• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology and Us

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Gee...okay so...how about the people who think it is all BS would make a chart like Thursday or me linked above and we see what comes out? Nobody ever took that chance.

I am not sure why people think that the Planet or the Stars make you how you are. This is more a tendency thing. And funny is, that this thing works pretty well. Probably we have to divide here: there is the BS Astrology that you read in the newspaper each day, and there is the real Astrology.
The BS thing is that stuff you read in the newspaper. That is often sooo very off because people writing those things look at ONE "random" Zodiac Sign only, which almost never works.
Then there is the real Astrology thing, where you have to put in your birthdate, the coordinates and the time. That is very individual and fits to around 90% minimum. But again, this just works because people have been studying Planets for Centuries. They studied - let's say - people who are Cancers and found out "Okay, they often are like this, this and that". They found stuff in common. Also the Planets always had certain meanings for people, like Jupiter for example, who is said is the "Planet of luck and success". So the scientists put it together. It's not the other way round like some of you seem to think. =/

What I also don't exactly get is how some people would think of persons who consider Astrology a useful tool. I mean it's not that I go around and type everything with Astrology, tho it is always interesting how good it works. For me personally Astrology is a possibility to understand people better, just like MBTI or any other science. So agaaaaain: Chill-Pills, dudes! :shock:
If you'd read my personal chart you could really recognize me. It is pretty accurate. It's always stunning again.

Oh and let's not forget your personal influence on all this: you might be typed as Sagittarius or if we take MBTI INTJ or whatever, but that doesn't mean you are stuck with it. You can work on yourself and on things you don't like about you. So in the end you might still be a "whatever", but the profile won't fit you to 100% anymore.
Those things are really helping tools only, not "life-religions". Because in my personal opinion it is THEN when it gets dangerous and "stupid".

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nightning, I said not causal. And two people born at the same time in the same place will have similar motivations because they have the same chart. I've seen it happen. I haven't found astrology to be any more vague than MBTI, actually less vague. Reading computerized interpretations is not the same as doing it yourself. But I think we can agree to disagree.

redacted

Then there is the real Astrology thing, where you have to put in your birthdate, the coordinates and the time. That is very individual and fits to around 90% minimum. But again, this just works because people have been studying Planets for Centuries. They studied - let's say - people who are Cancers and found out "Okay, they often are like this, this and that". They found stuff in common. Also the Planets always had certain meanings for people, like Jupiter for example, who is said is the "Planet of luck and success". So the scientists put it together. It's not the other way round like some of you seem to think. =/

Why would there be a 90% correlation between positions of planets and personalities, that differ at arbitrary times of year? That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you'd read my personal chart you could really recognize me. It is pretty accurate. It's always stunning again.

Forer effect.

Oh and let's not forget your personal influence on all this: you might be typed as Sagittarius or if we take MBTI INTJ or whatever, but that doesn't mean you are stuck with it.

No; there's an entirely different kind of logic behind MBTI and astrology. With astrology, you type in things that you have absolutely no conscious control over, like where/when you were born. And out comes your personality! Input random variable x, output random variable y.

With MBTI, you input THINGS ABOUT YOUR PERSONALITY to see how closely you relate to certain groupings of personality. So you input data about your personality, and you get an output of how that set of traits relates to the same data from the rest of the population.

If you put an apple in a machine, you're never gonna end up with relevant information about pineapple at the other end. At least with MBTI, you put a pineapple in the machine and expect some data on your pineapple out the other end.

nightning, I said not causal. And two people born at the same time in the same place will have similar motivations because they have the same chart. I've seen it happen. I haven't found astrology to be any more vague than MBTI, actually less vague. Reading computerized interpretations is not the same as doing it yourself. But I think we can agree to disagree.

Really? I've seen it not happen...

You really want to make the argument that all the babies carried out of your hospital the day you were born share all of your astrological personality traits?

Negative_

When it says things like "Venus in Scorpio" and goes on to explain what that is, does that mean you're only like that when 'venus is in scorpio', or is it an addition to your overall personality?

just curious.

here's my chart thingy.
i skimmed through the personality description and it didn't seem all that accurate.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well, if you don't mind, just for my own curiosity, I would like it if you'd say whether or not you have ever actually studied astrology, made a chart and tried to read it.

Then I'd be happy to leave it at that.

Alright, I did, and it was almost entirely wrong.

Generated the chart linked in the OP, that is, I didn't study astrology.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well, if you don't mind, just for my own curiosity, I would like it if you'd say whether or not you have ever actually studied astrology, made a chart and tried to read it.

Then I'd be happy to leave it at that.

I have... there's been a thread on this forum asking people to post up their charts and to judge whether it's accurate in any way or not. I found mine to be contradictory even in itself. Just to humor you all... I've just did it again.

I'll highlight the inconsistencies for you despite the huge long winded "report".

Birth Chart

This birth chart report shows the positions of the planets for Night .

The Sun represents vitality, a sense of individuality and outward-shining creative energy.

Sun in Scorpio

Scorpios are known for their intensity. They are determined folk that absolutely throw themselves into whatever they do -- but getting them to commit to something is rarely an easy task. In fact, it's better not to even try to "get them" to do anything. Solar Scorpios absolutely have their own mind. And, their primary motivation is unlikely to be prestige (like their Capricorn friends), or even authority (Leos can have that, too)--it's real power. Their power can absolutely be of the "behind the scenes" variety, just as long as they have it.

To others, Scorpios seem to have plenty of willpower. They probably do. Scorpios do know what they want, and they won't go out and grab it at the wrong moment. They simply sit back, watch (quite expertly), and then get it only when the moment is just right. This apparent patience is simply their powerful skills at strategy at work. Scorpio isn't afraid of getting their hands (their bodies, their minds) dirty. The darker side of life intrigues them, and they're always ready to investigate.

Scorpios simply never give up. They have tremendous staying power. They're not in the slightest intimidated by anybody or anything. Confrontations are not a problem. In fact, talk to any Scorpio about their lives, and you'll probably be in awe at all they've gone through. Trauma seems to follow them wherever they go. When Scorpio learns optimism, instead of expecting the worst, they'll find that they possess amazing regenerative powers -- the power to heal, create, and transform.

Short description:

Physical energy and courage. Strong passions. Regeneration and improvement. Strong sexual powers.

Weaknesses: She is suspicious, defiant, extremist: she is sometimes vindictive. How can you be an open-minded extremist?

Scorpio ascendant Aquarius

Sun in IX

You have a deep need to understand the world around you. You have high ideals and you have your eye on what's on the horizon. You are looking ahead, and at times can seem quite restless. You are proud of your knowledge and of your morals. Be sure to avoid self-righteousness in your enthusiasm to share your knowledge. When used correctly, you are a tolerant, adventurous, and curious person, and you want to see the best in people and in life.

115 Sextile Sun - Jupiter

Endowed with generosity and friendliness, Again, friendly and suspicious? in some ways you appear to be lucky in life. You attract good things with a positive frame of mind and a charitable disposition. Rarely entirely "down and out", you are usually well-received, helpful, and well-informed. You may enjoy travel and have a special affection for foreign places and people. You're generally not very competitive, and for the most part not combative either. Ummm strong passions? Confrontational Scorpio? As a result, you are usually well-liked. You are usually good-hearted, possessing strong morals and much faith in life and in people. You prefer to find the good in situations and in people. You don't have a lot of patience with those who break the rules, as you generally believe in order, equality, and the law. You usually make good on your promises, and the sincerity you exude can be trusted. Looking on the bright side is your forte--people can turn to you for a pleasing dose of faith and optimism. You are quick to chuckle and can't resist any appeal to your sense of humor. Some people with this aspect are downright jolly. Others are less conspicuous, but their faith in life and willingness to find humor in life are nevertheless obvious.

34 Conjunction Sun - Saturn

It is easy and natural for you to accept responsibilities, to lead a rather ordered life, and to apply caution in your financial and business dealings. You rarely jump to conclusions or take uneducated risks. You have a certain amount of patience and enough self-discipline to slowly but surely achieve what you set out to do. Although somewhat undemonstrative, you are generally loyal and responsible people to those you care about. You take your time in most endeavors and generally use a step-by-step approach to most projects--but you steadily reach your goals. You are naturally trustworthy, and you don't have much patience for those who don't show respect for others, who take foolish risks, and who lead disorganized lives.

