User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Q for the Is

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    IxTJ

At parties and social gatherings, I usually go for the one to one conversations. Extroverts having a talk-fest drain me. I recall attending a meeting of Community Visitors, (advocates for disabled in state accommodation) and the noise was deafening; I was the only introvert in sight. Think of being in a room where 300 loud conversations were taking place. All the Community Visitors were extroverts; it was their job to interact and that vigorously with the disabled and get their responses.

Where I am with big, big, crowds and have to intereract for long periods of time with a lot of people I begin to fade and have to duck out and be alone for five or ten minutes every two or three hours. If I can't do that, then I need to withdraw and conserve energy. By the end of the day I will have a headache, and be totally drained of energy internally and just plain tired. I will be talking goobledy-gook by then. Brain not functioning.
    Speak Truthfully, Act Righteously

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    they don't get Fi/Ni
    Perception/reaction to silence is one of the factors I take into consideration for possible success of my relationships, on any level. Are they comfortable being quiet in my presence. Since friends and lovers are people I choose to spend time with, we should be compatible in that area.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Perception/reaction to silence is one of the factors I take into consideration for possible success of my relationships, on any level. Are they comfortable being quiet in my presence. Since friends and lovers are people I choose to spend time with, we should be compatible in that area.
    I say that because me and my INTJ friend would hang out like that
    Him on his computer, me on mine; and everyonce and awhile, we'd watch a movie, critique it and resolve that we don't like movies that much.

returning to blissful silence...
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

Thank you all, for your interesting responses! Time to crank it up some!

1. Nearly all of you have suggested that it is human interaction that drains you, like an ice cube in a hot oven. I wonder, if you had to deal with something interactive (void of human contact) or rich in external sensory data, would that too make you feel drained? Example of such environments: a computer simulation/game, spending time in a zoo, or forest/jungle rich in animal activity (Come on now! I know what you crazy bastards are thinking! You be good and don't go yanking them animals. I'm sure someone's watching! :P).

2. Awrite, check this shit out: I propose that INXX-people are more easily drained than ISXX-people, because the N-function is trying to get the big picture (therefore taking in more information/interactive data). Yay or nay? And whay?

3. I have an introvert friend who claims that in order to maintain his "energy" for longer periods he is completely focused on his mission, whatever that is. He "cuts off" people (and everything else, that is irrelevant to his mission). Again, lemme pick your brains on this one!
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Thank you all, for your interesting responses! Time to crank it up some!

1. Nearly all of you have suggested that it is human interaction that drains you, like an ice cube in a hot oven. I wonder, if you had to deal with something interactive (void of human contact) or rich in external sensory data, would that too make you feel drained? Example of such environments: a computer simulation/game, spending time in a zoo, or forest/jungle rich in animal activity (Come on now! I know what you crazy bastards are thinking! You be good and don't go yanking them animals. I'm sure someone's watching! :P).

2. Awrite, check this shit out: I propose that INXX-people are more easily drained than ISXX-people, because the N-function is trying to get the big picture (therefore taking in more information/interactive data). Yay or nay? And whay?

3. I have an introvert friend who claims that in order to maintain his "energy" for longer periods he is completely focused on his mission, whatever that is. He "cuts off" people (and everything else, that is irrelevant to his mission). Again, lemme pick your brains on this one!

To 1 - no I dont think these things would drain me - being around animals and nature is energising - it's people

2. Yes I think 'n' is more tiring - constantly reading people and working things out re the big picture (with inf - I think its exhausting being around people alot because you are highly attuned to their emotional states and tend to soak it up like a sponge)

3. Yes - to get a project finished I do tend to cut myself off for a while - my job forces me to be sociable for several hours a day - I can do it but it wears me out - and if there is a difficult job to do I have to get away from the noise and interruptions to be able to think straight.

Alan Bennett (a self confessed introvert) once said that after a prolonged period of enforced sociability he felt strange - exposed - like he had done something wrong but couldnt quite work out what.

I suppose for me its also about the introvert need to think carefully before speaking - in situations which are busy, noisy and demanding - you have to speak up before youve thought something out as well as you'd like - I find that exhausting - and I sometimes say the silliest things!
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    No.
    Doubt it. I don't have to "try" to get the big picture, just as an S doesn't have to "try" to notice details.
    As I've said, interaction is a distraction for me, if my goal is anything but interaction.

MBTI
    infp

This just got m thinking about a conversation I had a couple of days ago - in passing i told somebody (we were talking about individual communication styles) that I was an introvert.
    He looked at me like I was potty and said ' really - I dont think so - you definetely dont seem introverted' I wondered if this was about m or the image pople have of introverts - wall flowers with no personality perhaps?
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    This just got m thinking about a conversation I had a couple of days ago - in passing i told somebody (we were talking about individual communication styles) that I was an introvert.
    He looked at me like I was potty and said ' really - I dont think so - you definetely dont seem introverted' I wondered if this was about m or the image pople have of introverts - wall flowers with no personality perhaps?
    yep
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    hmm... probably. Maybe he thought he was complimenting you by saying that you didn't seem like one.

MBTI
    LoLz

If I were in a zoo, I'd feel a little overwhelmed. My SJ would make me feel compelled to memorize every single animal's name and location.

When my store opened early Friday morning, we were all leaving the break room from our morning meeting, and I took a quick turn away from everyone else to take a shortcut to the bathroom. Then this girl was following me. She yelled out, "Why are you walking so fast?" I said to her, "Trying to get away from all the people!" There were like 25 people in that break room! It's confusing to me. All these people, all with different opinions, all thinking different things. It's exhausting trying to take note of each one.