• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Range in MBTI types.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I recently noticed that 2 INFP's that I know are completely different. This is kinda weird I think. Maybe one of them was mis-typed but I wonder, which type has the most range in behavior? Which type is the least well-defined in general practices carried out by that person?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'll answer your question, if you answer mine first:

What is the human range in behavior?

;)

(or you might just give examples of their behavior)

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
One of the INFPs does not talk much. Not like "oh hey I'm the quiet person" more like the "I'm so rarely verbal that I really don't use the best English when I do talk". The other talks like crazy but usually as a comment to what other people are saying. That's just one example.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
One of the INFPs does not talk much. Not like "oh hey I'm the quiet person" more like the "I'm so rarely verbal that I really don't use the best English when I do talk". The other talks like crazy but usually as a comment to what other people are saying. That's just one example.

Well, I can see myself taking either one of these approaches. I used to not talk much, but then I kinda got pass that and nowadays I talk quite a lot (not with anyone, though). I think the problem is with the interpretation of the whole E-I dichotomy. Me being introvert does not mean I am shy. It just means that I am drained in certain social occasions. Your INFPs have different attitudes toward these occasions.

I actually like that "commenting other people" attitude. I also like to give other people a seed for a joke (I know what they would reply to something, so I turn the discussion in a subject they are sure to joke about). You know, something to keep up the discussion while staying off the spotlight.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
That's what she does, she gives random bits in to keep the conversation a-flowin'. She's really good at it too. He's not, hes really shy.

Another thing is she's psycho-crazy (in a good way) eyt he is the most conservative person I know in regards to things

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
That's what she does, she gives random bits in to keep the conversation a-flowin'. She's really good at it too. He's not, hes really shy.

Another thing is she's psycho-crazy (in a good way) eyt he is the most conservative person I know in regards to things

You failed to mention in the OP that they were different genders. That would explain alot actually. I'm much more like your male friend (based off of what you said so far).

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well, the other INFJs I've seen online are, for the most part, quite a bit different from each other, myself included. I tend to find much more in common with female INFJs than other male ones, though, which I think is kinda funny; it's like not only are we on the same page, but in the same sentence, even.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

She actually sounds a lot like me. At least when there's a party. I'd like to be really anti-conservative all the time, but parties are the only occasion when I feel like I am really allowed to...

He, on the other hand sounds a lot how I used to be. I was almost afraid people, especially extroverts.

You failed to mention in the OP that they were different genders. That would explain alot actually. I'm much more like your male friend (based off of what you said so far).

I am male and closer to what he described she is. I think the male INFP behavior overlaps quite a lot with the female INFP behavior.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If they're so different have the same range, maybe the domain was different.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I am male and closer to what he described she is. I think the male INFP behavior overlaps quite a lot with the female INFP behavior.

I agree, but I was alluding to the theory that female INFPs are seen as more acceptable in society than male INFPs. This guy doesn't seem as if he accepts who he is, whereas the girl does. As my self-esteem has risen recently, I'm finding myself slowly drift towards interacting in her manner, however, I'm still more similar to him than her. So it just seems that there's a difference in maturity between these two, from my perspective.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I think the range is huge. I've only ever met one other INFJ guy and I doubt anyone would ever guess we were the same "type". He's more reserved than I am and can be quite dismissive about certain ideas. He has yet to develop his Fe in any meaningful way, as far as I can tell. It's likely due to his family situation, growing up.

Maturity level and numerous external factors definitely influence the whole of a person.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my oldest sister just told me she was enfp too and that surprised me because i see her as being way more eccentric and extroverted then me....she is much more confrontational than i am and says and does a lot of things for shock value...but we are really alike in the way we approach life and people...i think i believe we're the same type but at first didn't.
i also wonder if her being the oldest diluted some of those qualities in me...like that place was already filled or something

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
type doesn't define behavior or even motivation. MBTI is a model for something we dont quite understand... the brain and it's cognitive processes. though behavior is reflected by these cognitive processes, it isn't defined by them (the image is skewed by external variables, if we are still using the "reflection" analogy).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ yeah...that makes sense.
i just get the impression that other enfp's are all happy and zenlike like me and she is not that way.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ya i push my last post a lot lol. it's annoying but true, imho

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I recently noticed that 2 INFP's that I know are completely different. This is kinda weird I think. Maybe one of them was mis-typed but I wonder, which type has the most range in behavior? Which type is the least well-defined in general practices carried out by that person?

I'm not thrilled with the question because MBTI types aren't supposed to characterize behaviors (they characterize thinking processes). However, if any correlation exists between type and behavior range, I'd say extroverts might display a wider range of behavior than introverts. If the processes themselves are the same, and environment the changing variable (the variable variable :alttongue:), then those more in tune to their environment would be more likely to reflect that variety in their thoughts/perceptions/judgements/behavior. In addition, extroverts may be more aware of others' reactions towards them, and hence more likely to modify their behavior in response. The ever inward looking Ixxx might just spend all their time reading and thinking alone in their room whether they grew up in Hicksville or Beverly Hills.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Moved to MBTI (tm), Enneagram, and other personality matrices

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I agree, but I was alluding to the theory that female INFPs are seen as more acceptable in society than male INFPs. This guy doesn't seem as if he accepts who he is, whereas the girl does. As my self-esteem has risen recently, I'm finding myself slowly drift towards interacting in her manner, however, I'm still more similar to him than her. So it just seems that there's a difference in maturity between these two, from my perspective.

Ah, sure. That is a good point. I think we can safely assume that most of the range inside types can be related to maturity. At least the most visible differences should have a lot to do with how much of your personality you accept.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ah, sure. That is a good point. I think we can safely assume that most of the range inside types can be related to maturity. At least the most visible differences should have a lot to do with how much of your personality you accept.

What do you do, if its much to accept ? Stay a child forever, wearing pants made of cloth ? :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Aren't all pants made of cloth? Ah, yeah, the Lederhosen! Are those like... a sign of maturity, down there in Germany?