First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    nah i just act like myself. im still very ENFPish but my dad is an INTJ and i see the effect all the time. i actually tend to interact better with NTs then NFs. many NFs (and i myself do this from time to time) take things too personally and i dont need that when im trying to have an intelligent conversation/debate. dont get me wrong... i love my NF buds but when it comes to a good discussion there is nothing like an NT (my best friend is an ENTP). so, no, i dont act a whole lot like my type just because i know about what my type should act like.
    You've always struck me as an ENTP, i've never ever gotten the classic ENFP-vibe from you. Never. Might be the wrong thread, but have you ever thought of the possibility of you being a generally well-rounded ENTP...?

You're probably sure of it, though, and the only person that can truly know yourself is you.

Edit: ^ sure of you being an ENFP. You probably got that. Just in case.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I act like me.

Trying to act more like an INTP would be self defeating because I am one.

garbage

Even though I've never been exactly sure of my type (leaning toward "overly balanced ENTP" despite having introduced myself as an ESFJ), typing's been useful as a way to help me find patterns in my own behavior and thought processes, and I've been able to make more sense of them as a result. I've also learned to trust my supposed strengths more, and also identify and work on my weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    In short: It gives me the permission I've been seeking to be myself without feeling guilty about it.
    Oh, and I feel this way, too. I don't want to use my type as an excuse for certain negative qualities, but I do use it as a starting point for accepting myself for who I am, then moving forward with what I can improve.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    You've always struck me as an ENTP, i've never ever gotten the classic ENFP-vibe from you. Never. Might be the wrong thread, but have you ever thought of the possibility of you being a generally well-rounded ENTP...?

You're probably sure of it, though, and the only person that can truly know yourself is you.

Edit: ^ sure of you being an ENFP. You probably got that. Just in case.
    ive always been sure im an ENFP but i tend to try not to take things personally and i lend as much logic as i can to situations, even if they are emotionally driven. like i said (i think i said, and if not here i have elsewhere), my dad is an INTJ and has a great affect on the way i think.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

I just act myself.
    MBTI helps to me reflect on myself but doesn't guide my actions. My emotions do that.

MBTI
    ENTP

MBTI helps me to understand myself and other people better, but I don't think along the lines of: 'oh, that person's an xxxx and therefore must be x, y and z'.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Richard0612 View Post
    MBTI helps me to understand myself and other people better, but I don't think along the lines of: 'oh, that person's an xxxx and therefore must be x, y and z'.
    Well, that's good, because then they'd be an xxyz.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I was thinking about how MBTI is similar to other ways of categorizing people and started wondering if people can define self without being told who they are to some extent.

The MBTI categories can be quite limiting. I was briefly in a master's degree in counseling and one of the professors was asked about MBTI. She said that there were three types she came out as depending on context: work, family, and recreation. From what I understand the study of psychology does not take this MBTI stuff too dogmatically. It provides some reference point and has some interesting insights into people, but the hard boundary style labeling isn't always appropriate. I can think and act within a range that extends beyond one MBTI category. If people start to feel obligated to think and act based on external definitions, then I think there is cause for concern. It is even problematic to point to a personality and say, 'this defines it', for at least two reasons: firstly an individual is complex and shaped by trillions of details of nuance, and secondly a person is a dynamic system in a constant state of change.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I just act myself.
    MBTI helps to me reflect on myself but doesn't guide my actions. My emotions do that.
    Agreed. I think acting more like your type would essentially be catering to whatever the most popular type descriptions say is supposed to be your type's typical behavior. The descriptions may not even be all that accurate anyway. I actually think it's difficult-to-impossible NOT to act in accordance with your type preferences, and by that I don't mean your behavior matches up with the descriptions. It's yoru motives that are aligned with your temperament's (and type's) core needs and values.

Sarah

Junior Member verenalovelygarden's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default hello Niki

[QUOTE=niki;434532]has any of you felt like that, in your daily-life converstaions & interactions?

or when you're an INTJ, after you've act or interacted with people, you can suddenly feel this 'sheer' feeling of "wow, this is so INTJ-ish, do stuff that i just did (or thought, etc) ! "

It's only two weeks ago that I know my real profile. In the meantime I learned many details of the INTJ temper while visiting a lot of websites.
    Sometimes when I'm acting as usual I have to laugh about myself and the circumstances ; like my typical sentence: Does it work? I don't say it any more.... I have to laugh with tears on my cheeks because I already know that it NEVER works !!!!
    And at least life seems to be easier for me since I can understand more common typologies.
    Take care. Verena