Thread: Q for the Is

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

Default Q for the Is

Let's see if we can break down this shizzle.

As introverts (and particularly "INTJs" and "INTPs"), what makes you feel drained socially, and how do you experience it in real time?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Thank you all, for your interesting responses! Time to crank it up some!

1. Nearly all of you have suggested that it is human interaction that drains you, like an ice cube in a hot oven. I wonder, if you had to deal with something interactive (void of human contact) or rich in external sensory data, would that too make you feel drained? Example of such environments: a computer simulation/game, spending time in a zoo, or forest/jungle rich in animal activity (Come on now! I know what you crazy bastards are thinking! You be good and don't go yanking them animals. I'm sure someone's watching! :P).

2. Awrite, check this shit out: I propose that INXX-people are more easily drained than ISXX-people, because the N-function is trying to get the big picture (therefore taking in more information/interactive data). Yay or nay? And whay?

3. I have an introvert friend who claims that in order to maintain his "energy" for longer periods he is completely focused on his mission, whatever that is. He "cuts off" people (and everything else, that is irrelevant to his mission). Again, lemme pick your brains on this one!
    Last edited by Alpha Prime; 12-02-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Keeping the conversation up, that's why my best friend is an extreme E, the only thing I need to do is to correct him from time to time when goes out into white noise.

MBTI
    INTP

It takes a lot of effort to stay "in the game" if I'm meeting a lot of new people. Remembering names is also a PITA. I do enjoy parties though, and meeting people.

I also used to have a little social anxiety which was a major factor a few years ago. Now it's not a problem, but I've learned that occasionally I need to just wander off alone for a couple minutes to allow my mind to "reset."

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Having to keep up with conversations; even just listening gets to be difficult after a few minutes, and then my mind starts to wander. Just being around people can be hard sometimes.

Jokes aimed at me or something I like are difficult to handle, even when they're harmless; it doesn't matter who it's from, either. I've been told I don't have a sense of humor many times, when it's really 'I don't share your sense of humor'. And some people refuse to catch on to this, even though I've told them.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Let's see if we can break down this shizzle.

As introverts (and particularly "INTJs" and "INTPs"), what makes you feel drained socially, and how do you experience it in real time?
    Honestly, the thing that drains me most about social situations is committing the energy to put myself in the situations in the first place. I really am not concerned with other people and the types of communication and interaction that goes on in generally social situations are typically boring, shallow, and meaningless from my point of view. Unless someone comes out of nowhere with an intellectual conversation or if someone is vehemently defending a viewpoint that I think I could debate, I have zero interest in anyone else around me and will do the bare minimum to fit in to the situation, and generally I will become invisible, which is fine for me. I've found it very hard to do something that bores me, or I find to be a waste of time, so just committing myself to doing something I don't want to do is draining.

My typical night at a college party with some friends devolves very quickly into me just finding a nice corner, drinking and observing with disdain, and becoming more cynical as I see the terrible quality of interaction around me. If I can't stay on the beirut table, it's over for me. Same thing with family parties or work parties. I'll say hello when approached and go through the motions of idle conversation but I'll find a place where I won't be bothered and keep to myself.

Although I have to say, I'm not a bad wingman. I tend to see it as being a game, and I amuse myself in being able to decipher body language and verbal cues and see if I can garner success for my buddy.

EDIT:: Note that this is in situations where I'm not interacting solely with friends. With friends and family members I like I'm pretty gregarious and tend to emulate the personalities around me to fit in.
    Last edited by JocktheMotie; 11-24-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Elaboration.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^ Revise my post to read like this one.

Honestly, the thing that drains me most about social situations is committing the energy to put myself in the situations in the first place. I really am not concerned with other people and the types of communication and interaction that goes on in generally social situations are typically boring, shallow, and meaningless from my point of view. Unless someone comes out of nowhere with an intellectual conversation or if someone is vehemently defending a viewpoint that I think I could debate, I have zero interest in anyone else around me and will do the bare minimum to fit in to the situation, and generally I will become invisible, which is fine for me. I've found it very hard to do something that bores me, or I find to be a waste of time, so just committing myself to doing something I don't want to do is draining.
    Phrased much better than mine.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

what makes you feel drained socially,
    If I feel there is a need to restrain or cover myself. I'm pretty talkative if there's a friendly atmosphere, I can cope with that. But it is really draining if I can't let go and be what I am.

and how do you experience it in real time?
    I start to feel my reactions turning into a facade, I become a problem for myself since I start watching myself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

Being confronted with situations that I'm not prepared for and have little to no knowledge of really drains me. Most of the time, my mind just blanks out, instead of working to figure out some way of solving the problem, which leads me to rely on someone else to help me, or just try to b.s. my way out of it and hope they never see me again (the second one really only happens at work, since I don't know everything). It gets a lot worse if the person seems agitated or angry, and wants a solution right now, which makes me feel hurt and rather panicky.

I also get very drained any time when I'm around more than two or three people, or if I'm around anyone I'm not familiar with; I tend to feel like I just disappear, and even though I want to participate and be noticed, it's very hard for me to think of anything to say (especially when what they're talking about doesn't interest me, which is most things people talk about), plus their conversations just overwhelm me, and I always feel that if I speak up, I'll be interrupting them, and seem forceful rude and out of place, and I don't want to do that, so I end up worrying a lot about that because I don't want to be a third wheel and I don't want to be forgotten and left out. I think the worrying and loneliness and self-consciousness is what specifically drains me the most in situations like that.

I don't think I would even be typing any of this if I hadn't stayed up so late....

Banned
    MBTI
    type

How I'll describe my introversion, at this point in time:

I'm relatively self-contained, and real-world interaction interferes with the circuit of thought I'm most comfortable with. If alone, I have a thought, and bounce it around for a while, coming to some conclusion. If interacting with others, I have to deal with alien data which interrupts the circuit, and I'm compelled to entertain these thoughts as well. It becomes tiring, and after a while I feel a strong need to go off by myself to sort out extraneous data, and finish all trains of thought.

I theorize that extroverts' circuits are naturally incomplete, and thus they seek out interaction to enhance their own thoughts.

MBTI
    ISTP

what makes you feel drained socially
    Having to interact outside of my comfort zone. Basically, this is any interaction outside my friend circle. I can handle my family (mainly the people I’m closer to) to a certain degree as well.

how do you experience it in real time?
    Spending time (hours, days) with close friends can actually energise me. Adding even one or two people who grate on me into the mix can counteract the good feeling 5-6 close friends creates. Having to deal with people in public, strangers, particularly in more formal or at least rigid social situations (where I have to censor myself somewhat) irritates me. I become short-tempered, grumpy, more blunt and insensitive, and occasionally somewhat aggressive. I retreat to places where I can be alone, or at least partially control any interactions, but I highly resent people intruding on me at this time. Often family members will want me to “spend time with the family” (stare mindlessly at the garbage on TV with them), and this annoys me more. Sometimes spending some time with friends (one or two rather than a whole bunch) can pull me from this mood.