• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Standard learning pattern?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If an INTP would do well to learn the positive aspects of ENTJ and ESFJ then does this form a standardised pattern in respect to the other types?

I realise that ideally you learn a little of all the types but that's not as helpful for clear developmental mapping etc. Basically I'm looking for a template so for any type I can guess well if you are X then you need to learn more Y.

Attachments

• 100_0292.jpg
    100_0292.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,276
  • 100_1227 red x.jpg
    100_1227 red x.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,336

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're suggesting two alternate "types" to use as templates, since together they'd cover the six remaining functions?

So for ISFJ, you would have ISFP and ENTP? (for example?)

Why those types in particular? Why not swap in INTJ for ENTJ? (same functions, just flipped pairs.) And so on?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You're suggesting two alternate "types" to use as templates, since together they'd cover the six remaining functions?

So for ISFJ, you would have ISFP and ENTP? (for example?)

Why those types in particular? Why not swap in INTJ for ENTJ? (same functions, just flipped pairs.) And so on?
INTPs who learn ENTJ learn to actually action their ideas which gives them a sense of achievement and fulfiment. Oh and it reduces the bitching that everything is wrong but it's too hard to change.

I'm actually quoting my father with the whole ENTJ and ESFJ. Apparently it works for INTPs I just wondered if it worked for other types in any kind of pattern. I never considered the functions...

I'll go get Wildcat :devil:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs who learn ENTJ learn to actually action their ideas which gives them a sense of achievement and fulfiment. Oh and it reduces the bitching that everything is wrong but it's too hard to change.

Oh, I agree with that. One of my worst functions is Te... and that weakness is making my life very hard to manage. (Se would be useful as well, just to give my inner world time to recuperate... but that's my other worst function.)

I'm actually quoting my father with the whole ENTJ and ESFJ. Apparently it works for INTPs I just wondered if it worked for other types in any kind of pattern. I never considered the functions...

INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe

ENTJ = Te + Ni + Se + Fi
ESFJ = Fe + Si + Ne + Ti

So ENTJ + ESFJ covers all the bases for remaining functions.

INTJ could be swapped for ENTJ (same functions, different order), as well as some other types (e.g., ESFP = Se + Fi + Te + Ni), but ENTJ has the elegance of having the functions in the same order as INTP, except they are all E/I flipped. So from the outside, ENTJ looks like someone who structures his OUTER world, using inner intuition to guide his actions... a sort of INTP turned inside-out.

Anyway, I was figuring the same process could work for all the other types, if you wanted to do the equations.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*nods nods nods* I also believe that applies to all types... well different functions for specific types.

INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe

ENTJ = Te + Ni + Se + Fi
ESFJ = Fe + Si + Ne + Ti

So ENTJ + ESFJ covers all the bases for remaining functions.

INTJ could be swapped for ENTJ (same functions, different order), as well as some other types (e.g., ESFP = Se + Fi + Te + Ni), but ENTJ has the elegance of having the functions in the same order as INTP, except they are all E/I flipped. So from the outside, ENTJ looks like someone who structures his OUTER world, using inner intuition to guide his actions... a sort of INTP turned inside-out.

Covering all bases... in other words, the best person to be is one that can effectively use all 8 functions. Since our inferior & shadow functions are the least developed... we are most likely to misuse them and thus we should work on being like our opposite types because these are their dominant functions.

Question about function development... what to work on first? They say your inferior function will come to you in yours 40s etc... will it be overly taxing the actively work on it earlier? Should we even follow that crazy development pattern... say for INTP, Ti Ne Te Ni Se Si Fe Fi? Or is it better to apply everything together... that what do they call it? The zig-zag fashion? :blink:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No maths needed surely?

1 is your preferance & 2 is the opposite.

Your prefered type is 1111
Learn from 2112 and 2222.

That should work in all instances.

The thing is does it?

ISFJ = 1st base for learning of ESFP and then ENTP.

Any ISFJs to test this out?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Question about function development... what to work on first? They say your inferior function will come to you in yours 40s etc... will it be overly taxing the actively work on it earlier? Should we even follow that crazy development pattern... say for INTP, Ti Ne Te Ni Se Si Fe Fi? Or is it better to apply everything together... that what do they call it? The zig-zag fashion? :blink:
A very N answer for you but I'd say you should always do it in context.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your preferred type is 1111
Learn from 2112 and 2222.

Yes, that's the pattern.

ISFJ = 1st base for learning of ESFP and then ENTP.
Any ISFJs to test this out?

