• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using your dominant function in its opposite intended environment

G

garbage

Paraphrased and expanded from here...

In learning more about this typing stuff, a particular quote from Gifts Differing resonated pretty well with me:

"Introverts are reluctant to use the dominant process on the outer world more than necessary because of the predictable results. If the dominant process, which is the most adult and conscientious process, is used on outer things, it will involve the introverts in more extraversion than they can handle, and such involvement will cost them privacy and peace."

More and more, I've been figuring out that Te has been my absolute strongest trait. I can organize, categorize, systematize, and make things more efficient in the world around me.. and I'm pretty much never wrong in my approaches.

When the domain is flipped, there's a different story. While I can also apply Ti to analysis, problem solving, and taking ideas and concepts apart, I also tend to overanalyze when I'm left to my own devices.. which also might be a function of "T" being applied where it shouldn't. This has led to anxiety and even depression as my introspective thought processes have spiraled out of control and drawn incorrect conclusions. This could have been "more introversion" than I can handle.

So, I'm wondering.. has anyone had any experiences where their dominant function applied to the opposite domain (inward for extraverts, outward for introverts) has caused them problems? How else do you use your dominant function in the opposite domain, for good and for bad?

This could be extended to the auxiliary function, or how any of your underdeveloped functions may have misdirected you at times.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i would look into function orientation before worrying about this considering you dont use Ti. your functions would be Te, Ni, Se, Fi. this doesn't mean you cant use Te like Ti though.

to answer your question: no, i have never had any experiences where my dominant function applied to the opposite domain has caused problems, mostly because they have never switched.

G

garbage

i would look into function orientation before worrying about this considering you dont use Ti. your functions would be Te, Ni, Se, Fi. this doesn't mean you cant use Te like Ti though.

Oh, I know my function ordering.. but I thought that one of the basic premises was that everyone had access to all of the functions, but that some are just much more developed and natural than others. Am I misunderstanding?

Regardless, I think the point of the thread still stands. Even if it's taken as "using Te like Ti" well, then, problems arise when trying to use Te like Ti instead of just plain using Ti.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
well i dont wanna go to far into it because im sure if i state my personal opinion ill start an abnormally large and strenuous debate but...

in your case your first four functions (which are the only relevant onces imho) would be as i stated above. after that they would be, like you stated Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, but these aren't accessible. just the fact that Fi is hard for you access (and really its only manifested indirectly) should lend to this argument. but what people get caught up on is when they see "Ti" like qualities being manifested and claim "OH look Ti, that discredits function order" (<- severe paraphrase). what that is, imho, is Te and Ni "communicating" together very well. this creates a "synthetic" version of Ti, which really is just Te and Ni working together. but this is looking into it waaaaay too much.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Flipping across the i/e dimension does not cause me discomfort. I just tend to be more limited in its use perhaps due to the unfamiliarity. For example Ni is my dominant, which means I have a tendency to construct models in my head for testing and play with various aspects of different things to see if I can link them up in some ways or other. With Ne, I'm less skilled with its uses. Mostly I'm limited to spotting visual patterns and to see how they can be applied for other things. The process is slower than Ni. I also have to sort of "unfocus" my attention in order to see things if that makes any sense.