• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function Order : Clarification.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think I meant cognitive wiring alone. I meant that a person hears what they want/need to hear. Probably similar to your "all is denial..." statement.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Questions and Answers on Personality Type from Lenore Thomson and Jeanne Marlowe, page 2

brain-regions.gif
Yes.
MBTI is correct.
After the fact.

The dichotomy is not after the fact.
You have the information.
Go back.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Mr Wildcat,

Are you in fact proposing the following

Ti = T1 + i
Te = T2 + e
T1<>T2

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Mr Wildcat,

Are you in fact proposing the following

Ti = T1 + i
Te = T2 + e
T1<>T2
The dichotomy has already taken place.

As much as T includes I is Ti.
Dolls do not add to the number of girls.
Diverse kind does not add in kind.

How much of the dichotomy we perceive at a time?
Fifty per cent.

The other half is beyond the pale.

1 + 3 + 3 + 9
2 + 6 + 2 + 6

The key is in the lock.

Last edited:
G

garbage

Thanks for this.. it was really informative.

A quote near the beginning of Gifts Differing helped me to understand why there might be differentiation between extraverted and introverted functions:

"Introverts are reluctant to use the dominant process on the outer world more than necessary because of the predictable results. If the dominant process, which is the most adult and conscientious process, is used on outer things, it will involve the introverts in more extraversion than they can handle, and such involvement will cost them privacy and peace."

This clicked with me because, if Te is my dominant and best trait, then Ti might bring me "more introversion" than I can handle. While I can exercise Ti well in analysis and problem solving, I also tend to overanalyze when left to my own devices.. which could be Ti run amok. That's had devastating effects on me in the past, and it's something that I've actively needed to control.

Anyway, that might be a fundamental explanation well below the scope of anyone on this board who'd be reading it, but maybe it'll help clarify why some might differentiate between, say, Ti and Te :)

I'd actually be very interested in hearing how others have used or misused their primary trait on the "opposite" environment! Maybe a topic for another thread?

Edit: Thread spinoff!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for this.. it was really informative.

A quote near the beginning of Gifts Differing helped me to understand why there might be differentiation between extraverted and introverted functions:

"Introverts are reluctant to use the dominant process on the outer world more than necessary because of the predictable results. If the dominant process, which is the most adult and conscientious process, is used on outer things, it will involve the introverts in more extraversion than they can handle, and such involvement will cost them privacy and peace."

This clicked with me because, if Te is my dominant and best trait, then Ti might bring me "more introversion" than I can handle. While I can exercise Ti well in analysis and problem solving, I also tend to overanalyze when left to my own devices.. which could be Ti run amok. That's had devastating effects on me in the past, and it's something that I've actively needed to control.

Anyway, that might be a fundamental explanation well below the scope of anyone on this board who'd be reading it, but maybe it'll help clarify why some might differentiate between, say, Ti and Te :)

I'd actually be very interested in hearing how others have used or misused their primary trait on the "opposite" environment! Maybe a topic for another thread?
For me, that would be using my iNtuition extravertedly, (not using the Ni notation purposely because of the topic of this thread :newwink: ) that would "cost [me] privacy and peace". I can definitely relate to that. I don't feel free to extravert my iNtuition very often.

PS: It WOULD be a good topic for a thread. :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Okay I'm going to try once more to adequately explain and that's it.

When is T not T? When it is Te? When it is Ti?
If neither then T is always T regardless of where you use it. If you believe otherwise then fine, please continue in your thinking. Who knows I may join you at some stage, but not today.
Look at it this way. There are vehicles, then there are moving vehicles. Jung, Myers-Briggs and their enthusiasts have selected to focus solely on the vehicles that are moving, not those which are not. The first thing all type enthusiasts state is that when discussing thinking/feeling, extraversion/introversion, etc in type, then it’s not the same as the traditional sense. So it’s a mistake to just call it thinking as it would be to believe that feeling equates to emotions when discussing type.

Back on point, a moving vehicle (as being considered by Jung, Myers, etc) can only be a moving vehicle when it’s either going forward (Ti) or in reverse (Te). Otherwise it’s not, and there ends the story. In the same sense you cannot call it thinking when it comes to type since it must have energy to live by either extraverting for its energy or introverting. Otherwise there is no life and thinking alone in type does not exist. That’s what type is about in my humble opinion.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Back on point, a moving vehicle (as being considered by Jung, Myers, etc) can only be a moving vehicle when it’s either going forward (Ti) or in reverse (Te). Otherwise it’s not, and there ends the story. In the same sense you cannot call it thinking when it comes to type since it must have energy to live by either extraverting for its energy or introverting. Otherwise there is no life and thinking alone in type does not exist. That’s what type is about in my humble opinion.
Except no one can reliably tell you whether the car is moving forward or backward at any given moment. Only that it's moving, if you're lucky. Therefore the e/i separation is useless.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Look at it this way. There are vehicles, then there are moving vehicles. Jung, Myers-Briggs and their enthusiasts have selected to focus solely on the vehicles that are moving, not those which are not. The first thing all type enthusiasts state is that when discussing thinking/feeling, extraversion/introversion, etc in type, then it’s not the same as the traditional sense. So it’s a mistake to just call it thinking as it would be to believe that feeling equates to emotions when discussing type.

I agree 100%. The problem I'm attempting to address is that a car going in reverse is still as much of a car as one going forwards. The direction does not change the object but merely note in which direction it is most often travelling. It also never rules out that a car has the capability to move in both directions.

If a car is most often reversing does this state anything about it's capability to go forwards? Obviously the answer is no.

Of course this isn't including anaylsis of certain perceived patterns and probabilities but that I would assert is more of an individual case analysis and isn't really reliable enough for broad generalisations.

Anyhow to continue with your example...
If a person prefers to travel by boat and not by car then they have a B preference... yes. The direction they most often travel in when travelling on said boat does not alter that they prefer a boat and it does not infer that they like a different kind of boat to those who most often travel forwards. The two issues are separate.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Except no one can reliably tell you whether the car is moving forward or backward at any given moment. Only that it's moving, if you're lucky. Therefore the e/i separation is useless.
The point is that it's moving, not motionless. Therefore thinking on itself is useless without direction from E/I.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The point is that it's moving, not motionless. Therefore thinking on itself is useless without direction from E/I.
Useless for what purpose? Really. I'm getting by quite well considering the functions as in use, or not, without regard to the object. Maybe some need to know what the object is, but not me.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I agree 100%. The problem I'm attempting to address is that a car going in reverse is still as much of a car as one going forwards. The direction does not change the object but merely note in which direction it is most often travelling. It also never rules out that a car has the capability to move in both directions.
Agreed, except that as we know people usually drive a car forward and occasionally in reverse so depending on you domiant type (Te/Ti) you will go forward naturally and may have some idea of drive in reverse when needed. What you will not do is drive consistently in reverse, no more than someone using Te will consistently use Ti and vice versa.. as we have access to all eight functions, but the Ti is not going to be natural and can only be done with limited use.
If a car is most often reversing does this state anything about it's capability to go forwards? Obviously the answer is no.
I don't think anyone is saying that Te types can't use Ti and vice versa, but one is natural and the other takes work and is not natural. Even though you use reverse or the other function on occasion (in particularly since Lenore Thomson notes that there are many things that you cannot use Te for and you must use Ti) you still drive forward almost unconsciously, but driving in reverse always takes a consious effort.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't think anyone is saying that Te types can't use Ti and vice versa, but one is natural and the other takes work and is not natural. Even though you use reverse or the other function on occasion (in particularly since Lenore Thomson notes that there are many things that you cannot use Te for and you must use Ti) you still drive forward almost unconsciously, but driving in reverse always takes a consious effort.

There are still different interpretations out there. Is it really unconsciousness with the function or trouble with switching worlds from E to I and back again?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
^ I was about to ask something similar.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Useless for what purpose? Really. I'm getting by quite well considering the functions as in use, or not, without regard to the object. Maybe some need to know what the object is, but not me.
C'mon Jack if you're thinking then you're not comotose therefore you're doing something. Your thinking is either internal (Ti) or geared toward an object (Te).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
C'mon Jack if you're thinking then you're not comotose therefore you're doing something. Your thinking is either internal (Ti) or geared toward an object (Te).
I think the point is whether the differentiation between Ti and Te is generally relevant. Most of the time I see T in use it is a blend of Ti and Te if you use the strictest criteria.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
There are still different interpretations out there. Is it really unconsciousness with the function or trouble with switching worlds from E to I and back again?
I don’t think it’s trouble, but you are not going to do them equally well. Just naturally being predisposed to preferring E/I will make some difference in which you do better.
^ I was about to ask something similar.
I am not sure what you were going to ask since your whole argument is that you do not believe in cognitive functions. Clearly you have your connotation of what thinking is which is not what Jung describes, therefore not what MBTI or the enthusiasts of both theories are considering. Give us your connotation of what you describe as thinking which you believe would encompass both Ti and Te.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've just started my blog where I discuss my sorting out through the interoverted vs extraverted attitudes of the judging functions. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/blogs/eric-b/872-my-sorting-through-my-own-functions-type.html

It seems the distinctions become very muddy and ambiguous at times (which goes agains the clarity the Ti type needs). Then, I have people like Xander who think I'm an NFP from the way I e-mail, somehow. But as I'm finally coming to a full grasp of the concept, it seems a lot of us have been looking at the wrong things in trying to type people.
Ti is often described as "understanding how things work". So as I struggle to figure out what's wrong with the computer and home network, mess it all up, and then a friend who I believe is ISTJ, yet who has this knack for figuring out computers and other technical things, and who set the network up in the first place has to come and fix it back. I then wonder if I should be embarrassed in light of my Ti profession, as I'm supposedly the one who should be able to understand "how it works" and figure it out.

But Haas and Hunziker's Building Blocks of Personality Type has made it finally click for me that Ti is really about the internal ordering of thoughts into logical structures, models and frameworks, rather than understanding all external models and frameworks instantly. It's because of the fact that an external system can be mapped to an internal framework that would make the person likely to gain a good grasp of the system. But it is also said that if the person does not have a particular internal framework that he can map the system to, he will be very slow to "get" it! This was pointed out by H&H, (the person seemed like they had a learning disability, but he just needed time for his Ti to do its grasp things) and then it finally clicked. His main method of judgment is still internal logic; he just doesn't have a model for that particular system. He doesn't automatically become a Feeling preferrer or extraverted Thinker or somethign like that. Einstein is supposed to have been an NTP, and he even failed Math! So this explains a lot that happened in my educational story.

Likewise, an extraverted Thinker would also be able to understand how things work. Since their logic is focused on those external things, they would really need to understand something about those external objects they are ordering.

So you will see two people who are very logically oriented, and deal in technical things. One will simply crack problems by focusing directly on the obect, and the other will map it to an internal framework like a symmetry, or familiar with those things work, etc.

Hence, Thinking as the neutral "car", and one person is simply driving it one way, and the other is driving it the other way. A much closer analogy would be someone who learns to drive a car by reading a manual, versus someone who learns by simply getting in one first, and applying stuff he remembered wither from watching others drive, or from the remote control toy car or amusement park bumper cars he drove as a kid. Or someone who reads a map to get somewhere versus someone does relies on memory.
Likewise, I had been dealing a while ago with a supposed type expert, who apparently does not really like types displaying her shadow processes a lot, and Fi was portrayed as virtually less feeling than an INTP, since the INTP's Fe is inferior, yet still in the "ego-compatible" range, while an FP's Fe is even lower than that in the ego-incompatible "shadows", and usually negative. It was like the two attitudes of Feeling were totally different animals! (Hence someone deemed not mindful of a group can't even qualify as an IxTP!) But, (aside from the CP tests, which measured actual strengths of the functions, and in which Fe for INTP's is generally the weakest, at 10% or less); then, I remembered how FP's are generally portrayed as "empathetic" as the FJ's, and began realizing that they weren't as different as the impression I was given.

They both are driving the same F "values" car; only one's values are externally based, and the other's is internally based. Someone using an internal standard will generally try to align with the values of a group he is in, unless a personal value is violated. Then, rather than imposing himself, he will try to withdraw. I imagine if the group is really trying to force itself on the person, he may seem more "selfish" than Fe types. But then this goes to show the relative nature of "values", as different groups will have different values, and who's to say which are really right? The negative side of the supposedly "selfless" Fe is that you could be following the values of a group that has really bad values. (e.g. hate groups, etc). Fi would be more likely to follow universal values (which are considered internal or introverted), and resist the evil.

But the overall net effect of Feeling is the largely the same in both groups. It's only the location of the standard that differs.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Likewise, I had been dealing a while ago with a supposed type expert, who apparently does not really like types displaying her shadow processes a lot...

Out of curiosity, does the "supposed type expert" you refer to have the initials "VJ" in her name?