Well, I think one thing to be careful of as this is explored is that we don't fulfill our own created expectations. IOW, to test this, we not only need to see if this makes sense for ISFJ, but that other potential model types DON'T make as much sense or aren't as efficient.

That being said, my wife has benefited a great deal from bonding with our ESFP son. (Ironically, she finds him the easiest one of our three for her to "understand" and relate to.)

She is SiFe and he is SeFi. So in a way I think he fascinates her and lives vicariously through him, in a sense. And while she is trying to give him some structure (which SiFe is great for), she's learning to ease up, allow herself to live life, be in the flow, find her own inner values.

Some of the best times I have had with my wife was when she stopped Fe'ing and just dropped into Se. (The times we went jet-skiing, for example; she is SO straight-laced, but out there on the lake, she switched into "in the moment" mode and was a real maniac.)

Likewise, her Ne used to be very terrible, because she tends to see just what she wants to see... or fears she might see... rather than what is actually there. Learning to disengage from her Si (which says, "Here is what happened in the past, so it will likely continue to happen in the future") and choosing Ne ("Here is what could happen, based on what I see around me right now") is good for her.

nightning said:
Question about function development... what to work on first? They say your inferior function will come to you in yours 40s etc... will it be overly taxing the actively work on it earlier?

Yes, it is taxing... and potentially destructive.

Why? Because if you are forced to develop it before your primary and secondary are developed, you basically get confused and learn to distrust your #1 & #2 functions.

It's not a matter of not being able to develop Fe, then, for INTPs, at a younger age. It's that they shouldn't be developing it more than their Ti and Ne; they should get their main functions established first, THEN work on the others.

I think this has been my experience. It throws everything out of whack... nor do you learn to develop Fe in the best possible way, it's likely to be distorted in some way. That's what I see in myself: Saying and doing the "right things" to preserve my social role/place, rather than following TiNe. Ne was more acceptable (caused less friction) than expressing Ti, which could be ruthless and very direct -- usually I just harbored Ti inside and didn't share it much with anyone.

Should we even follow that crazy development pattern... say for INTP, Ti Ne Te Ni Se Si Fe Fi? Or is it better to apply everything together... that what do they call it? The zig-zag fashion?

I don't know. I ended up developing my introverted functions first, and excluding my Te and Se pretty drastically, due to my bad childhood situation. I think this gave me some sensitivity and richness, but it also confused me because I ended up being of "two minds" (such as my Ti constantly being confused by Fi, and so forth).

Realistically, I can see what the zigzag pattern is followed -- because Te is similar to Ti in how it evaluates things, it just does it externally. So Te is simply a servant of Ti -- something that helps Ti implement in the outer world -- but doesn't really get in its way as long as it realizes its position. Same thing with Ni -- it sort of acts as a way to balance and check conclusions made by the TiNe combo. If you developed Si first, its tendency is to "shoot down" ideas made by TiNe rather than guide them. And Fi muddies up Ti, weakening conclusions as well -- a big inner fight over "what makes sense" vs "what I value."

This is speculation on my part and needs to be explored further, though. Just never thought about it before to this depth.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Right now my brain is once again working (some nice mice singing "We will fix it" came along and rewound the elastic band for me).

INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe
ENTJ = Te + Ni + Se + Fi
ESFJ = Fe + Si + Ne + Ti

We've covered this one. I'm including it just to note the pattern and for a sense of completeness (is that even a word?).

ISFJ = Si + Fe + Ti + Ne
ESFJ = Fe + Si + Ne + Ti
ENTP = Ne + Ti + Fe + Si

Now I'd say that ISFJs could do without the ENTP negative comments habit. Does the ESFJ characteristics help moderate the negative side of ENTP? I think so. Plus the ENTPs ability to pretty much snipe anything off the table should help the ISFJs confidence.

Note - I'm not overly familiar with this dynamic yet. Perhaps you, Fortunato, will have more insight?

INFP = Fi + Ne + Si + Te
ENFJ = Fe + Ni + Se + Ti
ESTJ = Te + Si + Ne + Fi

I was speaking about this to my INFP friend last night. Basically if the INFP goes straight from placid and calming to sergeant major (ESTJ) then they are both flip flopping on the recipient, which is liable to make them hostile, and on themselves, most INFPs I've met do not like to be so abrasive and do not like it's effects on people. Hence if they learn a bit of ENFJ and become better able to communicate their emotions and feel more justified in asking for what they need then the move to organising people should not include so much passive agressive behaviour where they vent at others due to repressed feelings and unexpressed wants.