158 Conjunction Sun - Pluto

You have much sexual vitality and passion. It is easy and natural for you to find a passion and pursue it, and to focus on a goal. You are not much scared of anything. You enjoy and embrace growth, especially of the psychological kind. You love a good mystery, and you are adept at solving it.You readily assign meaning to what others might consider "ordinary" events. You look for symbols, and read between the lines in most any situation. The physical vitality is generally strong, and the body is usually able to heal quickly. You are not afraid to get your hands dirty, and you are usually quick to help others--not only with mundane tasks, but also on a spiritual or psychological level. Your insight is sharp and sometimes awe-inspiring. You are perceptive and not easily rattled or surprised in life. You are not a do-gooder nor are you a law-breaker. It just told me earlier I'm suppose to like helping people and that's why I'm well-liked? *shakes head*However, you are not afraid of the "dark side" of human nature, and you will bend the rules from time to time if you feel the need to do so. You take particular pleasure in growth and life's lessons. You are not fond of superficiality, and are generally the first to spot pretense of any kind. You are passionate and can be intense. You have a hunger to experience more than just an "ordinary" life, and you can be quite ambitious. Another flip flop saying I'm competitive. Make up your mind? Some people with this aspect are perfectionists, demanding much from themselves and reasonable amounts of effort and honesty from others.

The Moon represents the emotional responses, unconscious pre-destination, and the self-image.

Moon in Aquarius

Moon in Aquarius people are extremely observant. They are life-time students of human nature, loving to analyze why people do what they do. This often stems from a detached--even shy--personality, especially in youth. Whether due to character or conditioning, Moon in Aquarius people often grow up feeling "different". Although rather sociable, they are often loners at heart. Many have strong egos, or at least powerful defense mechanisms, and most Lunar Aquarians will do their best to be the most unique and unusual person they can be. Their inner feeling of loneliness--that they don't quite fit in--puts them on the outside, looking in. There is a very idealistic and progressive streak in Lunar Aquarians that is admirable indeed. However, when the Moon is in Aquarius, natives often will deny the more irrational qualities of emotions--such as jealousy, possessiveness, and fear--in an effort to be "above" what they consider "pettiness". When this goes too far, Lunar Aquarians can be emotionally blocked, distant, and detached.

Lunar Aquarians can be very willful, especially in childhood. With age, these natives generally learn to handle their strong needs. Their desire for independence is powerful indeed, no matter what their age. With a quiet Sun and/or Ascendant, their desire to "shock" others is not always apparent until a relationship becomes comfortable. They are generally proud of their family members, boasting just how unique they are. When their families are ultra-conservative, the boast will be that they rebelled against all of that!

Although given to temper tantrums and willful behavior in youth, Moon in Aquarius people often grow up feeling that messy emotions are unappealing. They often pride themselves for being cool-headed, detached, and "above" what they consider the more base emotions. I'm suppose to feel strongly/be passionate yet at the same time be cool-headed and detached? In the process, they can end up alienating others--and themselves. Although Lunar Aquarians can be especially adept at understanding others' behavior and motivations, they can lose touch with their own--simply because they have identified too strongly with what they aspire to be (and these aspirations are often super-human). The Aquarian tendency to be humanitarian shows up powerfully in Moon in Aquarius. However, their kindness and concern for others is generally more a broad philosophy of life. The previous paragraph said I'm not a go-doer. With people close to them, Moon in Aquarius natives can seemingly lack compassion, as they often fully expect others to be as independent and detached as they are! In close, personal relationships, however, Lunar Aquarians generally give others a lot of personal freedom, and they will tolerate and enjoy all kinds of idiosyncrasies in people around them.[/COLOR]

