• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

T and F and the Big Five

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
One time I was driving in the rain, and my car went sliding off the road. I swerved back on the road in a continuous motion, and I noticed I didn't hit anything. I concluded everything was fine. I was by the time I got to the next stop sign. Some girls I know would've been spazzing out, and buy the time we got to our destination would probably still be affected by it. They might possibly make reference to it. I would represent low neuroticism and the girl would represent high neuroticism.

Right now you should be in a normal state. Elements of neuroticism involve how easy it is for your fight-or-flight response to start, and possibly how intensely it's activated. It also involves how long it takes for you to get back to a normal state like you should be in right now.

So if one's fight/flight response is intensely activated by anticipated stimuli but barely by actual stimuli, what do you have there? Low neuroticism with other anxiety issues, or high neuroticism that curiously fails at what it's supposed to do?

Or is fight/flight limited to only sudden responses, and that long, drawn out, painful panic of anticipation truly has nothing to do with it?

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Good thread.

I don't agree with all of your analysis:

Feeling types are compassionate (A), sensitive people (N) who put the happiness of people first (A). Thinking type are very logical (N-), independent (A-), accomplished (generally A- with Conscientiousness denoted by C and extroversion), and know how to do things (C). However, you could also say Thinking types are heartless (A-), arrogant (C) jerks who treat people like machines (A-), and Feeling types are insipid (A and N-), dependent (A), conflict-avoiding (A with one element of introversion) basket cases (N).

Apparently, feelers are a mix of mostly A with a little N, and thinkers are A-, N-, and C (although, I think conscientiousness is a perfect match for J and shouldn't have a thing to do with T and F).

arrogant (C) => A-
who treat people like machines (A-) => N- + A-
dependent (A) => A + N

My mom is someone who is A- and N. This really makes for a terrible combination when you have someone who experiences the fears, anxieties, worries, depression, self-consciousness, and anger associated with N and the welcoming of conflict, greater emphasis on one's own needs, and distrust associated with A-. If this type of person is worried or afraid, escaping these emotions are more important to them, than what's beneficial to others. My mom is now overcome with fear that the cat is going to get hurt by going outside to play. So she thinks it's acceptable to keep the cat inside all the time no matter how much he whines to go out and never mind how much boredom and frustration he may be experiencing. Although my mom is A-, she is not very logical at all because she's N.

This is the combination that predicts people breeding "personal" conflicts with others and getting into emotional drama. Several personality disorders show a combination of these, such as Narcissistic, Borderline, and Paranoid personality disorder.

If you're going to be A-, you'd better be N- to cope with the conflict. I myself am a A- and N- person that has worked with A- and N people for a couple of years. It was an impressive sight to behold. The combination creates apparent haughtiness (A-) protecting insecurity (N), arrogant (A-) attitudes hiding low self-esteem (N), disdain (A-) covering up jealousy (N), etc. I think the combination breeds sickness in relationships. These people created a large amount of unnecessary drama.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I had heard once that a company decided to fire all the A- N+ people because apparently these were bad traits to have, and they immediately began losing money. Lots of it, because there was nobody who was able to adequately put up with the demands of business anymore.

I don't know if I like this. If you two are any indication, Big Five is worse than MBTI.