I hope this makes sense.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
One I was considering last night when caught between two ESxPs!

ESTP - Prone to being a ditz. Fairly random and disorganised but lots of energy and if focused can be very "switched on" people.
ISTJ - A walking repository of information. Consider things before accepting them and are quite "plodding" in thought pattern. Step by step approach.
INFJ - (I don't know much about these but I'd guess they're good judges and feel the connections. Help.)

ESFP - Complete ditz!! Very here and now. If they got diagnosed with myopia then I'd very much expect them to be completely blind!
ISFJ - Again not much known but presumably they are much slower to act, as ISTJ is versus ESTP.
INTJ - Able to act competently with speed but it's more of a faster plodding than leaping to conclusions.

Basically with both types it seems that step 1 is to get the subject to be able to slow down and focus. Once that is achieved then they can tackle thier more intuitive side which is usually only giving them paranoia and little hints which they then charge at like an irritated bull.

The other point is that whilst they are developing their organisational skills and trying to get themselves to check each step of thier thinking, it is essential to both types to DO the task so they can understand it. Hence once they've developed thier intuition they move on to incorperating some traits from their intuitive shadow.

Note the extremely harsh descriptions of ESxPs are supposed to represent a more polarised version of that type before they develop. Developes ESxPs are not necessarily anything like that. Hell one day I'll meet one that can do the same task the same way TWICE!!! (I'm such an optimist.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One I was considering last night when caught between two ESxPs!

ESTP - Prone to being a ditz. Fairly random and disorganised but lots of energy and if focused can be very "switched on" people.
ISTJ - A walking repository of information. Consider things before accepting them and are quite "plodding" in thought pattern. Step by step approach.
INFJ - (I don't know much about these but I'd guess they're good judges and feel the connections. Help.)

ESTP = Se + Ti + Fe + Ni
ISTJ = Si + Te + Fi + Ne
INFJ = Ni + Fe + Ti + Se

ESTPs tend to be good entrepeneurs. They schmooze well and actually have a good understanding of how the world itself works, so they can implement their ideas. Their ideas tend to be realistic and practical. (ESFPs tend to rely more on their ability to win people on an emotional level.) They are pragmatic, rubber-meets-road. I think Donald Trump is an ESTP type. (Probably the Comedian from "The Watchmen" as well.)

Unfortunately, they often can go around without a real core and be disjointed in their approach. The Si + Te thing would give them some real structure and consistency, which they need if they are to be effective. it also helps them get more centered.

The Ni probably expands their thinking -- they realize all the things they take for granted in the Se real world really have no internal meaning and can mean different things in different contexts. This allows them to step outside the conventional meaning of things and get a deeper understanding of their interactions with others. [Boy, I'm good at saying things that sound good but ultimately still don't clarify things, aren't I?]

I've seen a rather shallow thinking/understanding of the significance of things from ESTPs -- they tend to brush off those things and take the situation at face value. The Ni gives them a better grip of reality, I think.

ESFP - Complete ditz!! Very here and now. If they got diagnosed with myopia then I'd very much expect them to be completely blind!
ISFJ - Again not much known but presumably they are much slower to act, as ISTJ is versus ESTP.
INTJ - Able to act competently with speed but it's more of a faster plodding than leaping to conclusions.

ESFP = Se + Fi + Te + Ni
ISFJ = Si + Fe + Ti + Ne
INTJ = Ni + Te + Fi + Se

ESFPs tend to want to positively stir up people, create fun, and rely on their schmoozing ability to win people over, rather than a manipulation of the impersonal rules per se. But they also tend to be very subjective and make irrational and sometimes selfish decisions in terms of only their own feelings.

They benefit from ISFJ's sense of an inner stable world (rather than outer chaos), as well as a sense of what behavior is appropriate in order to care for others as they would themselves -- their "good intentions" actually have a way to be made manifest, rather than just wishful thinking. They really need this; otherwise they are prone to seeing themselves as loving and sweet and kind, when really they are just destroying other people's lives and hurting their feelings. Te development REALLY helps them in regards to implementing their ideas, because their life is otherwise disorderly.

I dunno. Just thoughts.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I dunno. Just thoughts.
Sounds like it works though. I think this simple swapping of letters gives a real clear basic line of progression for any type. If not a comprehensive theory it's certainly accessible and clear as a base starter for ten.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like it works though. I think this simple swapping of letters gives a real clear basic line of progression for any type. If not a comprehensive theory it's certainly accessible and clear as a base starter for ten.