Moon in Aquarius people are rarely flighty people, but they can be unreliable when it concerns the little things in life. Often, this is simply an assertion of their independence. In the long haul, however, they are rather constant, as Aquarius is a fixed sign. As long as they have their own space and the freedom to be themselves, however kooky that may be, they are trustworthy and loyal. Lunar Aquarians generally make wonderful friends. They'll make a point of leaving nobody on the outside. Many will fight for other's rights and crusade for equality. What may be surprising is that Moon in Aquarius people have a lot of pride. In fact, when they've been attacked in any way (especially regarding their character), they can become very inflexible and cool. It can be difficult to know just how sensitive to criticism Lunar Aquarians are, simply because they hide it so well! When their character or behavior has been criticized, they tend to dig in their heels and keep right on doing it. They fully expect others to accept them exactly as they are, or they don't have much use for them in their lives. These sometimes maddeningly unpredictable people are nevertheless quite charming. They have an unmistakable stubborn streak, but when left to be themselves, they make unusual and endlessly interesting people to be around. Life just wouldn't be the same without Lunar Aquarians' unusual spin on the world and the people in it!

Short description:

She is sociable, intelligent and lucid. Thanks to great sociability, she has many friends. She is modern, original, inventive, non-conformist and brings new life to everything she does.

Weaknesses: she is eccentric, with sharp mood swings. Complex love life.

Moon in I

Very sensitive. Fantasizes. She is easily frightened, she is fearful, shy, prudent and emotional.

-21 Square Moon - Mercury

There is a conflict here between the head and the heart. Your emotions tell you one thing and your mind tells you something else. The result is a see-saw effect: you can be emotional to the point of irrationality at one moment, and logical the next. How to blend the head and the heart is a constant struggle for you, usually because you have a tendency to resist blending them! You love to chat, enjoy story-telling and writing/poetry, sometimes enjoy bending the truth, and you possess a sparkling wit! You are animated when you speak, and have a sense of humor that others appreciate simply because it's very imaginative. You may be especially adept at satire. People can usually read your mood by how much you're talking. When nervous or excitable, you talk up a storm. Moodiness is a characteristic, definitely, and an especially subjective nature makes you prone to hypersensitivity. It usually has to do with the fact that you take in so very much from your environment. This is also one of the reasons why you tend to be indecisive. I know what I want but am indecisive. Very nice... You may swing between irrational and rational thoughts and feelings. It's pretty much something that takes place "upstairs" in the mind, although others are sure to see the struggle from time to time. You are always interesting, and usually funny. You have a tendency to misrepresent yourself with what you say from time to time, but you're a charming, if a little kooky, friend.

193 Sextile Moon - Neptune

Positive aspect: She is kind and sympathetic, with a strongly compassionate nature. When in love, she is usually very devoted. In fact, she is devoted by nature, not only in matters of the heart.

85 Trine Moon - Pluto

She wavers between a rich and successful domestic life and social success. She has difficulty in succeeding in both. Very perceptive and given to psychoanalyzing people. A strategist. Powerful emotions and intense feelings.

192 Conjunction Moon - Ascendant

She has a good influence on the family, which loves and helps the person. She likes travelling, movement, change. She likes contact and is open to other people. It told me I'm "secretive" now this?

-12 Square Moon - Midheaven

She has an irresolute nature, with sudden changes of humor. She is unstable and does not follow through on her own objectives. This instability shows itself not only in professional life but also in love life and friendships.

Mercury represents communication, Cartesian and logical spirit.

Mercury in Scorpio

She is extremely observant and astute, always reading between the lines and looking for the real meaning behind things. Passionate in speech, excellent at strategy. Natural psychologist.

Mercury in IX

Her thirst for knowledge is never satisfied. She is full of mental activity. She undertakes exhaustive studies, always studying for pleasure. Likes journeys to faraway places, and can go to live abroad.

28 Sextile Mercury - Mars

She likes to discuss, likes polemic. She has good judgement and is determined. She is a worker and has lots of energy. She has a lively intelligence and goes to the heart of things.

207 Conjunction Mercury - Saturn

-72 Square Mercury - Ascendant

She likes to criticize, to gossip. Frequently arguing, she is nervous but also disturbed. She looks out too much for a verbal battle, and is provoking.

Venus represents an interest for emotions and values, exchange and sharing with others.

