User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. #21
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is it perhaps that you have nothing to categorize or clarify unless you gathered it from an external source, though?
    Now that would take using your Se or Ne function. Clearly, unlike Ni (which is the only cognitive function not needing external stimulus to ignite it's process)Ti and the other introverted cognitive functions must have some objective focus to kick in gear. For Si, it's recalling something instigates it to recall a past smell, experience or something in the past, for Ti to jump start analysis and for Fi something to jump start value based decisions. I am not too sure about the latter, but INFPs can maybe help on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That is the thing: Perhaps Ti is a process, just a cookbook describes processes... but unless you buy ingredients and inflict the process on them, the process is useless. It needs external items to act upon -- hence Ti must work in conjunction with SOME sort of externalized data-gathering function (and this is what I understood WC to be alluding to).
    I see your point, and I agree with what you are saying. However, once the external stimulus is in place, Ti can live on it's own, in lieu of additional stimulus. For example, once basic principles are understood, Ti can kick in to determine something meets the basic requirements. It does not need Ne or Se to do this. However, to modify or change the basic principles in place, Ne and/or Se needs to come back into play to redirect Ti.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The only difference I can imagine at the moment is that once Ti DOES get some external data to process, it can then generate new thoughts on its own, and evaluate THEM in turn, because it is conceptual in nature (it "thinks about thinking")... so it's almost like a perpetual motion machine once it is primed.
    Not necessarily generating new thoughts, but analyzing existing thoughts per the basic principles known. Otherwise, I would say you are using Ni to create new thoughts or having to use Ne to consider possibilities.

  2. #22
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Interesting theory, and a very good comparative analysis Uber.... however, I always thought that INTPs preferred preferred pure math.
    I used to teach math at a University (I have an M.S.). At least half of the Ph.D. math faculty there were INTP. The others were a fairly even mix of INTJ, ENTP and ENTJ. Now I work as an actuary and there are a lot more S's among the other actuaries. To reach the highest level of actuary, FSA, you basically have to study about as much as a Ph.D. would.

    I think one reason you find so many INTP math professors is that much of the research done in math is so theoretical and impractical that only INTP's are attracted to with the other types advancing some type of more applied research (which is less common). Although being NT does help with doing the research needed to get a Ph.D., the main reason I think you find almost no S's as university faculty is that they can be paid much better doing something else like actuary.

    As long as a person has some naturaly math aptitude I don't think it really matters if they are NT or ST. The most important thing that matters is having T with I usually being second most important (so you can do all that studying) and N being third. It doesn't matter if the T is Ti or Te. Both are good unless you are dealing with the most theoretical in which case you have the biggest advantage being INTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Interesting theory, and a very good comparative analysis Uber.... however, I always thought that INTPs preferred preferred pure math.
    Well, the only math that I know of is math to solve engineering and other practical problems.

    I honestly don't know how math is used beyond that.

    I always thought that INTPs would be more attracted to philosophy, but I'm thinking that philosophy is mainly a product of Intuition.

    I'm personally interested in architecture, but I'm more into the designing (Intuitive) aspect, not really the detailed engineering and mathematical stuff, partly because I'm not very good at math aside from 1+1=2 and whatnot.

    I suppose, though, you could say I'm into geometry, since my mind is more visual.

    I'm also good with statistics; ask me the stats on a roller coaster or a movie, and I can ramble on. I'm guessing that's a product of Te, though, since it's more organizational and not analytic.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
  2. [ENTJ] How do ENTJs become likeable and less threatening to others?
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 241
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
  3. [NF] Why do (if they do) INFJ's and INFP's like each other?
    By hopeseed in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO