User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    That's Informative. Take the dog for a walk Haphazard.
    Okay. I think that means that I hate informing.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Informing and directing communication styles how do you spot them in daily life?
    AFAIK, informing style tends to point out details and ask questions, while directing style tends to come off as a command or request.

The unfortunate side effect is that those with an informing style tend to phrase commands in such a way that it isn't clear what they expect, and that those with a directing style sometimes come off as more demanding than they actually are.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I generaly prefer if people talk to me in a directive way if they want me to do something. At least then I know what is expected of me. People who prefer an informing style often phrase something in an ambigious way and apparently think they have made a clear request, while in reality they have just uttered some mushy-gushy background noise.

I remember this led to all kinds of problems with my father who would state something seemingly ambigious and then later be offended and ask me "now why didn't you do X?" and I would answer "well, you didn't tell me to" which would get him even more offended.

Informative type communication is more useful for teaching content / transfering information, if you want someone to take action direction works better.

MBTI
    INxJ

Informing is making statements.
    Directing is a specific command.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Informing is making statements.
    Directing is a specific command.
    So everybody does both how are people deciding their preference? Counting them?

Which one do I prefer?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    INTPs often do both. Our Ne/Ti nexus causes us to present opinion as fact. We wear our intuition on our sleeves. People often find it irritating. I personally try to limit it with varying degrees of success.
    INTP's are Informing, but also Structure Focused; which is basically the S/N "mirror" of Directive. For N's, the T is Structure, while P is Informing. For S's, T is Directive, P is Motive focus. (F is informing, J structure). So while Directing and Informing pertain to "Intelligence Type" or "Interaction Style", Structure vs Motive are very similar, but for temperament.

So everybody does both how are people deciding their preference? Counting them?

Which one do I prefer?
    That would be Informing, as all FP's are (both Informing and Motive Focused). Likewise, TJ's are both Directive and structure-focused. TP's and FJ's are a mixture.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    The way I figure out who's directive and informing with people is when we go out. I'll say I'm willing to do this this this and that. Some other person will say I don't care what we do. Another person will say, I'll do this and this, but not that and that. That goes on for a couple rounds and I just figured out who my directives (usually Js) and my informatives (usually Ps) are.
    I'm almost always the person who says "I don't care what we do". Is that directing or informing? I ask because it seems like all of the statements you have listed would count as informing.

I always used to hate when my parents (or anyone else) would use the question method (e.g., "do you think that the table should be cleared?", or "would you like to help me finish the dishes?"). To mock them, I would (and to this day) answer "no" right off the bat to call attention to the element of choice implicit in their question/quasi-command.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm almost always the person who says "I don't care what we do". Is that directing or informing? I ask because it seems like all of the statements you have listed would count as informing.

I always used to hate when my parents (or anyone else) would use the question method (e.g., "do you think that the table should be cleared?", or "would you like to help me finish the dishes?"). To mock them, I would (and to this day) answer "no" right off the bat to call attention to the element of choice implicit in their question/quasi-command.
    LOL I used to do that too.
    I just keep on reinforcing interdependence to my kids. In short I tell them what to do and why they have to do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    That would probably fall under "informing", because it's basically "indifference", which is a Phlegmatic characteristic, which would correspond to Behind the Scenes, which is the aspect of the INP's that is Informing. The statement itself may not fir "information", and in fact be a lack of information, but D/Inf is actually more than just speaking in information or direction. Those are just particular manifestations of the factor known as "Agreeableness" (as we are discussing in the FFM thread), and also known as peope-orientation. So Directive types in the Chart the Course or In Charge styles would be more likely to have a preference, as well as Get Things Going, which is informative, but also extraverted and more driven.
    I hate when my wife does that, and often try to brush it off. But I sure would rather have that than someone barking it in the form of orders at me.
    It's sort of like a "grass is greener on the other side" scenario. Informing communication might seem to have a sneakiness about it, as they are trying to get you to do something without telling you to directly (and they're not always even really necessarily giving you a choice!) But then directing, which is more upfront, just comes across as nasty or at least cutting to me. If we don't want to be bothered, then either way will annoy us.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Is "I need help with x" informing or directing?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.