Venus in Sagittarius

When Venus in Sagittarius people are in love, they need to feel they can grow and expand their horizons through their relationship. They want to learn new things, and experience everything together. These are idealistic lovers who want you to appreciate their beliefs, visions, and ideals. They can be a confusing mix of the lighthearted and serious. They are roamers and seekers, and don't commit in their relationships as easily as others. Venus in Sagittarius men and women turn others on with their big smiles and laughs, their jokes, their grand schemes, their dreams, and their friendly, flirtatious behavior. They pride themselves on their open minds, but you may notice they can be judgmental too. They are threatened by inhibitions on the part of their lover, dullness, and emotional overkill. They are restless, and won't put up with lovers who dwell on any one thing. When the going gets tough in their relationship, they have an overwhelming need to run away. Usually this only means getting out and experiencing something new before they come back, but sometimes it can be for good. They are attracted to people in love with life. You don't need to be refined, polished, or graceful to win their favor.

Pleasing Venus in Sagittarius involves allowing them lots of room in the relationship to grow. Avoid getting stuck in a rut, and understand their need to move on. Learn to laugh, but take their rants and raves seriously. Avoid criticizing their beliefs, join them in debates, and philosophize along with them. When they feel the need for more experience, join them! Learn to look past their clumsiness with you and your feelings, and avoid cornering them or forcing them to commit.

Venus in X

Her best years are in the parental home and also the last years of life. That said, the rest are not unhappy, but contain certain hurdles. Love can help in professional life, she has a gift for seduction. She likes to entertain: she likes comfort and the attractions of home-life.

241 Conjunction Venus - Uranus

independent in love. Her love life is rich, but with passing love affairs. She tires quickly and is scared of losing her liberty. If she marries, she will regret it. She has that little something that attracts the opposite sex: she likes amorous adventures, she is romantic. She is the eternal lover and, of course, is unfaithful if she has a serious relationship. She likes art, anything new.

Mars represents the desire for action and physical energy.

Mars in Capricorn

With fiery Mars in the more orderly sign of Capricorn, natives with this position have a subdued and controlled style of approaching life. Most don't come across as particularly enthusiastic; rather, theirs is a low-key but determined energy. Mars in Capricorn natives like to be on top of things. They are generally goal-oriented and focused people who are not afraid of hard work. Most are achievers by nature, and many possess well-defined ambitions--well-defined to themselves more than anything. They're not particularly flashy people, but their drive to succeed and to make their lives secure is strong, even if it's not right out there for the world to see. Anger is expressed in a rather cool, level-headed way with this position of Mars. Self-control is strong when it comes to expressing anger, drive, energy, and sexuality. Capricorn is a sign that detests waste of any kind. It also fears disorderliness and "letting go". With Mars in Capricorn, there is generally a powerful need to stay in control.

This is not to say that natives of this position are cold in any sense of the word. Their desires are strong, but they are often centered around the physical and material world--all that can be seen and held. With Mars in an Earth sign, sensuality is expressed in an earthy way. However, unlike Mars in Taurus, for example, (another earth sign), Mars in Capricorn is not self-indulgent by nature. These people are usually quite disciplined. Capricorn possesses the ability to plan for the future--something that many other signs have difficulty doing. Mars in Capricorn natives are working toward realistic and attainable goals. They are productive people who get off when they see tangible results from their efforts. Many natives with this position are a little hard on themselves, and sometimes others. They usually can be relied upon because they have an innate sense of responsibility to both themselves and to those they care about. Most of them are very hard-working, and one of their strategies for anger management is to throw themselves even more energetically into their work!

Mars in XI

She achieves her ambitions. She is impulsive and presses on without thinking. She starts something new without necessarily finishing the last job. She likes to dominate and lacks diplomacy where friends and professional relations are concerned.

131 Sextile Mars - Saturn

She is energetic and determined. She has strength and resistance, ability and patience: she is tough, and sometimes insensitive, and puts all her energy and talents into overcoming all the obstacles to her success. She is obstinate, calculating, does not take on anything without having thought of all the possible consequences, she can take all the time in the world and never loses patience to achieve her objectives. She is not particularly popular in her circle, but is feared and respected.

Jupiter represents expansion and grace.

Jupiter in Capricorn

She attracts the most good fortune when she organizes and directs, conducts herself with integrity, is ethical, and mature.