Well, I have some hesitation, for the simple reason that similar cases can be made if you just pick any two types at random. You can probably find some "good" connection that could be made. (Try it and see if you can.)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok let's go through this path thoroughly.

INTP - INFP.
Reputed as not good as the Fi confuses the Ti.

ESTP - ESFP.
Same thing.

ENTJ - ENFJ.
Yup the same again.

Theory - Just changing T to F or F to T isn't particularly healthy as it then becomes difficult to use either effectively.

So perhaps it's necessary to change two preferences to enact a significant enough change for it to be useful?

Which two?

INTP - ENFP. I'd imagine the whole trying to get people to like them would stress INTPs.

INTP - ESTP. Whoa! That's like a more chaotic INTP. It'd be like skimming my brain across the surface.

INTP - INFJ. Nah. Never be able to manage the whole deep connections without being developed first.

So it looks like it does matter which preferences you switch.

(You'll not I'm really scientific :D Feel free to be more precise.)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Theory - Just changing T to F or F to T isn't particularly healthy as it then becomes difficult to use either effectively.

So perhaps it's necessary to change two preferences to enact a significant enough change for it to be useful?
Is it though? Sometimes little things can make a difference... I'm thinking in my case INFJ vs INTJ.

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se

Fe takes into account for the opinions of other people, that there are always alternate ways of looking at things.
Te views the world very systematically, that there is one ideal way of doing things.

Instead of having my usual wishy-washy, try to please/take into account of everybody, stance... With Te, I could for once make a quick firm decision and be happy about it. People will probably respect my judgement more.

INTP - ENFP. I'd imagine the whole trying to get people to like them would stress INTPs.

INTP - ESTP. Whoa! That's like a more chaotic INTP. It'd be like skimming my brain across the surface.

INTP - INFJ. Nah. Never be able to manage the whole deep connections without being developed first.

I think in the end, all functions have their uses... so it doesn't really matter which type you try to emulate.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Is it though? Sometimes little things can make a difference... I'm thinking in my case INFJ vs INTJ.

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se

Fe takes into account for the opinions of other people, that there are always alternate ways of looking at things.
Te views the world very systematically, that there is one ideal way of doing things.

Instead of having my usual wishy-washy, try to please/take into account of everybody, stance... With Te, I could for once make a quick firm decision and be happy about it. People will probably respect my judgement more.
The important thing would be though that the whole efficiency drive would be a killer to learn.
I think in the end, all functions have their uses... so it doesn't really matter which type you try to emulate.
That much is true but try teaching INTJ to ESTP. It doesn't really work.

Try teaching it to an ESFP and they can see the advantages but can't do it until they can figure it out. ISFJ helps them "key" into the practice of their shadow. It's the introductory lessons, if you will.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se

Meh.... NiFe does that because Ni "deconstructs" behaviors and signs in order to get outside of them and see what biases were involved in them, thus understanding reality better. SiFe respects other POVs in order to preserve the peace but usually the Si has entrenched a very particular "right way" of doing things, even if the SiFe person has developed the ability to treat others well and keep their thoughts to themselves.

(SiFe is actually more entrenched than FeSi, because the Fe dominant person is taking as a standard whatever is currently predominate to express a particular commitment -- it derives its rules from the environment -- whereas SiFe grounds the standard internally early on and is reluctant to budge even when the rest of the world changes.)

I don't know about that either. The key more is that, simply, some sort of sensible decision is being made... not necessarily that it's the best per se. "Best" could change depending on circumstance.

Instead of having my usual wishy-washy, try to please/take into account of everybody, stance...

I guess this is more behavior, versus motivation. Do you actually have an instinctive "answer" to the situation inside... but outwardly you still find yourself trying to keep everyone happy?

I think in the end, all functions have their uses...

Definitely agree with that! :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The important thing would be though that the whole efficiency drive would be a killer to learn.
Try teaching it to an ESFP and they can see the advantages but can't do it until they can figure it out. ISFJ helps them "key" into the practice of their shadow. It's the introductory lessons, if you will.
The main problem here isn't that the skill isn't useful, but whether we are able to learn it. A killer to learn doesn't mean it's not possible! I go by what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. hehe :D

I think the trick here isn't to force yourself to be something you're not. Rather to try working on it a little bit at a time. Isolate the functions a little bit... For example I know my Ni works even if my brain's half dead... so all I need to do is suppress Fe, and bring Te out to play. Easier said then done? Maybe, maybe not. I see it as reflection of Ti outwards... ie this is the logical option to take... in my mind, I run through the possible outcomes of various actions. Fe would like to expand into how these outcomes will affect other people. So in this case, I deliberately tune those down. What's the best outcome for myself that would sit okay with other people. Then just do that.

