User Tag List

123 Last

Default Informing and Directing

Informing and directing communication styles how do you spot them in daily life?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

"We have a meeting today at 3:00."

"You will come to a meeting today at 3:00."
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

"We are listening to what Sally has to say."

"Justin, stfu so that Sally can talk."
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    "We have a meeting today at 3:00."

"You will come to a meeting today at 3:00."
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    "We are listening to what Sally has to say."

"Justin, stfu so that Sally can talk."
    Okay I get it. Thanks.

I'd prefer to inform and be informed.

Screw the directors.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Okay I get it. Thanks.

I'd prefer to inform and be informed.

Screw the directors.
    I've thought a bit about this difference--supposedly it's a difference between INFJs (directors) and INFPs (informers). Personally, I use both a lot (and probably most people who work a lot with people do, too). I prefer informing to a certain extent, but it can be ineffective and can become passive aggressive. Directing, on the other hand, can seem bossy and alienating. But sometimes Justin does need to be told to stfu and listen to Sally.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTP

Informing and directing communication styles how do you spot them in daily life?
    INTPs often do both. Our Ne/Ti nexus causes us to present opinion as fact. We wear our intuition on our sleeves. People often find it irritating. I personally try to limit it with varying degrees of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I've thought a bit about this difference--supposedly it's a difference between INFJs (directors) and INFPs (informers). Personally, I use both a lot (and probably most people who work a lot with people do, too). I prefer informing to a certain extent, but it can be ineffective and can become passive aggressive. Directing, on the other hand, can seem bossy and alienating. But sometimes Justin does need to be told to stfu and listen to Sally.
    I use both in my job. I work as a Gym Trainer. Informing can be ineffective I suppose but directing, well... it's just not my cup of tea.

I also teach English though. A lot of directing there! Now you've confused me. Which did I prefer again?

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    INTPs often have both. Ne/Ti often causes us to present opinion as fact. We wear our intuition on our sleeves. People often find it irritating. I personally try to limit it with varying degrees of success.
    I find peoples intuition cool. I was going to say sexy but I'm not sure of your gender and all that.

Intuitions give me something to respond to.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think I use informing when I am relaxed and directing when I am feeling rushed and don't have time to be as polite.

I am relaxed most of the time sooo...

but yeah, it's about presenting the information and letting the other person reach their own conclusion vs deciding what needs to be done and vocalizing the decision.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I use both in my job. I work as a Gym Trainer. Informing can be ineffective I suppose but directing, well... it's just not my cup of tea.

I also teach English though. A lot of directing there! Now you've confused me. Which did I prefer again?
    It's not what we prefer, always--it's what we need in the moment. I think that we in our teaching modes probably use more directing than we do in the rest of our lives. I am not by nature a bossy person, but when I've got a room full of fourteen year olds, there needs to be a little direction!
    INFJ