Jupiter in XI

She is cooperative, organizes everyone. She climbs the social ladder thanks to help from friends and acquaintances who are chosen, not for their qualities, but for the advantages they can bring. She achieves her objectives.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Cont. of "report"

5 Conjunction Jupiter - Neptune

She is very generous and altruistic, helping people in difficulty or sick people. Not a do-goer indeed. She knows how to listen or, at least, how to give that impression. She is a dreamer, with lots of imagination: she likes the Arts.

Saturn represents contraction and effort.

Saturn in Scorpio

Observant, self-controlled, unforgiving, tough, methodical, a researcher, an investigator. Lots of courage, self-assurance and can keep her cool.

Weaknesses: makes no concessions or compromises. She can become a fanatic of a creed, a party, work or a religion.

Saturn in IX

She is studious, patient, rigorous, austere. She likes reflection, meditation. She carries out all the plans she makes. She is a stay-at-home.

Uranus represents individual liberty, egoistic liberty.

Uranus in Sagittarius

She is shy, delicate but proud, bold and lively.

Uranus in X

She must have an independent career, with no routine, which satisfies her need to move around, travel and which must in particular have an element of risk attached. I thought I'm not suppose to like risk taking? She is eccentric.

28 Conjunction Uranus - Midheaven

She must have a job that allows her complete freedom, something non-routine. She likes change, has a lot of energy and knows how to influence others in spite of her originality.

Neptune represents transcendental liberty, non-egoistic liberty.

Neptune in Sagittarius

Likes long voyages, things foreign, water.

Neptune in XI

Friendships are unselfish, and often wants to belong to a group of like-minded people.

23 Sextile Neptune - Pluto

Pluto represents transformations, mutations and elimination.

Pluto in Scorpio

Great sexual activity.

House I is the area of self identity. The ascendant is a symbol of how one acts in life. It is the image of the personality as seen by others, and the attitude that one has towards life.

Scorpio ascendant Aquarius

Ascendant in Aquarius

How unique and original Aquarius rising natives come across! These individuals are just that -- individuals, and they won't let you forget that fact. Often turned to for advice, these natives possess intellectual poise and savvy. They often are curious, and quite learned, in both science and metaphysics--anything that involves advancement of the human race holds much appeal. It's hard to shock an Aquarius rising. They've seen it all, or at least want you to think they have. In fact, they often enjoy shocking others. Not that they are flamboyant by nature, but they do like to, albeit quietly, get a rise out of others. Some natives born with Aquarius on their Ascendant can be quietly provocative and irreverent. Most people with this Ascendant are quite friendly and likable. Their personality quirks generally go over quite well with others. They generally give others quite a bit of freedom--accepting, as a rule, people from all walks of life as equals. And, their somewhat cool and detached curiosity about all that goes on around them appeals to most.

Curiously, Aquarius rising people can be a little standoffish while also coming across as humanitarian and kind. Often labeled as independent and original children, Aquarius rising natives often feel a little "different" or "special" throughout life. They often feel like they are on the outside looking in, and their ability to observe and deduce is often uncanny. They're also adept at getting things to work, even when the parts that make up the whole seem like a puzzle with unusual pieces--especially when it comes to groups of people. This sets them apart as managers and team leaders. The Ascendant often reveals physical mannerisms and even choice of dress, as it shows how people present themselves to the world. With Aquarius here, natives sometimes have a quirkiness to their manner, and some dress in a slightly offbeat manner--not enough to make them stand out like a sore thumb, but just enough to express their original temperament.

Because these people seem so open to new ideas, it may be surprising when you encounter their decidedly stubborn streak. Aquarius is a fixed sign, after all. The ascendant sign shows how individuals react to new situations, and with Aquarius rising, there can be a resistance to change that seems to belie the native's generally progressive nature. There's a distinct inflexibility with Aquarian rising people, and, sometimes, a tendency to want to force their opinions on others. With their eye to the future of mankind as a whole, some people born with an Aquarius Ascendant overlook the more personal needs of the people closest to them. They are often attracted to partners who possess self-confidence and ardor.

House II is the area of material security and values. It rules money and personal finances, sense of self-worth and basic values, personal possessions.

