User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Do you? I made my students do it as an elocutionary exercise. Debaters have to practice that way so that people can understand them when they speak really fast, so I thought it would be useful to try.
    Nah, I was kidding. I don't think that would go over too well. Nor would my speaking in public in the first place.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Nah, I was kidding. I don't think that would go over too well. Nor would my speaking in public in the first place.
    If you could keep the drool from being too conspicuous, I think it could work.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    has any of you felt like that, in your daily-life converstaions & interactions?
    using my own real-life as example, ever since i know i'm an INFP , sometimes when i act & talk/interact to people, i can't help but often felt like "wow..look at me. this is soo INFP-ish!"
    or when you're an INTJ, after you've act or interacted with people, you can suddenly feel this 'sheer' feeling of "wow, this is so INTJ-ish, do stuff that i just did (or thought, etc) ! "

and..don't you sometimes think it's kinda 'restricting' you?
    it's as if, you ACT more like the Type's stereotype,..rather than being YOURself (ie: you can sometimes be like ISTJ-ish, ESFP-ish, etc etc, since you are YOU) ?

or am i alone here experiencing all of this?
    or,..has MBTI 'brainwashed' me ?
    Absolutely NOT! If anything the reverse is true. Sometimes I catch myself doing typically INTP things and I self-correct - I try to see things from the other person's perspective, or I realize that I'm arguing for the sake of argument for example, and I stop (yes I DO!). It's made me less dismissive / more appreciative of different mindsets, more aware of my own subjectivity.

It is amusing though. It's amusing to be called on it too.

EDIT. I'm pretty myopic, I wear contact lenses and have done so since I was 13. I was short-sighted well before this time, but in common with many people didn't know it despite the fact that I used to squint at the board in class, had headaches etc.
    After your vision has been corrected you see both yourself and others more clearly - duh.
    I don't have 20-20 even with lenses, but I know they are effective - I don't get on the wrong bus so often or trip over stuff; I recognize people from a distance etc.

This is analogous to the usefulness of MBTI, IMO. You see your own faults/abilities and those of others with greater clarity. You understand your prescription, you have insight into the unique prism through which your own perception operates. It helps you navigate through life with fewer mistakes.
    Last edited by Salomé; 11-28-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: for clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default >you realize & act as if you're the 'Type'?

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Actually, for me it has brought the reverse..

I've been fighting myself for so many years in order to fit in and at the same time stay true to myself, that coming here has brought a sort of peace of mind to me. It has shown me that others are like me as well (to a degree) and it doesn't necessarily have to mean suppressing who I am to fit in.

I've learned to appreciate my ENFP-ness instead of considering it an evil thing which causes me to be different from the rest and makes the rest feel uneasy with me. I had trouble realizing that some people actually do like that about me.

In short: It gives me the permission I've been seeking to be myself without feeling guilty about it.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, don't take it too far though )
    I agree. For me it's clarified things I found confusing in the past and explains some of the urges I feel (ex: becoming a peer counselor to others with mental illness) that didn't make a lot of sense before.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I find I act the same way, I just have more cognizance of my processes and what they're doing, how they're assimilating and presenting information to me, and how I'm making decisions based on those processes. I find it all very interesting.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

nah i just act like myself. im still very ENFPish but my dad is an INTJ and i see the effect all the time. i actually tend to interact better with NTs then NFs. many NFs (and i myself do this from time to time) take things too personally and i dont need that when im trying to have an intelligent conversation/debate. dont get me wrong... i love my NF buds but when it comes to a good discussion there is nothing like an NT (my best friend is an ENTP). so, no, i dont act a whole lot like my type just because i know about what my type should act like.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Actually, for me it has brought the reverse..

I've been fighting myself for so many years in order to fit in and at the same time stay true to myself, that coming here has brought a sort of peace of mind to me. It has shown me that others are like me as well (to a degree) and it doesn't necessarily have to mean suppressing who I am to fit in.

I've learned to appreciate my ENFP-ness instead of considering it an evil thing which causes me to be different from the rest and makes the rest feel uneasy with me. I had trouble realizing that some people actually do like that about me.

In short: It gives me the permission I've been seeking to be myself without feeling guilty about it.

Just change "ENFP-ness" to "ISFP-ness" and I agree with that post word for word.

Plus I got to say P-ness twice.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    has any of you felt like that, in your daily-life converstaions & interactions?
    using my own real-life as example, ever since i know i'm an INFP , sometimes when i act & talk/interact to people, i can't help but often felt like "wow..look at me. this is soo INFP-ish!"
    or when you're an INTJ, after you've act or interacted with people, you can suddenly feel this 'sheer' feeling of "wow, this is so INTJ-ish, do stuff that i just did (or thought, etc) ! "

and..don't you sometimes think it's kinda 'restricting' you?
    it's as if, you ACT more like the Type's stereotype,..rather than being YOURself (ie: you can sometimes be like ISTJ-ish, ESFP-ish, etc etc, since you are YOU) ?

or am i alone here experiencing all of this?
    or,..has MBTI 'brainwashed' me ?
    I don't like my type's stereotype so I try NOT to act like it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

hmmm.. (goes back and reads about my type)
    Yea, I fit pretty close.. much more laid back, lower energy, and lower maintenance than the description, though.

I also don't fit with all the anecdotal horror stories about my type I read here.

oh and I don't think just knowing my type makes me act like the stereotype. I already was pretty close already so i wouldn't have to change it much.. also pretty comfortable in my own skin and would rather stay true to myself rather than try to act "ESFPish" just because thats how i'm supposed to be.

Naw, I act the same as always.

Besides that, I agree with Amargith.