Meh.... NiFe does that because Ni "deconstructs" behaviors and signs in order to get outside of them and see what biases were involved in them, thus understanding reality better. SiFe respects other POVs in order to preserve the peace but usually the Si has entrenched a very particular "right way" of doing things, even if the SiFe person has developed the ability to treat others well and keep their thoughts to themselves.

(SiFe is actually more entrenched than FeSi, because the Fe dominant person is taking as a standard whatever is currently predominate to express a particular commitment -- it derives its rules from the environment -- whereas SiFe grounds the standard internally early on and is reluctant to budge even when the rest of the world changes.)
*blinks* True... I'm going off into NiFe world. Here is a case of function interaction of NiFe rather than pure Fe... The ISFJs I know don't like to budge from their current view of the world at all. To them... Si is Si, it doesn't quite allow as much change to their internal believes as Ni. For them to accept something new means giving up their complete internal system, while for me... it's merely taking into account of an alternate way of perceiving the same truth. What you said about FeSi makes sense... what about FeNi? Taking people into account first before making connections in the mind. It would be extremely difficult for them to switch off Fe and stand up for themselves... x-X Well difficult but doable... same thing as me trying to be more like an ISFJ...

I don't know about that either. The key more is that, simply, some sort of sensible decision is being made... not necessarily that it's the best per se. "Best" could change depending on circumstance.
I guess this is more behavior, versus motivation. Do you actually have an instinctive "answer" to the situation inside... but outwardly you still find yourself trying to keep everyone happy?
Sensible is what I meant. Bounded rationality... (I like that term). Given that set of information, what's the best solution you can come up with that maximize gain? For in trying to please everybody, you get nowhere.

It's a case of balancing motivations... on one hand, I want to do something for myself (action A that benefits me the most), on the other, I care about how my action will affect other people (action B that will make other people happy). In my mind, I do know the answer... can see what will happen if I take either route. The question is which one do I take? Fe wants me to take B... Ti wants me to take A... but B will always be selected unless I invert that Ti decision to action... aka Ti->Te.

I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly. Words just aren't coming to me very well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Sorry... I know I sort of veered a little off the conversation track. :blush:

True... I'm going off into NiFe world. Here is a case of function interaction of NiFe rather than pure Fe... The ISFJs I know don't like to budge from their current view of the world at all. To them... Si is Si, it doesn't quite allow as much change to their internal believes as Ni. For them to accept something new means giving up their complete internal system, while for me... it's merely taking into account of an alternate way of perceiving the same truth. What you said about FeSi makes sense... what about FeNi? Taking people into account first before making connections in the mind. It would be extremely difficult for them to switch off Fe and stand up for themselves... x-X Well difficult but doable... same thing as me trying to be more like an ISFJ...
FeNi (the ENFJ type)... What I see in them is a sense of people and how to nurture/teach them (they do it instinctively... mentor, basically), and they use their Ni sense to cut through all the b.s. that people smokescreen themselves with, seeing things from all angles and not just what the person would HAVE them see or think about them, and they use that wisdom to tailor their interaction. The FeSi (ESFJ) uses past experience and the internalized landscape to make this judgment of "what is best for someone." Unfortunately, this might not be best for the person in question if the ESFJ has misread the situation or if the target has been promoting "false/slanted" information, misrepresenting themselves (purposefully or not).

Most ENFJs do have a hard time standing up for themselves; on the other hand, most do not seem to be as bothered or find that necessary, they seem to be happy to "mentor." my guess is that introverts are much more likely to feel put upon and be searching for their elusive "self."

Sensible is what I meant. Bounded rationality... (I like that term). Given that set of information, what's the best solution you can come up with that maximize gain? For in trying to please everybody, you get nowhere.
Ah, yes! "Sensible" is a great word -- IxFJ types are very sensible when it comes to people and things. An ISFJ is more apt to be sensible with concrete matters but in regards to relationships/expectations of others get a little get caught up in doing "what is right", while I think an INFJ is much more aware of what is most sensible based on the current situation.

I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly. Words just aren't coming to me very well.
No, I think I got it. the word "sensible" to sum everything up was a great choice.