House II in Aries

Financial success is more likely when she uses her entrepreneurial spirit. However, impulsive spending is likely. Won't ask for money, wants to be self-made. Doesn't receive much financial help.

House III is the area of social and intellectual learning.

House III in Taurus

One is never better than when at home. Not much travelling or taking of a sudden or unexamined initiative. When travel occurs, it is to comfortable and familiar areas. A direct contradiction to what's repeated so often about. So am I suppose to enjoy travelling or not? Everything is calculated and deliberate: the motto is "slowly but surely".

House IV is the area of home, family, roots, and deep emotions/sense of self-worth.

House IV in Gemini

Impossible to stay in one place, frequently changes home. If the job is monotonous, she will often change firm. The ideal profession would be one offering a lot of change, moving around, meeting lots of new people. An equally erratic love life is to be expected.

House V is the area of creative self-expression, romance, entertainment, children, and gambling.

House V in Gemini

Likes to please: She can spend hours in the bathroom, preparing to go out, in the hope of meeting someone to dazzle. Likes interminable discussions with friends.

House VI is the area of learning by material transaction.

House VI in Cancer

Likes jobs in contact with the public. Weak point: the stomach.

House VII is the area of one-to-one relationships such as marriage and partnership, and of social and intellectual action.

House VII in Leo

Marriage for love, based on confidence, honesty, sincerity.

House VIII is the area of emotional security and of security of the soul.

House VIII in Libra

Happy old age, natural death.

House IX is the area of learning that shapes the identity.

House IX in Scorpio

Likes long voyages, especially by sea. Might participate in regattas, likes risk, sport.

House X is the area of material action. The Mid-heaven represents the work one will do in his life, the place one will take in the world of society. It becomes more important as one grows older

House X in Sagittarius

Job involving travel, especially abroad, and if possible with some risk attached. One of the professions.

House XI is the area of search for social and intellectual security.

House XI in Sagittarius

Loves above all travel, adventure and friends are often from abroad.

House XII is the area of education and of emotion.

House XII in Capricorn

Disappointments are difficult to digest, the bitterness can last a long time before she is able to react positively.

My god! I can't believe I've spent that much time humoring people...

Mole

Permabanned
Why is it that not one, not one astronomer in the whole world believes in astrology?

redacted

Why is it that not one, not one astronomer in the whole world believes in astrology?

Lol.

I bet there's a least one, but they're probably pretty insane.

Remember, even Newton lost his marbles.

Mole

Permabanned
Lol.

I bet there's a least one, but they're probably pretty insane.

Remember, even Newton lost his marbles.

I regularly ask members of the Astronomy Department about astrology.

Those with a sense of humour laugh at me.

And those who are more serious explain to me why astrology is a superstition.

redacted

I regularly ask members of the Astronomy Department about astrology.

Those with a sense of humour laugh at me.

And those who are more serious explain to me why astrology is a superstition.

I agree with you there, but you're making that analogous to a psychometrician's relationship with MBTI, which is completely non-parallel.

Mole

Permabanned
Go ahead and support your point, Victor, because it's obviously not true.

Asserting it doesn't help anyone.

By all means put it to the test.

Ring the Psychology Department of your local University and ask to speak to a fully qualified psychometrician.

And put the question to them.

I know what the answer will be because I have done exactly this.

Why don't you?

Or do you wish to maintain you superstitious belief in MBTI in spite of the evidence?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
And this gives us an insight into MBTI.

And just a no astronomer believes in astrology, no psychometrician believes in MBTI.

Now victor... you need to be more specific that than. Broad generalization doesn't get you anywhere with these folks. Believe me I tried... they'll just say astronomers haven't studied astrology so how can they tell?

As to the psychometricians, they seek to describe perception using quantitative measurements, since MBTI is never quantitative it doesn't suit their purpose. Also in some ways MBTI is not falsifiable. Hence it doesn't belong in science. Does typology really exist? I'm not sure, but the model itself is useful in making predictions and so I use it. In other words, the "what" matters, but not the "why".

redacted

By all means put it to the test.

Ring the Psychology Department of your local University and ask to speak to a fully qualified psychometrician.

And put the question to them.

