User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default you realize & act as if you're the 'Type' ?

has any of you felt like that, in your daily-life converstaions & interactions?
    using my own real-life as example, ever since i know i'm an INFP , sometimes when i act & talk/interact to people, i can't help but often felt like "wow..look at me. this is soo INFP-ish!"
    or when you're an INTJ, after you've act or interacted with people, you can suddenly feel this 'sheer' feeling of "wow, this is so INTJ-ish, do stuff that i just did (or thought, etc) ! "

and..don't you sometimes think it's kinda 'restricting' you?
    it's as if, you ACT more like the Type's stereotype,..rather than being YOURself (ie: you can sometimes be like ISTJ-ish, ESFP-ish, etc etc, since you are YOU) ?

or am i alone here experiencing all of this?
    or,..has MBTI 'brainwashed' me ?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

OH yeah. Whenever I use the word "effective", I have a gigantic nerd moment. (One recent example involving a Halloween movie marathon: "We should watch the scary ones after the not-so-scary ones, because scary movies are more effective late at night.")

I definitely feel restricted, especially since I'm under thirty y.o. and have my career ahead of me. I keep reading these things about ESTJs being managers and thinking "What if I don't want to be a manager? What if all these suggested career options sound awful?"

I also (and I don't know if you do this, niki) read things about my type that are really extreme and get insecure and think "do people really see me like this?" I feel like this is especially the case with my type, because the web (and this forum) is so filled with horror stories and rants about ESTJs - for instance, how they bring their work mindset home with them and "manage" their families. (Look up "evil sadistic total jerk" on Google for an excellent example of anti-ESTJ ranting.) The more obsessed/nerdy I get about MBTI, the more insecure I tend to become about my personality. I feel like, as you said, I can't be "me" anymore... or was I ever "me"?

That was probably a little too much info Ah well. In a nutshell - No, you aren't the only one!! Sympathy hug!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

In cases where I reflect and realize how far detached from the practical my thoughts are, and how much information is contained in them, how willing I am to further abstract. How consistently I like to be mentally engaged in the critical, that I actually enjoy it, and how little awareness I have of others.

It's a good way to cross check and realize how other types may take it.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    or am i alone here experiencing all of this?
    or,..has MBTI 'brainwashed' me ?
    I haven't experienced that at all because I have a strong need to be ME and act how I feel I should act whatever is my personality type.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yes? Is this a trick question?

Those I hang around with most respect my off-the-wall analytical weirdness. I don't have to "fit in" with my good friends, but I willingly do so around other people. The awkwardness just isn't worth it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    IxTJ

I prefer to use my "face to the world" (T function) most of the time. Other times, I don't see myself acting as type; I act as a human being.
    Speak Truthfully, Act Righteously

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Actually, for me it has brought the reverse..

I've been fighting myself for so many years in order to fit in and at the same time stay true to myself, that coming here has brought a sort of peace of mind to me. It has shown me that others are like me as well (to a degree) and it doesn't necessarily have to mean suppressing who I am to fit in.

I've learned to appreciate my ENFP-ness instead of considering it an evil thing which causes me to be different from the rest and makes the rest feel uneasy with me. I had trouble realizing that some people actually do like that about me.

In short: It gives me the permission I've been seeking to be myself without feeling guilty about it.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, don't take it too far though )
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

To the OP, yes, I definitely experience that. Although I subsequently rationalize it by telling myself that it's just because I've managed to turn once tacit behaviors into consciously recognizable ones. I don't think it restricts me, though, because I think that it's like any learning.

Like I tell my public speaking students...if you try and speak while biting down on a pen (inserted horizontally between the lips), you will suddenly become conscious of all the mouth movements that it takes to actually say words. It's not that you weren't doing these before, it's just that now you know that you're doing them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Like I tell my public speaking students...if you try and speak while biting down on a pen (inserted horizontally between the lips)
    Yeah, I have to do that while I'm speaking in public.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, I have to do that while I'm speaking in public.
    Do you? I made my students do it as an elocutionary exercise. Debaters have to practice that way so that people can understand them when they speak really fast, so I thought it would be useful to try.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness