12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

Default Misconceptions About Fe

I've been perusing some of the older threads on this board concerning Fe.

There appears to be some consensus that the moral structure of Fe is somehow derived from society, culture or some external construct along those lines. I can't speak for others, but as a supposed "Fe user" I don't don't really identify with this interpretation. I grew up with religion and modern American culture, and yet, I don't agree with either on a Fe level. I'm sure my morals have been influenced by some external structures, like my family (and perhaps religion and culture to a lesser degree), but they hardly define them.

It also seems that some people see Fe as being somewhat "codependent" and fake. Perhaps this is an "unhealthy" quality of Fe. I would rather be brutally honest than tell someone a lie just to spare myself guilt or a nasty reply. There are some exceptions to this, but I've learned that most people can easily see when I'm "just trying to be nice".

I also have a hard time believing I'm incapable of experiencing Fi. It seems like all these functions are defined in such a rigid manner. But they're actually fluid and amorphous, impossible to define concretely. How do we know when one function stops and another begins when they all work cohesively?

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I've been perusing some of the older threads on this board concerning Fe.

There appears to be some consensus that the moral structure of Fe is somehow derived from society, culture or some external construct along those lines. I can't speak for others, but as a supposed "Fe user" I don't don't really identify with this interpretation. I grew up with religion and modern American culture, and yet, I don't agree with either on a Fe level. I'm sure my morals have been influenced by some external structures, like my family (and perhaps religion and culture to a lesser degree), but they hardly define them.

It also seems that some people see Fe as being somewhat "codependent" and fake. Perhaps this is an "unhealthy" quality of Fe. I would rather be brutally honest than tell someone a lie just to spare myself guilt or a nasty reply. There are some exceptions to this, but I've learned that most people can easily see when I'm "just trying to be nice".

I also have a hard time believing I'm incapable of experiencing Fi. It seems like all these functions are defined in such a rigid manner. But they're actually fluid and amorphous, impossible to define concretely. How do we know when one function stops and another begins when they all work cohesively?

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this.
    I think it's a fallacy to assume that the MBTI system is the be all and end all as many do. Apparently I have Fe as an tertiary function, however I'm more predisposed to engage in Fi type experiences than Fe as these feel more real to me.

Extroversion and Introversion are functions far more fluid than the MBTI suggests. When we act upon our feelings we are using Fe however I believe it is informed by Fi to some extent (I'm not really sure how feelings aren't really my strongpoint ) But the point is I'd just be aware that the MBTI is a preferential system it identifies what you act upon the majority of the time. Fe is not a bad thing, in fact it drives mediation a value too common betrayed in modern society.
    Last edited by Snowey1210; 11-27-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: tertiary not auxiliary!
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    You do deny the fact that Fe is your support function, your primary is Ni. Therefore it is natural for your opinions in Fe not to be derived from society, because your Fe is steered by your Ni.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Extraverted feeling is more complex than gestures and behaviors recognized within a society, certainly. My own experience, however, bears out a lot of conjecture. I typically have viscerally negative reactions to Fe expressions (as defined by theory), and respond with spontaneous affirmation to Fi expressions (as defined by theory). It's become more pronounced over the last few years.

A girl at work showed a bit of a liking for me, recently; we attended a couple figure drawing sessions and shared a couple of coffees. She could be ESFJ, ENFJ or maybe even INFJ. Weirdly, or perhaps reasonably, enough, it was her manifestation of Fe that prevented chemistry. Too polite, too conventional, too frequent projections of responsive facial expressions. I was standoffish, and I think she's moving on; for the best.

Tertiary Fe (theoretically deployed by ExTPs for tactical and information-gathering purposes) provokes me to the point of a poker face, if for nothing else to throw the user off; auxiliary Fe strikes me as ornate, if sincere, the stuff of compliments interleaved with patient criticism; primary Fe is quotidian and methodical; as for inferior Fe, an ISTP colleague is the only one with whom I've found an appreciation for authenticity, though he does rib me for my odd formulations of ethics and appreciation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Fe has nothing directly to do with society. It just has to do with tangible-ness.

As in, I agree completely.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Fe has nothing directly to do with society. It just has to do with tangible-ness.

As in, I agree completely.
    I think in the role of the entp the Fe, or no...wait. The role of the Fe in the entp has ALOT to do with society.

there are those moments when you feel beaten by reason. And then, depending on the one you are talking to, you either have to resort to T or F. To resort to T is easy and solves conflict then most of the times, although you wont be the one having the last word.

But F that's a different thing. When I ever felt that beaten down that I had to have to resort to that, I basically fell into a lethargy of societies accepted norms of behaving. And that's why I probably dont like discos. Because when I am forced on the Fe, its like you have to really get to a toilet but there is noone, even not miles away . I hate that feeling.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It indirectly has to do with society because society is basically made up of the value judgments of society, which are tangible.

Fe is good for awareness of societal values, but an Fe user doesn't have to agree with society or anything....

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You do deny the fact that Fe is your support function, your primary is Ni. Therefore it is natural for your opinions in Fe not to be derived from society, because your Fe is steered by your Ni.
    Agreed. Most introverts have a blind spot to their auxiliary (extraverted) function. It may be what others see in you superficially however you may not see at all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I've always though of Fe and Fi like this:

Fe: Judgment oriented towards the feelings and sentiments of others
    Fi: Judgment oriented towards the feelings and sentiments of one's self

Fe is not really "superficial" (unless it is an inherently superficial social interaction) except when used by a mentally unhealthy individual. Instead it uses social norms and mannerisms as objective tools to help "get into" the minds of others, just like Te uses commonly accepted impersonal rules and procedures to get things done.
    Autistic INFP