User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Default Q: Dominant third or inferior

A question. Are there people that use the third or inferior function of their personality (sub)dominantly and would that be called something else than introversion or extraversion?
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    A question. Are there people that use the third or inferior function of their personality (sub)dominantly and would that be called something else than introversion or extraversion?
    The third and fourth functions are used in whatever quadrant they're assigned to.

To those traditionally called Introverts (i.e., the primary is an introverted function = Xi rather than Xe), the third function will also be introverted, Yi, and the inferior is extroverted, Ze.

For extroverts, the tertiary is extroverted and the inferior is introverted.

(Was that your question?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The third and fourth functions are used in whatever quadrant they're assigned to.

To those traditionally called Introverts (i.e., the primary is an introverted function = Xi rather than Xe), the third function will also be introverted, Yi, and the inferior is extroverted, Ze.

For extroverts, the tertiary is extroverted and the inferior is introverted.

(Was that your question?)
    thanks Jennifer - I think I'm understanding this better now (I havent done that much reading around mbti) So INFP is introverted feeling extroverted intuition, extrovertd sensing and introverted thinking?:confused:
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    thanks Jennifer - I think I'm understanding this better now (I havent done that much reading around mbti) So INFP is introverted feeling extroverted intuition, extrovertd sensing and introverted thinking?:confused:

No, the last two are wrong. Should be:
    Fi + Ne + Si + Te

Basically your two perceiving functions (S and N) and your two judging functions (F and T) have to be aimed in opposite directions to the other in the pair, otherwise they'd naturally conflict.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

thanks - i will know what folk are going on about now!
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

No that wasn't my question... Well you helped bronte at least

What I meant was hypothetically what if someone, say INTP, uses (in that case) Si or Fe in an almost dominant fashion.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

No that wasn't my question... Well you helped bronte at least

What I meant was hypothetically what if someone, say INTP, uses (in that case) Si or Fe in an almost dominant fashion.
    i would say no. the Si will be more of a "novelty" or a "tool" if developed well enough and Fe is unconscious so it doesn't manifest itself directly.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

You can develop a good use of your tertiary and your inferior... but it'll likely never be as good /automatic as your dominant or auxiliary function. For example my inferior function is Se. I'm good at spotting birds and squirrels and what not when I pay attention to my surroundings, but my attention isn't automatic. If I got something else on my mind, I'll likely miss a car coming my way and just step out into traffic.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Are 3rd and 4th really that weak?

If the 3rd and 4th functions are already that difficult to use, where does that leave 5th through 8th? Never seen except under extreme stress? (according to theory)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would say that in some cases, the 3rd or 4th can be used more than the auxiliary due to unusual development... but this does not change the person's basic type, only the expression of it, IMO.

I think it's possible to use 3rd or 4th (and maybe in some rare cases, 5th or 6th) in an almost auxiliary fashion, but not an almost dominant fashion. I believe the dominant has a more unique role in defining the psyche's nature than the other functions.

For instance... an INTP could behave more Ti-Si (which can make them look ISTx-ish or Ti-Fe (which can look IxFJ-ish) than Ti-Ne at times. An INFJ could behave more Ni-Ti (which can look INTx-ish) or Ni-Se (which can look IxSP-ish) than Ni-Fe at times. This is just one way that people can move around within their type in order to adapt.

Does that make sense?