• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function Order : Clarification.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Xander,
Did you see this?
Have you seen THIS?

It's a size 9, the most powerful shoe in the world. It's capable of kicking your sporen clean off. Do you feel lucky? PUNK!

Me and Jack (that still sounds very Pirate's of the Carribean to my mind) are on different tracks. Anyhow I posted on that thread. I know you're not really paying attention but you could at least fake it better!!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you seen THIS?
It's a size 9 the most powerful shoe in the world. It's capable of kicking your sporen clean off. Do you feel lucky? PUNK!

Me and Jack (that still sounds very Pirate's of the Carribean to my mind) are on different tracks. Anyhow I posted on that thread. I know you're not really paying attention but you could at least fake it better!!

LOL!
No, I meant that post of mine - didn't it take you to the brain hemisphere stuff?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is it not true that Ti and Te are both T?

If I gave this as the standard format Uc
fUnction and context.

Ergo Ti is T with a preference for applying it introvertedly and so on.

Is it not therefore true that an INTPs function order is TNSF?

Would I be correct in saying that there are only four functions listed in a types function order because of what it is describing, it does not require the other four?

Surely if the order is describing the order of preference for the four "functions" (as outlined above not in the normal subdivided Ti and Te sense) and making note of where the subject prefers to apply the function then noting the order of preference in which they use functions in a context they don't prefer is redundant.

OR am I barking up the wrong tree?

It seems to me that it depends on how you view the nature of Thinking. If you see Te and Ti as different aspects of the same basic thing, and think that skill in one has a reasonable connection/correlation to skill in the other, then what you're saying makes sense.

If someone believes that Te and Ti are irreconcilably different functions and work on different principles, then they will likely go with traditional ordering (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, Te, Ni, Se, Fi). If they believe that they are different applications of the same basic essence, then it should go (Ti, Ne, Te, Ni, Si, Fe, Se, Fi) or something rather close.

Basically, I think if you're right, then INTPs prefer both variations of N and T to both variations of S and F, although they most prefer Ti and Ne.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
LOL!
No, I meant that post of mine - didn't it take you to the brain hemisphere stuff?
Yeah yeah, smart people live in the northern hemisphere... we know this...

:devil:

I'm dubious about these "scientists" and stuff. They claim far too much certainty for a breed that can't find the square root of -1 nor explain gravity.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It seems to me that it depends on how you view the nature of Thinking. If you see Te and Ti as different aspects of the same basic thing, and think that skill in one has a reasonable connection/correlation to skill in the other, then what you're saying makes sense.

If someone believes that Te and Ti are irreconcilably different functions and work on different principles, then they will likely go with traditional ordering (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, Te, Ni, Se, Fi). If they believe that they are different applications of the same basic essence, then it should go (Ti, Ne, Te, Ni, Si, Fe, Se, Fi) or something rather close.
Belief? That's it.. go change you name. I humbly suggest Anathema.

:newwink:
Basically, I think if you're right, then INTPs prefer both variations of N and T to both variations of S and F, although they most prefer Ti and Ne.
Where the hell have you been?

That's a much simpler way of getting people close to what I'm trying to get at!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm dubious about these "scientists" and stuff. They claim far too much certainty for a breed that can't find the square root of -1 nor explain gravity.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's certain. But it is plausible at least, don't you think? Or are you agreeing with Jack and saying the Ti/Te distinction is nonsense? I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue here.

Not all brains are created equal - this much I'm sure of. ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't think anyone is suggesting it's certain. But it is plausible at least, don't you think? Or are you agreeing with Jack and saying the Ti/Te distinction is nonsense? I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue here.
I think the Te/Ti distinction is not as important as many people make out. As Eric put it wonderfully (even if he is playing coy now) it's more a difference of focus than function. Focus is a factor but the functions themselves deserve treating as important seperately. I've seen far too much blx written by people pontificating about Fe vs Fi and other such rubbish. There is no versus. It's all F.
Not all brains are created equal - this much I'm sure of. ;)
It's okay... I'll still speak to you even if you are stupid. I'm not prejudiced.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What about ?:

Ego:
1.Leading Function
2.Creative Function

Super-Ego
3.Role Function
4.Vulnerable Function

Super-Id:
5.Suggestive Function
6.Mobilizing Function

Id:
7.Ignoring Function
8.Demonstrative Function

Wherein the Ego and the Super-Ego block contradict each other with function type but not direction (I or E) and Super-Id and Id are a negative copy of the first 2 blocks, starting with the 4th function.

That makes ENTp:

1.Ne 2.Ti
3.Se 4.Fi
5.Si 6.Fe
7.Ni 8.Te

----------

That's a good invention isnt it ? Wait I stole that somewhere :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Belief? That's it.. go change you name. I humbly suggest Anathema.

:newwink:

You misunderstand... I didn't say there wasn't a truth, I just meant that there was no decisive proof of this working one way or another, and that people could find justification for whichever one they believe in. In fact, all the different perspectives on how they work may well show different underlying truths that cannot be reasonably reconciled inside a single paradigm, at least not at the level at which people currently communicate.

Where the hell have you been?

That's a much simpler way of getting people close to what I'm trying to get at!

Ah, some member on here intimidated me into running away because I hurt them somehow, and I feared reprisal. I'm hoping they've forgotten about me. If not, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

I suppose it was helpful, then? Glad to hear that.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
What about ?:
----------

That's a good invention isnt it ? Wait I stole that somewhere :D
Smoking kills.

This includes cigar smoking.
You misunderstand... I didn't say there wasn't a truth, I just meant that there was no decisive proof of this working one way or another, and that people could find justification for whichever one they believe in.
Awww..... :hug:

You get a triple A star in comforting NTs :D

In fact, all the different perspectives on how they work may well show different underlying truths that cannot be reasonably reconciled inside a single paradigm, at least not at the level at which people currently communicate.
Easy is for other's to work on. I'm after the BIG kills :D

ie I'm trying to prove that it can and should be done..... my way..

:devil:
Ah, some member on here intimidated me into running away because I hurt them somehow, and I feared reprisal. I'm hoping they've forgotten about me. If not, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.
I was kidding... I didn't expect a factual response..

Ah well if anyone thinks you're a meanie I can tell them with 100% certainty. Yes. Yes you are... but never with forethought.. :newwink

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Belief? What's belief got to do with anything? Maybe Victor was right....

What would be required for proof?

EDIT. Xander just said pretty much the same thing. :doh:

Even if these things can't be proven in any real sense at this point in time, it should be possible to derive criteria which could prove/disprove each scenario.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The socionics model is actually a good one, better than MBTI.

It tends to describe one or two things better for me where MBTI lacked making sense.

Try it out: Functions - Wikisocion

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Belief? What's belief got to do with anything? Maybe Victor was right....

What would be required for proof?

EDIT. Xander just said pretty much the same thing. :doh:

Even if these things can't be proven in any real sense at this point in time, it should be possible to derive criteria which could prove/disprove each scenario.
NT Down!! NT DOWN!!!

MEDIC!!!!

( :devil: )
The socionics model is actually a good one, better than MBTI.

It tends to describe one or two things better for me where MBTI lacked making sense.

Try it out: Functions - Wikisocion
Dude, I'm trying to get MBTI's functions to make sense. One thing at a time!!

Jeez!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:D

Dont try to hard, they really only make sense if you start benting the system. But if you take another system into account, you will get more satisfieing results

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:D

Dont try to hard, they really only make sense if you start benting the system. But if you take another system into account, you will get more satisfieing results
Ah but, young Jedi, there is no spoon. :newwink: