User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default does MBTI Types depend on a country's background?

for example, the difference between a developed & developing country, and then also because of advanced & increasing education, decreasing level of poverty, availability of Internet/or not, religion & traditions, and a country's past history (or background).
    do they all play a major role to influence/impact the outcomes of certain MBTI Types? (especially on which Types are more 'dominant', or seen a lot, in a country)
    for example, the amount of "N" are more frequent in developed & advanced country (which also have more Internet access, thus, abundant informations access) than "S" . and vice versa in a developing country?
    or in terms of culture, there are more "Introverts" in Asian's culture (because it is encouraged), than "Extroverts" in Western culture (because it is encouraged)?

or, there's little to no correlation?
    So each Type does exist in any country, and also in proportion, regardless of all those factors above?
    what's your opinion on this one?
    and has there been a legitimate research on this particular topic?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Being that I think type is probably innate, I have to say no. What you seem to be referring to is adaptation to the environment. Take an INTP and make him bust rocks for 20 years, he'll get pretty good at bustin' rocks.

I don't think so. I highly doubt it that if you have access to Internet, you'll be more N or S. I don't also think that traditions have any influence on the types.

Plus, in each country there are different social categories. Even if it's a less developed country and there are people who don't have what to eat or acces to education and internet, there are as well people (less, it's true) who swim in money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

It is innate. However, I think it would be awfully hard to develop an N preference in a developing country where you need to be S for survival purposes. I think N types there quickly learn to adapt, and those that don't, go hungry. I highly doubt that if I had to work 14 hours a day or scrape for food, I would be using my Ni to any meaningful degree.

Also, there seems to be cultural preferences regarding what is "attractive". As a whole, western societies seem to value extroverts over introverts. East Asian cultures seem to prefer the opposite. It would be interesting to find out if these preferences extend beyond E vs. I.

All types exist in all countries, but I think some types try to suppress their "true nature" if it conflicts with the cultural norms or leaves them with some kind of disadvantage. For example, I know an Asian ENFP who would fit right in with Western culture. But amongst others in her culture, she is found to be odd and atypical.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'd say it does.

There's a fuck ton of introverts in Lithuania as an example. Generally thought, if looking at a geographical point, the more north you go, the more is the I pronounced compared to the E. But differences between I and E mostly differs based on cultural values. But yet again, I have nearly no knowledge of any country being predominantly I that is near the equator.

As for the N versus S, I'd consider that to change depending on ones culture, not ones social status. For example, in the religious parts of America, being an S is highly preferential to being an N. N's tend to stick to a more "liberal" worldview, while S's like their traditions and classical structures.

I'd say P is more common nearer the equator and J nearer the north. There's a certain feel of rigidness imposed on the northern realms compared to the spontaneity of the of the southern countries, you can compare states like Russia and Spain to give a contrast. Same goes for T and F in my opinion, I think that T is preferred to F more so in the north, than in the south.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    It is innate. However, I think it would be awfully hard to develop an N preference in a developing country where you need to be S for survival purposes. I think N types there quickly learn to adapt, and those that don't, go hungry. I highly doubt that if I had to work 14 hours a day or scrape for food, I would be using my Ni to any meaningful degree.
    I dont see, why N should be a hinderance in the hunt. If you see the stone and the deer and you are hungry, there is a relation to be drawn.

I'd say it does.

There's a fuck ton of introverts in Lithuania as an example. Generally thought, if looking at a geographical point, the more north you go, the more is the I pronounced compared to the E. But differences between I and E mostly differs based on cultural values. But yet again, I have nearly no knowledge of any country being predominantly I that is near the equator.
    Furthermore I dont see why you cant project an Introverted mood, while being Extraverted. In that case, you have got a harder time to come to cunclusions or information and you probably look for it in other places like the internet.

If you have a black lion and a white lion, who both live in a zoo. And then you have a black lion and a white lion, who both live in the free.

Lions stay the same. But that's just my view on type and thing. I dont think type is learned.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i think the distribution of types as defined by keirsey stands true in this example. the percent of each type remains the same, no matter what country. what i think we are seeing here is certain types are accepted by the mass of the population (according to the culture of that country) more than others are. lets take an example. country "X" accepts ISTJs more than any other type, this means that the other types will grow up being taught that this is the accepted way to act and though it wont change their type or the way they think, it will certainly alter the way they interact with society as a whole. it's related to the nature vs nurture argument.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I agree
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    for example, the difference between a developed & developing country, and then also because of advanced & increasing education, decreasing level of poverty, availability of Internet/or not, religion & traditions, and a country's past history (or background).
    do they all play a major role to influence/impact the outcomes of certain MBTI Types? (especially on which Types are more 'dominant', or seen a lot, in a country)
    for example, the amount of "N" are more frequent in developed & advanced country (which also have more Internet access, thus, abundant informations access) than "S" . and vice versa in a developing country?
    or in terms of culture, there are more "Introverts" in Asian's culture (because it is encouraged), than "Extroverts" in Western culture (because it is encouraged)?

or, there's little to no correlation?
    So each Type does exist in any country, and also in proportion, regardless of all those factors above?
    what's your opinion on this one?
    and has there been a legitimate research on this particular topic?
    Genetics has the strongest influence on personality, but environment does get its two cents or more in the equation. Using the Big Five framework it has been found that there are personality trends in certain states, and I'm sure you can find this within cities (smaller level) and within countries (larger level).

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    As for the N versus S, I'd consider that to change depending on ones culture, not ones social status. For example, in the religious parts of America, being an S is highly preferential to being an N. N's tend to stick to a more "liberal" worldview, while S's like their traditions and classical structures.
    We do? Can you explain how SPs all value tradition and classical structures, please?

Sarah