ni cooperate nicely as a whole than you're more likely an F.

Because it is a mirage. If Ti and Ni cooperate, that means they share the introverted pot, thus appearing much more utilized because of their codependence, when in reality Fe is of a different almost equally productive unit that stands for itself, which in this circumstance you are likely an F.

Ti = independent = likely T
    Ti = cooperative or dependent = likely F if Fe is noticeable

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Ti is way different than the Te of intj. i am decidedly un-hierarchical. more of spitting and spattering than organizing top-down. i rarely remember to build slowly with small pieces in stepwise motion. it's more erratic. i have a big picture Ni but each day i wake up in a new room. what happens there is anybody's guess.

you are right that Fe operates way more independently than either Ni or Ti for me. they are co-harmonious, whereas Fe gets, at times, almost NO help from Se and sometimes severely limits my ability to feel comfortable extroverting/improvising in areas of social life that are not based on verbalization.

i definitely use Ti to explore things more than to logically organize or pragmatically arrange them, and it follows whatever FEELS good, meaningful, fulfilling, inspiring, etc. i'm definitely an infj and the first four functions are right, i just want to know what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Yes they all stay in the same order. Though it may not seem that way in different periods of our lives.

Ages 0-10 Full focus on the first function--Ni
    10-20 Shift onto the Second, yet solidifying the first--intense focus on first function
    20-30 Shift onto the third, intense focus on the second
    30-40 Shift onto the last, and more focus on the third
    40-50 Intensify the focus on the inferior function

It is the order that makes a temperament, not the functions.
    I have seen this mentioned before. Is this proven somewhere. I would like to take a look.