MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    No, that's still directing!

hmm. I think informing would be something like "Jeez, you are being such a moron"
    Ah, right, so that they get the hint that because you think they're being a moron, they should probably be quiet so as not to annoy you. So informing isn't just rephrasing something into a question, it's more like forming a request or demand around surrounding information and hoping that the person will make the connection between that information and what you want them to do. So it should be called "indirecting", lol.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP

"So informing isn't just rephrasing something into a question, it's more like forming a request or demand around surrounding information and hoping that the person will make the connection between that information and what you want them to do."

Exactly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, I rarely if ever encounter the drill Sargent style.
    That's just a really angry directive.

Would the informing version be "Here. You can go to this webpage to read this article, it's really interesting."
    Yeah. Even moreso, it could even be simply "there is a website with an article that's really interesting'.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    That's just a really angry directive.

Yeah. Even moreso, it could even be simply "there is a website with an article that's really interesting'.
    Hmmmm...I don't really experience anyone IRL with a true directing style then. Even my mother (who is a TJ to the core) says stuff like "you know, you left your cup in the living room", with the expectation that I will know to get up and get it right then. Of course, if I don't, she reverts to directing style (usually angry directing style). I think she may do this just to piss me off, though, since she knows that I hate those kinds of statements.

I think informing may be perceived as "nicer" or more palatable for others, so when attempting to be polite (as in most casual conversations, which is the majority of the interacting that I tend to do), most people I come across will do the informing style. I tend to do informing when I'm hyper - conscious of others perceptions of me, like when I meet someone new. Otherwise I do a fair mixture of both...and with closer acquaintances, I hold back less with the directing style.

The point: I don't know if identifying a directing/informing style will necessarily yield positive results when trying to type someone (in the P/J department, anyway).

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It depends on how deeply the amateur is willing to understand, or what framework he is familiar with, if any. Temperaments, and Interaction Styles (which are just temperaments in a different area of interaction) have been mapped to the MBTI, and temperament is based on expressive and responsive behavior scales. Directing and Informing is one of the responsiveness factors, and is very observable in people's behavior. So with this factor, a person familiar with temperament theory will know where it fits in the types, and it's also a big clue for someone trying to type themselves or someone else.
    I don't suppose I can say it's useless, because I haven't tried to use it. It just seems extraneous.

I Directing and Informing is one of the responsiveness factors, and is very observable in people's behavior. So with this factor, a person familiar with temperament theory will know where it fits in the types, and it's also a big clue for someone trying to type themselves or someone else.
    It helped me a lot in deciding between ISTP and ISFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Hmmmm...I don't really experience anyone IRL with a true directing style then. Even my mother (who is a TJ to the core) says stuff like "you know, you left your cup in the living room", with the expectation that I will know to get up and get it right then. Of course, if I don't, she reverts to directing style (usually angry directing style). I think she may do this just to piss me off, though, since she knows that I hate those kinds of statements.

I think informing may be perceived as "nicer" or more palatable for others, so when attempting to be polite (as in most casual conversations, which is the majority of the interacting that I tend to do), most people I come across will do the informing style. I tend to do informing when I'm hyper - conscious of others perceptions of me, like when I meet someone new. Otherwise I do a fair mixture of both...and with closer acquaintances, I hold back less with the directing style.

The point: I don't know if identifying a directing/informing style will necessarily yield positive results when trying to type someone (in the P/J department, anyway).
    While "directing" and "informing" have a nice ring to them as names of the factor; they are really not that good as descriptors, because as I said, that is just one behavioral tendency of what is better termed "people/task-orientation". Everybody uses both, at times, of course. It's just a tendency to use one or other other, yet this can be affected by such non-inborn factors as learned behavior, particular situations, stress, etc. So your mother, while starting out with an informing method, was quick to switch to directing when that didn't work. Types other than TJ/ST/NJ would have probably been slower to switch to directing. (showing more patience). Again, it's not that they never use it, but the people/task orientation (or "responsiveness" to people) is the real root of the behavior, whether it actually takes the form of D/Inf language in any given instance or not.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP

hmmm, how is your mother TJ to the core? Directing types usually start off with directing, especially if they're your parents, or in some other postion where they're Expected to direct. (whether in the form of asking "could you please..." or plain old "do this").

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    hmmm, how is your mother TJ to the core? Directing types usually start off with directing, especially if they're your parents, or in some other postion where they're Expected to direct. (whether in the form of asking "could you please..." or plain old "do this").
    Well I say that she's TJ to the core because she is a neurotic organizer, is super pragmatic and can't stand not to have closure. I don't think that the directing/informing can really tell you all that much about a person's type. I mean, I'm not going to believe that my mother is a P because she uses informing communication before she uses directing...especially not in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary (regarding more important factors). And she still uses directing...especially when she is irate about something not being done, or blah blah blah. The Ps I know generally never use it.

I've also heard way more indirect informing than the one I quoted from her. For instance, my friend, who recently asked me to help him on a project, will start off asking me "so...do you have any free time today?" or "so, you're off today, right?" as a way of reminding me that I need to work on it. Makes me want to strangle him...but as Eric B stated, it's probably more palatable than if he came up to me and directly directed me to work on it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well I say that she's TJ to the core because she is a neurotic organizer, is super pragmatic and can't stand not to have closure. I don't think that the directing/informing can really tell you all that much about a person's type. I mean, I'm not going to believe that my mother is a P because she uses informing communication before she uses directing...especially not in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary (regarding more important factors). And she still uses directing...especially when she is irate about something not being done, or blah blah blah. The Ps I know generally never use it.

I've also heard way more indirect informing than the one I quoted from her. For instance, my friend, who recently asked me to help him on a project, will start off asking me "so...do you have any free time today?" or "so, you're off today, right?" as a way of reminding me that I need to work on it. Makes me want to strangle him...but as Eric B stated, it's probably more palatable than if he came up to me and directly directed me to work on it.
    Actually, it's probably more annoying than just asking. The "do you have time" thing is probably something I do, but I've never minded being ASKED to do something. Not everyone has knee-jerk reactions against the communication styles, and the approach to developement in the area of interaction styles would include becoming more flexible with directing and informing.

And per the Berens interaction style's model, directing and informing is not about J and P.

(and I'm still not sure about your mom. How could I be? adjectives aren't enough. An annoyed person will use a combination of annoyed directing and annoyed informing (that almost seems inherently obvious to me) So your mom informed once (yes, the example you gave was one of informing. The question is does she prefer directing or informing? )