• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

can Introverts ever beat Extroverts in being 'social' ?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
what do you think?
again, this is very much like the question of nature .vs. nurture,
but I just want to know your opinion (either from personal experiences, or some valid researches) on this matter.

Can Introverts people, if being 'pushed' by surrounding circumstances, or even by his/her own desire/motivation to become social (or, being more extrovert) , can ever become on par, or beat the Extroverts people?
i've heard that Introverts doesn't always mean shy, awkward-socially kind of folks, so my guess is, perhaps Introverts can change into being Extroverts, if given very hard discpline and time? or not?
what do you think?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
i've heard that Introverts doesn't always mean shy, awkward-socially kind of folks, so my guess is, perhaps Introverts can change into being Extroverts, if given very hard discpline and time? or not?

Is it just me, or does this not make any sense, put together?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Currently, I bet most introverts would kick my ass at being social.

I have been particularly hermit-like these past few months.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Is it just me, or does this not make any sense, put together?

There are some grammatical problems but I think it's pretty clear that she's (or he's) asking if introverts can be as socially effusive as extroverts.

G

Glycerine

They can act a lot like extroverts but they will never become extroverts, in the MBTI sense of the word. Sometimes I will be much more talkative a lot than some known Extroverts but I can't keep it up as long as most extroverts. It tends to be draining after awhile.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Introverts often try to be social dynamos, but they eventually break down from a combination of straining themselves and the realization that they can't do what they thought they could. I tried to warn them! Not really.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
absolutely..
There are some fun,friendly, sweet introverts
and some loud, obnoxious, bitchy extroverts.

Who's going to have more invites to the parties??

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
absolutely..
There are some fun,friendly, sweet introverts
and some loud, obnoxious, bitchy extroverts.

Who's going to have more invites to the parties??

But who's going to go to more of the parties that they actually get invited to ;)? May even itself out.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've had some pretty good runs at extroversion. Usually alcohol-infused I guess, but sometimes they would last days and in the absence of alcohol.

But there was a time when I was living with a bunch of friends in a big apartment, and everyone was doing a lot of xanax (an anxiety reducing drug) in that time period, and I carried on as somewhat of an extrovert for a while, and then I began to get tired of it VERY quickly. So I moved out and got my own place.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But who's going to go to more of the parties that they actually get invited to ;)? May even itself out.

Maybe but if you do some math, lets say over a 7 day period the introvert gets 5 invites to 5 different parties, and only goes to 2. Not quite half of the parties.

Now the extravert gets invited to only one. And goes to that one.
that's 100%.

Still, the introvert went to more parties in the end, and therefore, was more social this week.

(In other words, its all situational, I think.)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe but if you do some math, lets say over a 7 day period the introvert gets 5 invites to 5 different parties, and only goes to 2. Not quite half of the parties.

Now the extravert gets invited to only one. And goes to that one.
that's 100%.

Still, the introvert went to more parties in the end, and therefore, was more social this week.

(In other words, its all situational, I think.)

I was being a smartass, but yeah, it is situational. Although I think we could break it down further and say that the introvert went to two parties but only staid for one hour at each one, while the extrovert went to one party for the whole night and into the next day. Lol.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you can be an outgoing introvert though...right? i mean...it's just a difference of processing things externally or internally isn't it?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But in that hour, the introvert may have talked to 10 different people both times. (Since he's so friendly.)

and the extrovert talked to one for the entire night. (Everyone avoided him.)

:)

(can't resist attempting to out-smartass someone.)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
you can be an outgoing introvert though...right?
Yeah...The need isn't there though. Outgoing for a goal, yes--Such as getting a job or getting a date. Assertive, yes. Social dynamo, only for a week until they give up.

i mean...it's just a difference of processing things externally or internally isn't it?
If I gave you a helpful answer, Nocaps would accuse me of not telling the "whole story" again. Maybe I'll PM you.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
But in that hour, the introvert may have talked to 10 different people both times. (Since he's so friendly.)

and the extrovert talked to one for the entire night. (Everyone avoided him.)

:)

(can't resist attempting to out-smartass someone.)

But the introvert drank (to help loosen up) and became wasted...and his "talking" amounted to shouting obscenities at ten different people. The extrovert, OTOH, had one meaningful conversation with that one person.

Shall we carry this further?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the extravert most likely did not just talk to one person though...right? i mean...i never do that.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol! I'd love to but I guess we can leave it there.

In the end, the friendly, sweet introvert became belligerent and obscene, and the loud obnoxious extrovert had a deep meaningful conversation. Who woulda thought?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
the extravert most likely did not just talk to one person though...right? i mean...i never do that.

An extrovert would have to be pretty hated to only be able to talk to one person at a party. I've never seen it happen.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i'm pretty sure i have never done that...i don't even have to know anyone there...but i will by then end of the night.