I know what the answer will be because I have done exactly this.

Why don't you?

Or do you wish to maintain you superstitious belief in MBTI in spite of the evidence?

Actually, I have talked to professors in the Psychology department at UC Berkeley about MBTI. As long as it's not mis- or over applied, it's a good framework tool. That is all.

It's not a predictive tool. You seem to assume that everyone that uses MBTI makes incorrect inductive leaps all the time. In fact, it's much like calling someone "realistic" or "good at impersonal reasoning", etc.

Do you not notice traits in people and have a desire to state them?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Actually, I have talked to professors in the Psychology department at UC Berkeley about MBTI. As long as it's not mis- or over applied, it's a good framework tool. That is all.

It's not a predictive tool. You seem to assume that everyone that uses MBTI makes incorrect inductive leaps all the time. In fact, it's much like calling someone "realistic" or "good at impersonal reasoning", etc.

Do you not notice traits in people and have a desire to state them?

The premise behind applied MBTI is predictive. People of specific type are likely to behave in a certain manner and thus you should be aware of. Agree with you that you're not saying person A will do this because they're so and so type.

Mole

Permabanned
Now victor... you need to be more specific that than. Broad generalization doesn't get you anywhere with these folks. Believe me I tried... they'll just say astronomers haven't studied astrology so how can they tell?

As to the psychometricians, they seek to describe perception using quantitative measurements, since MBTI is never quantitative it doesn't suit their purpose. Also in some ways MBTI is not falsifiable. Hence it doesn't belong in science. Does typology really exist? I'm not sure, but the model itself is useful in making predictions and so I use it. In other words, the "what" matters, but not the "why".

I have had this argument many times and after a while it becomes circular.

The fact is you can study psychometrics and find out why MBTI is an invalid and unreliable personality test or you can ask a qualified psychometrician.

MBTI is followed for exactly the same reason astrology is followed. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the evidence.

MBTI is world wide cult for narcissists just like astrology.

MBTI is pseudo science. It only pretends to be science with an interest in evidence.

MBTI is part of the New Age Movement - it has no more validity than homeopathy.

MBTI is simply a belief system.

And of course I support freedom of belief. But I draw the line when it pretends to be science.

Look, the candidate for Vice-President of the United States of America openly believed in the pseudo science of Creationism.

So why not MBTI?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

The fact is you can study psychometrics and find out why MBTI is an invalid and unreliable personality test or you can ask a qualified psychometrician.

MBTI is followed for exactly the same reason astrology is followed. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the evidence.

MBTI is pseudo science. It only pretends to be science with an interest in evidence.

And of course I support freedom of belief. But I draw the line when it pretends to be science.

Look, the candidate for Vice-President of the United States of America openly believed in the pseudo science of Creationism.

So why not MBTI?
I know why they consider it as pseudoscience. It's because it's unfalsifiable. I do study psychology. Is it a belief system? Only if you call a categorical system as a belief system. It's not the same as what astrology is claiming though. Arbitrary dividing something into groups is one thing, assuming there's a correlation between one pattern with another is another.

Edit:
The next thing that'll probably come up is am I a hypocrite? Perhaps, perhaps not. There are different degrees of pseudoscience. MBTI and say palmistry are less of an offender than astrology. I find MBTI and palmistry as being "interesting". Are they valid? Not in the quantifiable sense. Are they any different than astrology? In my mind they are. There's possible explanations for why these patterns exists... that cannot be said for astrology.

redacted

So why not MBTI?

Not everyone who uses the MBTI uses it in a pseudo-scientific way. It's a STATISTICAL tool. It's easily overapplied, but it's not by definition overapplied. Astrology IS by definition overapplied.

The point is to figure out how to use it in a statistically valid way, and use it no more often than that.

Even if you have an argument against that, I'd like to hear an argument against this:
It's easier to say 'N' than "a person who tends to use inductive reasoning/imagination/metaphor more often than most". Right?
It's easier to say 'NJ' than "a person who tends to use metaphors in a linear thought process"
It's easier to say 'NP' than "a person who tends to use metaphors about many different topics, regardless of personal relevance".

Worst case, this language acts as extremely efficient verbal shortcuts.