User Tag List

12 Last

Default Coping with "Cabin Fever"

I suspect that "E"s will relate to this more than "I"s but any input is welcome

So I had a knee operation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not allowed to walk on it for a while longer. I've got crutches, but I've been advised to keep off my good leg as much as possible so that the hopping around doesn't cause me additional problems in that hip.

For the next couple of weeks I'm going to be stuck at home most of the day. My parents are calling in most days to make me cups of tea and make sure I've got food etc and my SO has been an absolute gem in looking after me when he gets back from work.

The thought of being stuck in the house for the next 3 or 4 weeks fills me with dread.

I have things around me to keep me occupied, I have my internet access, and I have plenty of books to read, yet i find that when me SO gets back from work I feel the need to chatter at him for hours on end about nothing in particular it's just so great to have some more company... Unfortunately for me at the moment he's an INTP so he doesn't appreciate that too much

I get to the point where I just need to get out of the house - I don't mind where I go, it just has to be out and around people

Do other types experience this sort of cabin fever?

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Arilee View Post
    I suspect that "E"s will relate to this more than "I"s but any input is welcome

So I had a knee operation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not allowed to walk on it for a while longer. I've got crutches, but I've been advised to keep off my good leg as much as possible so that the hopping around doesn't cause me additional problems in that hip.

For the next couple of weeks I'm going to be stuck at home most of the day. My parents are calling in most days to make me cups of tea and make sure I've got food etc and my SO has been an absolute gem in looking after me when he gets back from work.

The thought of being stuck in the house for the next 3 or 4 weeks fills me with dread.

I get to the point where I just need to get out of the house - I don't mind where I go, it just has to be out and around people

Do other types experience this sort of cabin fever?
    I cut myself with a chainsaw (not deliberate) a few years back that required 40 stitches and 40 staples. My family physician has known me for over two decades so he knew that I was not going to remain idle. In fact while stitching me up he said, I know youíre not going back home and rest since you probably are still wanting to finish your project, so wrap up the leg to make sure no dirt getís in the wound and I will see you next week. He gave me crutches, but knew that I would not use them so also instructed that if the pain becomes unbearable or if my knee begins to swell too much, get off of it. More importantly he said don't tear the stitches or staples.

Otherwise he knew that I was not going to stay penned up in the house. Although I did not need to be around others, I sure as hell was not going to remain inside for that length of time. On the other hand I had my retna torn many years ago during a football game which kept me down for a week because my eyes were sensitive to light. So I guess it depends on you. Let your physician know whether you will be able to follow the restrictions and if not to provide functional instructions that coincides with your style of living.

MBTI
    INFP

Geez, Arilee, sorry to hear.

I broke my foot a couple of years ago and never realized what the life of someone whose mobility is impaired is like. Gave me a deep appreciation for being able to walk! Something I'd always taken for granted.

Dunno what to say. Acceptance of your situation may take a while. Patience, you know.

In my twenties I felt the need to leave the house constantly. Just get home and already planning where I'd go next.

My only suggestion for you would be to use this time to have a better understanding of your need to be out often and to develop some coping skills for being quiet with yourself.

The computer should be handy for interaction with others.

I've found that my husband used to go on overload after work if I'd hit him with too much stuff right after he came in and needed some decompression time.

And yes, do be careful of the "good" leg. After I healed, mine was more problematic than the one I had hurt. Not only the hip but the risk of twisting the knee, like getting into and out of a car, becomes a possibility.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I cut myself with a chainsaw (not deliberate) a few years back that required 40 stitches and 40 staples. My family physician has known me for over two decades so he knew that I was not going to remain idle. In fact while stitching me up he said, I know youíre not going back home and rest since you probably are still wanting to finish your project, so wrap up the leg to make sure no dirt getís in the wound and I will see you next week. He gave me crutches, but knew that I would not use them so also instructed that if the pain becomes unbearable or if my knee begins to swell too much, get off of it. More importantly he said don't tear the stitches or staples.

Otherwise he knew that I was not going to stay penned up in the house. Although I did not need to be around others, I sure as hell was not going to remain inside for that length of time. On the other hand I had my retna torn many years ago during a football game which kept me down for a week because my eyes were sensitive to light. So I guess it depends on you. Let your physician know whether you will be able to follow the restrictions and if not to provide functional instructions that coincides with your style of living.
    Oooh that sounds painful.....

I have managed to get out an about a bit - but managed to hurt my wrist in the process I am seeing the Physician next week so I should get a fresh set of instructions.... And i will explain that being stuck in the house for another 4 weeks is not an option if he want's me to maintain my sanity...

I'm being cautious following this operation as it is the 2nd on on the same knee and I want to ensure the repair work they have done doesn't get undone by me being careless...

I was also curious to know how other types would cope with being cooped up for such a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Geez, Arilee, sorry to hear.

I broke my foot a couple of years ago and never realized what the life of someone whose mobility is impaired is like. Gave me a deep appreciation for being able to walk! Something I'd always taken for granted.

Dunno what to say. Acceptance of your situation may take a while. Patience, you know.

In my twenties I felt the need to leave the house constantly. Just get home and already planning where I'd go next.

My only suggestion for you would be to use this time to have a better understanding of your need to be out often and to develop some coping skills for being quiet with yourself.

The computer should be handy for interaction with others.

I've found that my husband used to go on overload after work if I'd hit him with too much stuff right after he came in and needed some decompression time.

And yes, do be careful of the "good" leg. After I healed, mine was more problematic than the one I had hurt. Not only the hip but the risk of twisting the knee, like getting into and out of a car, becomes a possibility.
    I have certainly gained an insight of what it's like to be imobile.... and also how poor the design of certian buildings are for people with limited mobility are. These are things you don't realise until you are in the situation...

I was off work for 6 weeks when I originally hurt my knee last year - but I was able to move around - albeit slowly.... I was job hunting at the time so that kept me occupied - filling in application forms and so on, but I still drove the SO mad when he came home from work.... this time round I have less to keep me occupied, I read a lot and i'm finding the odd thing on daytime tv that I don't mind watching but it's the company that i miss for the most part. (I guess that's the "E" in me!!!)

I'm being very careful with the good leg at the moment - making sure I look after the hip kneee and also my back....

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

If I can't get outside, I get a very bad case of cabin fever. I have discovered that I do need to get outside regularly... well, every day... and that keeps me going. Last year at this time, I became very sick with pneumonia. I could barely breathe and the room was spinning so going outside wasn't something that I was thinking about. When I finally started getting better, the doctor told me that, since I had been very sick, my recovery time would be very long and that I should not go for long walks or exert myself too much. I felt very trapped and just not happy at all.
    The only things that kept me going were books and crocheting and other crafts.
    Finally, I was able to go out for long walks again. It felt good to do that and my negative feelings started going away.
    So... my hobbies and my books helped me out... you mentioned that you have books and that you like talking to your husband, but that he doesn't really care for a lot of conversation. Do you have friends who might come over for a cup of tea or coffee and who will visit with you for a little while? Do you think that having some visitors might help you feel a little less trapped??
    I wish you the best.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

awww i'm sorry to hear that that would totally suck.. any friends that you can call? I have a few backups myself for stuck-in-the-house situations..

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Arilee View Post
    I'm being cautious following this operation as it is the 2nd on on the same knee and I want to ensure the repair work they have done doesn't get undone by me being careless.....
    Well it sounds as though you need to keep off of it. Godspeed in your recovery.

MBTI
    ISTP

Yeah it sounds like you need to try and find someone to hang out with. Are there any old friends or family members who maybe you havenít visited in a while that are available? (Killing two birds with one stone ) Or anyone really. If them coming to you is not an option maybe have yourself dropped off at their house by someone? That or make good use of your phone.

MBTI
    INTJ

Are you still stuck at home?