User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: Q for the Is

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Thank you all, for your interesting responses! Time to crank it up some!

1. Nearly all of you have suggested that it is human interaction that drains you, like an ice cube in a hot oven. I wonder, if you had to deal with something interactive (void of human contact) or rich in external sensory data, would that too make you feel drained? Example of such environments: a computer simulation/game, spending time in a zoo, or forest/jungle rich in animal activity (Come on now! I know what you crazy bastards are thinking! You be good and don't go yanking them animals. I'm sure someone's watching! :P).

2. Awrite, check this shit out: I propose that INXX-people are more easily drained than ISXX-people, because the N-function is trying to get the big picture (therefore taking in more information/interactive data). Yay or nay? And whay?

3. I have an introvert friend who claims that in order to maintain his "energy" for longer periods he is completely focused on his mission, whatever that is. He "cuts off" people (and everything else, that is irrelevant to his mission). Again, lemme pick your brains on this one!
    For me, anything that requires use of S is going to be challenging and/or draining.

On the surface, your proposal that IN types get more easily/quickly drained than IS types seems to have merit.

Is your friend a J?

MBTI
    ENFJ

1. That depends. Would I be stranded there, or could I leave anytime I want?

2. I propose that certain things drain ISXX types more and certain things drain INXX types more. However, the type of things that drain INXX types the least would be things that one would mistake for not being very draining at all unless you've tried to do them before.

3. I have no energy unless I have a mission. I live for the mission. There is nothing else.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    1. Nearly all of you have suggested that it is human interaction that drains you, like an ice cube in a hot oven. I wonder, if you had to deal with something interactive (void of human contact) or rich in external sensory data, would that too make you feel drained? Example of such environments: a computer simulation/game, spending time in a zoo, or forest/jungle rich in animal activity (Come on now! I know what you crazy bastards are thinking! You be good and don't go yanking them animals. I'm sure someone's watching! :P).
    I would be drained by spending time in a zoo or a forest, but not a computer simulation/game. I'm also not drained by interaction over the Internet.

2. Awrite, check this shit out: I propose that INXX-people are more easily drained than ISXX-people, because the N-function is trying to get the big picture (therefore taking in more information/interactive data). Yay or nay? And whay?
    I think this is so for the most part. ISxx types conserve more energy in the most typical situations. I can envision situations where this would be flipped, though.
    3. I have an introvert friend who claims that in order to maintain his "energy" for longer periods he is completely focused on his mission, whatever that is. He "cuts off" people (and everything else, that is irrelevant to his mission). Again, lemme pick your brains on this one!
    I have been known to do this myself. What really sucks, though, is when I complete the mission and find myself lonely because everyone gave up trying to contact me.

MBTI
    INFP

Obligation. Dealing with phonies. Loud, erratic people.

Drain drain drain.

MBTI
    LoLz

The second one is the same for S's and N's. The S will try to find everything that's going on, everything. The N will try to figure out a general idea of what's going on. If anything, I'd think an N would look at a zoo, say, "a bunch of animals that want to attack me" and walk around.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

A lot of the complaints in this thread aren't only valid for introverts. Lots of people grow tired of this stuff.

Being an extrovert doesn't mean you like being around people or being loud. And being an introvert doesn't mean you prefer quiet and solitude.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A lot of the complaints in this thread aren't only valid for introverts. Lots of people grow tired of this stuff.

Being an extrovert doesn't mean you like being around people or being loud. And being an introvert doesn't mean you prefer quiet and solitude.
    What DOES it mean?

MBTI
    INFP

Very little.

MBTI
    LoLz

A preference. I can be in a crowd of people or do something extremely physical, but it has a lot more pre-requisites than for an extravert. It has to have incredible significance.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I tend to avoid big social situations. I don't mind if it's something with may be 3, 4 or 5 other people as thats manageable..... anything bigger say 25-30 + people at a big dinner etc I dislike it to tell the truth.

I can deal with meeting new people in the first instance at a social function.... example....

When I started my masters degree the university department organised a course social..... initially I was a bit anxious but I had met a few people at the first lecture so it wasn't a completely new experience at meeting people for the first time. Those that I hadn't met, I actually quite enjoyed meeting and briefly talking to them and introducing myself. I felt that as the evening went on I gained more confidence and found it easier to go up to people and say hi.

It depends how I'm feeling on a particular day, though, as to how successful I will be at interacting with people. I can't deal with general chit chat and most of the time can't think of trivial things to say. If I don't have things to say then whats the point of speaking?? I get the fact that to make a conversation flow etc, you have to respond to things that person has said and look for trigger points that can lead to something else ..... but its just an effort sometimes, particularly when the other person doesn't seem to be talking about anything you're interested in!

I tend to think before I speak and have recognised now that I've got a bit older, considering certain things to say in certain situations creates, in the main, a much better portrayal of yourself to the outer world..... which I think is one of the main challenges an introvert has to overcome - being able to convey whats going on in your head so people don't think you are some aloof, anti-social boring person who doesn't want to do most of the things that other people find fun.

Also when some people ask me inappropriate questions in a social situation, particularly in front of other people, I find it difficult to respond. Mainly because it requires a reactive response without the need for thinking .... most of the time I think, "Its none of your business..." but can never seem to say this and end up either saying nothing or attempting to be vague or dismissive.

Afterwards, when I've left, I often find myself really disliking the person for asking me the question and putting me in an awkward state... consequently sometimes I may think to myself that I have been the one that was wrong to react the way I did.

In essence, I pick and choose what social occasions I attend and I did make it plain to my friends at one point while at uni, when I say no, I mean it ... and any attempts to keep on at me annoys me to the point that it sends me even further down the route of not wanting to go.